Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sell high on Holtby?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Sell high on Holtby?

the article also says limit him to '60 start range' - I define that as 60 being the median. and depending on schedule, opponent, standings he could end up anywhere from 55-65 starts. But no where in the article does it say never play 60 again. If their back up shits the bed... guess who gets run out extra.. lets face it, this team will be scrambling for a playoff spot this year. If their back up isn't cutting it... Price will play 60+.

This is the same as a coach saying I want to keep Crosby or McDavid under 21min per game .. but find themselves in numerous late game ties, 1 goal deficits.. guess who's going over 21min??
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Agreed - there's the public line and best laid plans, then there's what actually happens when push coming to shove.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Veteran

That article is also literally a year old and he started in more than 60 games last season if I remember correctly.

Administrator

Didn't mean to derail. I just don't agree with taking any quotes at face value and would rather help steer people in the right direction.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would definitely not sell high on Holtby. It's a peace of mind thing. Plug and play and worry about the rest of your roster.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I've been thinking of this same idea in my league, as a Holtby owner too.

With my love of prospect hunting, I'm often guilty of thinking that I always need to rebuild when in reality I'm a contender each year.

I think most of us prospect hunters often place too much value on the new shiny prospect and automatically look at guys in their primes as "on their way out". Holtby is a stud. He may take a step back year, but that will still leave him in the top tier.

You're often better off running your stars into the ground, as the only time you'll ever get their real value is when you should probably keep them to win. Trust your stars and build around them.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    You're often better off running your stars into the ground, as the only time you'll ever get their real value is when you should probably keep them to win. Trust your stars and build around them.
    Good advice. I struggle with this every year. It's been about 4 seasons now where I feel like should be trading Ovechkin, but there's no way I would have just pulled off a 3 peat if I didn't have him on my team for the past 3 years. Better to walk away with those championships (and maybe lose him for less than full value) vs moving him for full value 4 years ago and putting all my championships at risk.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Initiate

in league in signature, I too am thinking of moving Holtby at some point this year. For me, this is due in part to his rising cost in our league (costs an extra $5 each year to keep him, $7 if win the league). I am hoping to move him for Vasilevsky (keep for approx. $21 less) and a star forward to help my run for the trophy this year.
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by joe jones View Post
    in league in signature, I too am thinking of moving Holtby at some point this year. For me, this is due in part to his rising cost in our league (costs an extra $5 each year to keep him, $7 if win the league). I am hoping to move him for Vasilevsky (keep for approx. $21 less) and a star forward to help my run for the trophy this year.
    Cap leagues or rising auction/keeper leagues are a different story (hence the problems of the salary cap era).

I like the idea of Vas and a good solid fwd and/or a solid pick(s). Right now, Holtby is top dollar, and will be for several years. Someone else can reset his price while you get a fresh start with someone who could become equally good.