Thread: Parayko- how do we feel?

The Great One

Default Parayko- how do we feel?

Have a decent sized offer for him on the table. Would essentially require Little plus.

I like his sogs a lot- a 9 goal season on his reume is money in the bank but...

My issue is caphit. Are we sure hes going to round into a 5.5 million dollar dman for fantasy purposes?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Parayko- how do we feel?

Nope, especially not if Peitrangelo maintains #1 PP, there's Walman and Dunn in the system who, outside of point shot are both more offensively gifted than Parayko. Lots of hype, but I think he's a 35-39pt dman moving forward
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm not sure if you're selling or buying Parayko but I like Parayko much more than Little.

Parayko's cap hit is high but he's actually a very talented offensive player, and at some point he'll explode offensively. He will overtake the #1 PP from Pietrangelo who is just there because it was easier to make the mid-season change with Pietrangelo jumping there since he's been there before (and also because Pietrangelo is not a bad option by any means either).

To me, it feels like the STL 'D' prospects are getting way too much love and Parayko's talent is not getting the kind of love it deserves. I don't see any of their prospects becoming as good as Parayko.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'm not sure if you're selling or buying Parayko but I like Parayko much more than Little.

Parayko's cap hit is high but he's actually a very talented offensive player, and at some point he'll explode offensively. He will overtake the #1 PP from Pietrangelo who is just there because it was easier to make the mid-season change with Pietrangelo jumping there since he's been there before (and also because Pietrangelo is not a bad option by any means either).

To me, it feels like the STL 'D' prospects are getting way too much love and Parayko's talent is not getting the kind of love it deserves. I don't see any of their prospects becoming as good as Parayko.
    Agree on all points! Finally some love for Parayko! I think Parayko's contract shows STL's belief and projection for what they think Parayko will be. I know all the stats about Parayko after Shattenkirk left, but I do believe Parayko can take the 1PP spot from Pietrangelo in due time. I'm not sure when that time comes, may even another year or even two, Butt I think it will.

I like Walman as a prospect, but I think both he and/or Dunn could be victim(s) of a clogged system, but I don't think they'll be as good as Parayko.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I hope his spot on the PP1 will come rather sooner than later because his 6.5M$ salary this year will be heavy on my salary cap!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Tical View Post
    I hope his spot on the PP1 will come rather sooner than later because his 6.5M$ salary this year will be heavy on my salary cap!
    Yea thats my concern too

Although hes 5.5 in our format

The Magnificent One

I'll say it until I'm blue (pun intended) in the face - Parayko will disappoint versus expectations for this season and the next few. In his brief time in St. Louis Yeo did exactly what he did in Minnesota, which is favor one d-man (in this case, Pietrangelo) over everyone else by a wide margin. Pietrangelo will be Yeo's workhorse, including on the PP. Everyone was waiting for Shattenkirk to leave town to see Parayko break out, but his stats actually got worse once that happened, due to the Yeo effect. If you're banking on Parayko getting more than 35 points, prepare to be disappointed.

This is also a plug for the DobberHockey Guide - my article there is about the fantasy curse of real-world talent, highlighting players whose on-ice greatness does not fully translate into fantasy success, and Parayko is among the players on the list.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I`m afraid the thing said above about Yeo is unfortunately true. He held Dumba back before, now he will do it with Parayko.

Parayko in any case will bring in a lot of shots, decent points and is ripe for a positive regression shooting% -wise. He will be a big upgrade for your D (Zaitsev, Severson). Even if the wildest dreams about his huge breakout should have to wait for now, I would do it for Little.
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Deity

At $5.5M, I don't like Parayko nearly as much as others seem to.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

AP is the guy not Parayko
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I only like Parayko as we count points, PPP, shots and +/- for Dmen in our keeper league. If I were in a cap league I'd be much more wary of him, as well as if it were a single season league, but I think the wait of a year or 2 will be worth it for him.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    I only like Parayko as we count points, PPP, shots and +/- for Dmen in our keeper league. If I were in a cap league I'd be much more wary of him, as well as if it were a single season league, but I think the wait of a year or 2 will be worth it for him.
    But think of it this way - if, as I expect, he disappoints this season, then he should be obtainable (via draft or trade) for even less of a cost this time next year, no?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    But think of it this way - if, as I expect, he disappoints this season, then he should be obtainable (via draft or trade) for even less of a cost this time next year, no?
    In most leagues you're idea holds water, but our 10 team league keeps 17 each year, so those 4 dmen in a points heavy league are valuable. Teams tend to keep 4-6 dmen each year, especially young ones, and despite my best efforts, owners are very reluctant to trade at all.

If Parayko starts gaining ground, I don't know if I'd ever see him again.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    I`m afraid the thing said above about Yeo is unfortunately true. He held Dumba back before, now he will do it with Parayko.

Parayko in any case will bring in a lot of shots, decent points and is ripe for a positive regression shooting% -wise. He will be a big upgrade for your D (Zaitsev, Severson). Even if the wildest dreams about his huge breakout should have to wait for now, I would do it for Little.
    I know this is a little off-topic, but it relates: Yeo didn't hold Dumba back, Dumba did. He just wasn't ready. He showed flashes of ready, but twice as much awkwardness and panic. He really started to iron that out last year - you might want to pin that on Yeo, but as a Minnesota fan, it looked to me more like a case of Dumba needing to hit two full seasons' worth of games before he could be trusted out there.

We might see Yeo lighten up a bit with regards to Parayko, I think he's generally a pretty good judge of talent. Parayko is 14 months older than Dumba, and has at the end of this past season played those two full seasons of acclimatization time. Plus, he isn't as blunder-prone as Dumba was - even as a junior, Dumba had the tools but had plenty of lapses.

Personally, I'm a proud owner of both Parayko and Dumba, although not in the same league. It may take a little while for Parayko to put up the numbers I expect, as he's still relatively new in the league. We've gotten way too used to young D stepping in and putting up points, we forget that historically it's not the norm for the young guy on the team to take over in his early 20s. I think we'll finally see Dumba hit 40 this year, after three + seasons in the league, and I think his hits will start to climb a bit now that he's more comfortable with his positioning. And I think Parayko will hover around 40 for now, but I definitely see room for more down the road. And considering there were only 23 defenders to hit 40 points last season, I think that's pretty great for 23/24 yrs old.

In a one yr league, if I was desperate for a forward, I might do Little for Parayko. In a keeper, with the scarcity of D in my leagues? No chance.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko