Thread: Carr or Mariota (Dynasty League)?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Carr or Mariota (Dynasty League)?

14-team, 10 player dynasty league. So available pickings are slim at most positions.

My current QBs are Stafford and Bortles.

Based in part on his play and in part on their seeming intent to go very run-heavy, I'm nearly ready to throw in the towel on Bortles. And the Lions seem to be, at best, treading water offensively, so I'm interested in exploring ways to move away from Stafford.

As far as QBs go, the same GM in my league owns both Carr and Mariota. He also owns Devonta Freeman. But given his lack of overall depth at the position, he'd be in significant trouble if Freeman got injured. I own Tevin Coleman, who I could see be of significant interest.

So, two questions:

1) I'm always for building as much RB depth as possible, but any reason you wouldn't deal Coleman for one of Carr or Mariota assuming the way is paved to do so?

2) Given your choice, who would you prefer long-term between Carr and Mariota given the settings below?

Relevant stat categories are:

6 pt. passing TDs,
    1 pt/20 yds passing
    1 pt/10 yds rushing
    Bonuses for going over 300 yds./400 yds passing, and for long TDs
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Carr or Mariota (Dynasty League)?

I prefer Carr in pretty much any setup. Nothing against Mariotta, but I like Carr a lot more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Mariota. Good O-Line in Tennessee, dual threat and like his supporting cast (RBs and receivers) more so than Oakland's.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree with Golden. Get him now because i think his price will go through the roof after this season

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would trade Coleman for Mariota, I wouldn't for Carr.

Also drop Bortles. There is zero use in owning him.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Mariota. Good O-Line in Tennessee, dual threat and like his supporting cast (RBs and receivers) more so than Oakland's.
    Agreed, Cheaper price than Carr too
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for the feedback on this. As it turns out, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get either player. Other GM says he values them both really high. He hasn't even suggested a counter.

Not sure exactly what he hopes to do with two starter/keeper quality QBs he values highly enough to not even really want to dangle one . . . but, c'est la vie.

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Obviously don't know who is available in your league, but I would drop Bortles for Kizer right now if you can. I think Kizer is gonna make the Browns not need to draft a QB next year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Obviously don't know who is available in your league, but I would drop Bortles for Kizer right now if you can. I think Kizer is gonna make the Browns not need to draft a QB next year.
    Yeah, Bortles is on his way out (he's a leftover on my roster from prior years -- our keeper deadline is tonight, truncated draft follows on Thursday).

I'm definitely interested to see how Kizer progresses, specifically with regard to how chemistry develops with Coleman, Njoku, etc. The Browns have some nice pieces on offense and with a competent line.

Their line is more than competent lol. It's probably top 5 in the NFL. I think Kizer gonna be startabke this year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Competent is hardly an insult.

Point is, the o-line should help, not hinder, the offensive output this year. We're in agreement.

Yea, I didn't say it was an insult. I'm just saying, calling Dallas' O-Line last year competent wouldn't really be accurate to its performance. Same applies to Cleveland this year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Yeah, Bortles is on his way out (he's a leftover on my roster from prior years -- our keeper deadline is tonight, truncated draft follows on Thursday).

I'm definitely interested to see how Kizer progresses, specifically with regard to how chemistry develops with Coleman, Njoku, etc. The Browns have some nice pieces on offense and with a competent line.
    I drafted Kizer in my keeper league this off-season so I have been watching his progress pretty intently. My other QBs are mediocre at best (Semien and Goff) so I am certainly hoping for good things from Kizer down the road.

One of the things I had recently read about him after getting handed the starting gig was his chemistry with Coleman and how far it's come along in such a short amount of time. They apparently hang out a lot, going over the books, etc. Smart play for Kizer to tag-team up with the future stud WR for this franchise.

My apologizies for going off the rails from the OPs question.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."