Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Sprong

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Daniel Sprong

And Pens watchers able to give a sense whether we can expect Dan Sprong on the big squad this season or is it likely to be the AHL for him? The current roster suggests a possible spot at 3R behind Kessel and ahead of Reaves, if he beats out Rust, but that might be some hopeful reading of capfriendly.

Thx in advance
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Daniel Sprong

Pen fans on hfb seem to think he is NHL ready. So, in there opinion, its just a matter of getting a chance. Last year he was going to start the year with the club but then the injury. He responded well after the injury and didn't seem to miss a beat. I am very high on him but we will have a better idea once the camp starts.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm very high on him as well. I think he starts the year playing wing on 2nd or 3rd line. I don't think it will take long, however, for people to start noticing him. He's super talented. More so than Jake Guentzel imo. Things could escalate quickly for Sprong.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

The Great One

Yup - he has the most talent among young Pens wingers, yet as we know from the likes of Dupuis and Kunitz it's not always pure talent that leads to a gig on Crosby's line
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Solid comments gents, thanks. I was surprised he didn't get more love in the Guide this year, but would love to see what he could do with the Kessel/Malkin pairing.

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Currently, Sprong would have to beat out Rust and Archibald, both of which had respectable showings last year, and Aston-Reese, who was just picked up, and Archibald. The addition of Reaves tells me they want grit, so Wilson may be expendable, but that's still a lot of competition, most of whom have NHL experience.

I like a Sprong a lot, but whether he plays at all really depends on the Pens 3rd line C dilemma. It is no secret that the Pens are looking to trade for a 3rd C.

If the price is a current player, the pens probably hope to move Hagelin or Hornqvist based on their salaries. If the price is picks, they cant be too excited seeing as how their cupboards are bare since the Reaves trade. However, if the price is a prospect, I don't see how it could be anyone other than Sprong as he is their only youngin with enough pedigree to have any real trade value.

If I'm a Pens fan, I'm probably hoping for a Hagelin trade in the interest of the future, which may provide Sprong with the chance he needs.

What, no confidence in Greg McKegg in 3C?

I don't see Archibald as much of an issue- he seems more destined to a 4th line fill-in at best this year, maybe topping out at a third liner. Aston-Reese is more interesting as competition, but he's on the left and I have got to think he's going to need seasoning in the A. You're right though, the Pens are eye deep in cheap mid-grade talent. I'd be cool with Sprong in the A for a year and then slotting in next year in a scoring role (i.e. Hornqvist's spot). Rutherford would be insane to trade any young talent at this stage, this is roster will need a refresh real soon.

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Polecon View Post
    Rutherford would be insane to trade any young talent at this stage, this roster will need a refresh real soon.
    Insane like trading Klim Kostin and Oskar Sundqvist for Ryan Reaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    Insane like trading Klim Kostin and Oskar Sundqvist for Ryan Reaves?
    yeeesh, I think I blocked that out

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There's a better than good chance Sprong starts the year in the AHL, and comes up midway through, very similar to Rust and Sheary two years ago and Guentzel last year.

Sprong will not be traded for a 3C. Whether he should or shouldn't is kind've irrelevant, because he won't be.

Dobber Sports Master

He has the talent and tools to drop right into the top 6, but at least half a year or a full one in the AHL will likely be his course. Whatever their makeup at wing, this is the Stanley Cup champions we're talking about here. He has to be good enough to come in and disrupt the chemistry, which might be harder to do on a team that keeps winning. He definitely has the talent to do it though.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    He has the talent and tools to drop right into the top 6, but at least half a year or a full one in the AHL will likely be his course. Whatever their makeup at wing, this is the Stanley Cup champions we're talking about here. He has to be good enough to come in and disrupt the chemistry, which might be harder to do on a team that keeps winning. He definitely has the talent to do it though.
    This is a key point. The Pens are focused on winning, first and foremost, so even if they know Spring could produce he might not get the chance right away.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

With a huge game last night, Sprong has 7 goals and 10 points in 5GP in the A.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Stud stud stud

Dobber Sports Stud

Ya, I picked him up 4 days ago when I saw what he was doing in AHL, and now it looks like he's already exploding. Snap him up onto your bench, farm or NA slots now if he's still available.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby