Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Google Memo

  1. #31
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    43

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Wait... so a random schmuck at Google feels he is entitled to disseminate his unsolicited views criticizing his employer to a large swath of the company but it's his getting fired for it that is a sign of a sense of entitlement?
    I'm referring to the online backlash, and how social media has given people a voice to spew their uninformed rants in everyone's face.
    Worse they (and the major media outlets too, which is even more disappointing...) often falsely accused him of things he never wrote, intentionally writing headlines to make him a pariah.

    And how is he a schmuck, exactly ? Prominent scientists have backed his main premise.

    I am really surprised at this thread. Really, really surprised.

  2. #32
    Location
    Ottawa
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default Re: Google Memo

    I'm surprised that people exist that are surprised this guy got fired.

  3. #33
    Location
    Pegulaville
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Google Memo

    California and other states such as NY is an at will state. Absent a contract, companies can pretty much fire you for sneezing in the hallway if they so desire. I don't know why this firing is being made out to be a big deal.
    @SmittysRant

  4. #34
    blayze's Avatar
    blayze is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,279
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    And how is he a schmuck, exactly ?
    He's a schmuck because he's now unemployed.
    Yahoo Cash Pool
    $200 Buy In / Weekly H2H / Points Only G/A = 1, W = 2
    12 teams / 14 man rosters (10 active - 6F/3D/1G, 4 bench)

    Forwards: McDavid / Scheifele / Kessel / Kopitar / Radulov / Schwartz / Trochek / Dadonov
    Defense: Karlsson / Pietrangelo / Rielly / Schultz
    Goal: Bishop / Schneider

  5. #35
    Location
    Ottawa
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Too much extreme, not enough tolerance. The media is complicit and divided/biased so that we only seem to get the far left and far right points of view. It's difficult to trust what you read or even see on television now because of the media slanting the news to meet their agenda's message. If you don't agree with one side or the other you are shouted down/vilified by the other for your opinion. Free speech truly does not exist when this happens. We are a lost society that is ultimately going to fall if we continue to be this divided.


    The pen is mightier than the sword...unless someone is trying to stab you with a sword. Then, it's the sword...definitely the sword.

  6. #36
    blayze's Avatar
    blayze is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,279
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default Re: Google Memo

    I personally hate the way we're heading as a society... free speech is dying. Can't say a thing without offending some kind of activist group.

    We might as well all be robots and start talking like Dion Phaneuf in his interviews...
    Yahoo Cash Pool
    $200 Buy In / Weekly H2H / Points Only G/A = 1, W = 2
    12 teams / 14 man rosters (10 active - 6F/3D/1G, 4 bench)

    Forwards: McDavid / Scheifele / Kessel / Kopitar / Radulov / Schwartz / Trochek / Dadonov
    Defense: Karlsson / Pietrangelo / Rielly / Schultz
    Goal: Bishop / Schneider

  7. #37
    forumname's Avatar
    forumname is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,679
    Location
    Victoria
    Rep Power
    47

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I personally hate the way we're heading as a society... free speech is dying. Can't say a thing without offending some kind of activist group.

    We might as well all be robots and start talking like Dion Phaneuf in his interviews...
    This may be the case when things are said or done publicly, but if you turn off the news you won't notice it much in your day to day life. I've yet to hear from any activist groups myself, and even though I'm generally pretty offensive, people of all walks seem to be pretty tolerant and open-minded.

    I think most people in real life are well within the limits of the two extremes we get exposed to by the media, and as The Comish points out, we're just bombarded more than ever with extreme points of view that aren't really an accurate reflection of reality. But yes, the scrutiny that public figures are under seems to have gotten out of hand to the point that I don't even blame people like Dion Phaneuf for trying to minimize it with their blandness.
    TEAM 1

    16 teams, keep 5, Yahoo H2H

    (G)(A)(+/-)(PIM)(PPP)(SHP)(HIT)(BLK)
    (W)(GAA)(SV%)(SHO)

    C,C,RW,RW,LW,LW,D,D,D,D,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR

  8. #38
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Rep Power
    40

    Administrator

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Don't be too bland though, you'll be scrutinized for that too!


    Send me a PM if you have any issues or requests for Frozen Pool!


    UHL Calgary Flames
    24-team H2H Roto Dynasty (G, A, GWG, SHP, PPP, PIM, +/, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW, W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO)

    Eastern Edge article archive

    Find me on Twitter for questions and chatter @DH_EricDaoust.

  9. #39
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    43

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    This may be the case when things are said or done publicly, but if you turn off the news you won't notice it much in your day to day life. I've yet to hear from any activist groups myself, and even though I'm generally pretty offensive, people of all walks seem to be pretty tolerant and open-minded.

    I think most people in real life are well within the limits of the two extremes we get exposed to by the media, and as The Comish points out, we're just bombarded more than ever with extreme points of view that aren't really an accurate reflection of reality. But yes, the scrutiny that public figures are under seems to have gotten out of hand to the point that I don't even blame people like Dion Phaneuf for trying to minimize it with their blandness.
    Are you still in Victoria? I think I want to live there someday if you truly think that "people of all walks seem to be pretty tolerant and open-minded."

    Where I'm from people might pretend to be tolerant and open minded but are usually pretty far from both.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'm surprised that people exist that are surprised this guy got fired.
    I don't think anyone is surprised he got fired.

  10. #40
    forumname's Avatar
    forumname is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,679
    Location
    Victoria
    Rep Power
    47

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Are you still in Victoria? I think I want to live there someday if you truly think that "people of all walks seem to be pretty tolerant and open-minded."

    Where I'm from people might pretend to be tolerant and open minded but are usually pretty far from both.
    No, not in Victoria anymore. I used to live in Calgary though and I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but at the end of the day people are still pretty reasonable there (at least the ones I encountered). I've lived on 4 continents and people everywhere are pretty similar. Maybe saying they're open-minded was a stretch, but there are very few people who are at the extreme ends of anything. The media focuses on extremes so it's easy to forget that.

    I'm currently living in the US (in a city that is the polar opposite to Calgary in many ways), and I find it to be the same in terms of people being tolerant and reasonable.
    TEAM 1

    16 teams, keep 5, Yahoo H2H

    (G)(A)(+/-)(PIM)(PPP)(SHP)(HIT)(BLK)
    (W)(GAA)(SV%)(SHO)

    C,C,RW,RW,LW,LW,D,D,D,D,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR

  11. #41
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    43

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Another excellent response to the Damore memo.

    http://www.ireneogrizek.com/women-google-memo-me/

  12. #42
    Rylant's Avatar
    Rylant is online now
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,820
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Another excellent response to the Damore memo.

    http://www.ireneogrizek.com/women-google-memo-me/
    It is an article that definitely raises good points. However, it, like many others, twists the truth by suggesting that he was fired for being brave enough to speak up. While that is sort of true, it does distort the truth. He was fired for talking harshly about the company which paid his salary. Google has a very specific and strict code of conduct, which he signed, and he broke it when he released that memo.

    Rylant

  13. #43
    blayze's Avatar
    blayze is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,279
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default Re: Google Memo

    I've lived in Calgary for a few years and as a minority I can tell you that people there are FAR from open-minded. They may act so on the surface, but Calgary is generally a very racist city.

    The truth is, outside of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, pretty much all places in Canada are fairly racist. It just doesn't come to light because everyone thinks of those major cities as being representative of all of Canada which is far from the truth.
    Yahoo Cash Pool
    $200 Buy In / Weekly H2H / Points Only G/A = 1, W = 2
    12 teams / 14 man rosters (10 active - 6F/3D/1G, 4 bench)

    Forwards: McDavid / Scheifele / Kessel / Kopitar / Radulov / Schwartz / Trochek / Dadonov
    Defense: Karlsson / Pietrangelo / Rielly / Schultz
    Goal: Bishop / Schneider

  14. #44
    Rylant's Avatar
    Rylant is online now
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,820
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: Google Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I've lived in Calgary for a few years and as a minority I can tell you that people there are FAR from open-minded. They may act so on the surface, but Calgary is generally a very racist city.

    The truth is, outside of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, pretty much all places in Canada are fairly racist. It just doesn't come to light because everyone thinks of those major cities as being representative of all of Canada which is far from the truth.
    I would agree with this. However, do you feel that there are people in this thread who are suggesting that this isn't the case?

    Rylant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •