Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So who else here is in 1 year draft style leagues?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default So who else here is in 1 year draft style leagues?

Whats your league set up?
    How long have you been part of your league?
    What kind of results are you getting?

I'm in 2 different 1 year draft style league.

$50 1 year league (frozen)
    - Top 8 Forwards
    - Top 2 Defence
    - Top 1 Goalie
    - 3 BENCH plays to use in case of injuries
    We usually get around 25-30 managers a year, max is 30, one year they had like 32 managers and by the end of the draft they were picking borderline minor leaguers lol. 3 Bench players and you can choose whichever position you like. So if you wanted you could do 3 forwards on your bench in case your worried about injuries to forwards (no benching or anything, who ever ends with highest amount of points is who you settle with). Been with this league for 7 years now, this coming fall will be my 8th year with this league and it's been going 25+ years so far and is very fun. Didn't make my first CASH in this league until 2015/16 season where I came 3rd/24 ($200 win) and 4 pts out of 1st place. Am kind of glad I didn't win to be honest, me losing lit a fire under me and made me more dedicated and determined to win a Championship and now and making lists and getting expert opinions on players ect. I followed that up with a 2nd/25 for a cash of $375.

$250 1 year league (frozen)
    - 13 Forwards (top 11)
    - 3 Defence (top 2)
    - 2 Goalies (top 1)
    This has to be my favorite league. Joined it my first time last season and finished 3rd/16 for $700.

Sure wish there were another 1 or two points leagues I could join, these style of draft I love to do. I go in $10 box pool leagues but they're not quite as fun.

What about you guys? What types of 1 year leagues are you in?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: So who else here is in 1 year draft style leagues?

I do about 4-5 one-year leagues every year, free - Yahoo. Good groups of forum members usually: RHRS is my fave, but the DobberPRO league is also challenging.
    I have another I do with some less keen guys, just to ensure I stack up well against moderate-fantasy hockey guys (I should be beating these guys yearly).

I don't like big money leagues.
    Those with trading end up being "buddy trade" leagues where when a team is out of it they sort of "gift" some players over to somebody and make up some excuse that it benefits both teams... ha - when one team has no chance.

A good, 1-year big money league has to be NO-TRADING.
    For those reasons, I still dig the mass-entry box pool formats - still haven't placed in the top 1% of any big entry pool... one of these days.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I do about 4-5 one-year leagues every year, free - Yahoo. Good groups of forum members usually: RHRS is my fave, but the DobberPRO league is also challenging.
    I have another I do with some less keen guys, just to ensure I stack up well against moderate-fantasy hockey guys (I should be beating these guys yearly).

I don't like big money leagues.
    Those with trading end up being "buddy trade" leagues where when a team is out of it they sort of "gift" some players over to somebody and make up some excuse that it benefits both teams... ha - when one team has no chance.

A good, 1-year big money league has to be NO-TRADING.
    For those reasons, I still dig the mass-entry box pool formats - still haven't placed in the top 1% of any big entry pool... one of these days.
    I agree with you on the trading and the buddy trades. That's why I love this big money league im in because theres no trades.

Dobber Sports Master

I wouldnt mind doing a ''one year'' league with fellow dobberites if no trading was allowed or as stunt says , rosters are frozen for something around 25-50 bucks.

if we have fun , bring back same crew each year

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I wouldnt mind doing a ''one year'' league with fellow dobberites if no trading was allowed or as stunt says , rosters are frozen for something around 25-50 bucks.

if we have fun , bring back same crew each year
    I think that is an awesome idea. I would be game for that, would be nice to compete against the best poolies in the world

Are there any leagues that would be a good treasurer for point leagues? best site to do a live draft? Or if we have a slow draft online?

I like the set-up of my big money league 13 forwards - top 11, 3 defence - top 2, 2 goaliees - top 1. But am open to everyones ideas.

The Great One

I usually do auction 1 year points only leagues.

No trading no nothing.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I think that is an awesome idea. I would be game for that, would be nice to compete against the best poolies in the world

Are there any leagues that would be a good treasurer for point leagues? best site to do a live draft? Or if we have a slow draft online?

I like the set-up of my big money league 13 forwards - top 11, 3 defence - top 2, 2 goaliees - top 1. But am open to everyones ideas.
    Id be down for this as well.

It would have to be a online draft Im sure.

As for treasurer, I think Fantrax has one. Ive never used one in the pool I commish so I don't know how those things work.

Pretty sure I would trust some of the vets around here though.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Id be down for this as well.

It would have to be a online draft Im sure.

As for treasurer, I think Fantrax has one. Ive never used one in the pool I commish so I don't know how those things work.

Pretty sure I would trust some of the vets around here though.
    Yep I'm pretty sure Fantrax would hold onto the money until the season is over. $25-30 is very good, not too low but not super high but if theres enough interest for higher money I would be game as well.

Dobber Sports Master

fantrax collects / holds the money for free but I think we'd have to use ''premium'' if you want to use their ''count best X'' feature .

what do you think of this idea I posted a month ago that didnt get any nibbles

copy of the recruiting post.........................
    I keep thinking that this is a really fair way to host a simple $ league (one year league)through fantrax yet be challenging enough to keep interest high .

using the duplicate player setting at fantrax teams can own the same players but you wouldnt know anyones roster until that weeks lineup due time has passed .For example , if mondays are used as the day to submit a new lineup (due 5 minutes before first game of the day)you wouldnt be able to see any of your opponents rosters until the deadline has passed --so no copy cats stealing ideas from the leaders haha .

if we could get 10-20 people at lets say 25$ entry fee / use fantrax treasurer to keep the moolah safe it could be a pretty honest pool .Most points by end of season wins the pot or depending how many entrys we get we can have a prize for 2nd and 3rd as well .

keep rosters and scoring formula simple so that the pool doesnt take up too much of your time . I was thinking 6 f , 3 d , 1 g and something like 1.5 for goals , 1.0 for assists then 2 for a goalie win , 3 for a shutty .

picking a fresh small roster of 6-3-1 would be a fairly easy chore and if you missed a deadline I'd imagine your previous weeks roster just rolls over .if certain participants fall behind at any point during the pool and decide not to continue playing they wouldnt be hurting anyones chances at winning .

anyways , just tossing the idea out there . I've never used fantrax for a $ league so fantrax treasuruer would be something new to me .If anyones had good/bad experience using it please chime in but it looks legit .

The Great One

Weekly line up changes? Im definitely out.

I love the idea of the draft, set it and forget it system.

I wouldn't have the time for a weekly line up league and I wouldn't give it the attention it needs.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm terrible in 1 year leagues. I think my strengths are trading and prospect evaluation. Plus, in general, my advantage in every keeper league but the WHL is I put more work in than everyone else. The initial snake draft is generally my weakest aspect.

Dobber Sports Master

yea , my suggestion is definately something that would require attention once a week to study best possible lineup to select and have it in before weekly deadline -but the good part is its totally hands free from much admin interference as you either make your picks on time or team just rolls over with same roster the previous week right at fantrax .

I'm game with whatever stunt comes up with in a ''set it / forget format'' .I like his organization skills so make it happen

on edit....

what if we used the fantrax duplicate player setting + dont count bottom X players setting but once 5 minutes before first nhl game of the season comes and goes your team is locked in for the season .We wouldnt be able to see eachothers choices until deadline passes so no copy cats .

make rosters big enough so that even though we can own same players (since its a duplicate player league) theres likely to be enough difference so that no two rosters would be identical .

most point wins ......

Dobber Sports Master

dont count bottom X scorers isnt a premium feature at fantrax fwiw .

thought it would be

The Great One

does fantrax take a cut to be the treasurer?

Dobber Sports Monster

Just an idea ...

I'll make a thread in the next hour or so to start getting names down and maybe we can go from there. I know the 13 F - top 11, 3 D - top 2, 2 G - top 1 is solid for the 15-18 manager range but I know if we got 20+ we would be scraping at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to forwards if we picked 13F. In my 1 year league where we routinely get 25 or so managers the Top 8 Forwards, Top 2 Defence, Top 1 goalie + 3 extra players to use at your own accord works very well. Depends if you guys want this to be a big league or a more smaller knit league with more players. Am open to anything though and have a couple stuff to do right now but in the next hour or so I'll make a thread about it then we will go from there.

I'll look into the fantrax fees and if it's not that high I wouldn't mind footing the bill myself.