Thread: Severson of a B word....

The Great One

Default Severson of a B word....

Anyone want to take a shot at this guys realistic upside??

I see some positives:

- Breakout season has him past the 30 point mark.
    - Hes still young, NJD is not rushing out to try and replace his skillset, and as a team they finally look to be on the uptick offensively.
    - With the added icetime this year he more than doubled his pims- so if your league counts it he might have a scrappy side.

I see some negatives:

- He has extremely poor sog production- big flag for me.
    - As to the first point- he only had 3 goals in his breakout year and as far as I can tell had to have some luck with his sh% to get there.
    - His +/- was horribrutal.

So whats the consensus? Im on a devils forum where more than one poster has likened him to a young shattenkirk or shattenkirk-lite. Does he pass the eye test? Are low sogs relatively common in young d playing sheltered minutes?

Im in a very deep league and Ive traded waay too much of my depth- lol! Now I cant decide if Sev is overpriced trade bait- or a core cornerstone keeper- lol!!!

Help ?

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Severson of a B word....

Be careful about assessing players based on feedback from home team forums. I think he's a 30-35 point guy most likely. Even though he was clearly the best scoring d-man he didn't even take the ice for 50% of the available PP minutes in his games. That's a bad sign to me. I don't think he's good enough to be "the guy" nor as one-dimensionally offensive to secure top offensive usage. As a result, he'll likely never be even a 40 point guy and could be at risk for big time deemphasis down the road.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

He's alright offensively and Hischier's arrival will make him a bit better. My issue is whenever the Devils bring in some real dmen Severson won't offer any resistance. Right now he's kind of treading water competing with John Moore...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He's alright offensively and Hischier's arrival will make him a bit better. My issue is whenever the Devils bring in some real dmen Severson won't offer any resistance. Right now he's kind of treading water competing with John Moore...
    Bang on. I also think that Severson is treading water competing with Moore and that he will benefit from that spot on the PP this year, for lack of a better option. I think he can take the majority ownership on the PP1 spot, but I don't think he is a long-term option, as at some point NJ has to address their need for D, at which point Severson will instantly be replaced.

Until that day, which could be sooner than later, I think Severson is a decent stop-gap.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm not as down on Severson as most here and suggest his stats (basic and advanced) are a function of he's youth (23, starting year 4) and being on a team with exceedingly low score rates. He's certainly not elite, but I think he's got the tools for low to mid 40s annually (ie top 30 D) if the Devils begin to approach league average GF (ie. +43 on last years third worst 183).
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm a Devils fan and honestly he's failed the eye test for me. He's an absolute turnover machine. So unreliable defensively, and while he's offensively proficient, he doesn't seem to have any elite skills. Just another solid puckmover. I don't think he is the player us dobberites thought he was.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I'm a Devils fan and honestly he's failed the eye test for me. He's an absolute turnover machine. So unreliable defensively, and while he's offensively proficient, he doesn't seem to have any elite skills. Just another solid puckmover. I don't think he is the player us dobberites thought he was.
    Im not a Devils Fan but I attend a heck of a lot of games and rtstr is spot on. A turnover machine.......

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Expert

In his prime, 35-39
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Giant

Severson has some skill but his overall game is not strong enough to allow him to showcase his full offensive output. I don't think he's the long term answer in NJ so in light of that, I wouldn't target him unless we are talking about a depth move.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

On the issue of giveaways, some might find this article interesting http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...reliable-stat/

Severson giveaway stat was inflated in 16/17, but that mean more that he's trying to do too much with the puck on an offensively challenged team; or that he's not set right in the roster. It's also a function of youth. Jake Gardiner was a regular whipping boy in TO until this past year when Babs found a safe quiet slot in the lineup. He still coughed the puck up a lot (sometimes spectacularly) but his 43 pts allowed most to move on to beat up Marincin.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020