Thread: Need some opinions on which Goalie to Keep...Dubnyk, Vasilevsky, Allen

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Need some opinions on which Goalie to Keep...Dubnyk, Vasilevsky, Allen

Dubnyk, Allen or Vas?

Weekly HTH,

GA Goals Against -.25 points
    L Losses -.35 points
    PIM Penalty Minutes 0.1 points
    S Saves .06 points
    SO Shut Outs 1 point
    W Wins .6 points

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need some opinions on which Goalie to Keep...Dubnyk, Vasilevsky, Allen

I like STL a lot more than Min, and I still don't fully trust Vas. Allen would be my pick, but I also think you could get more in a trade return for Dubnyk if you wanted to go in that direction.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Need some opinions on which Goalie to Keep...Dubnyk, Vasilevsky, Allen

Between Allen and Dubnyk for me. I favour Dubnyk simply because Boudreau's goalies always seem to excel in the regular season. Allen did look elite once Yeo took over but still prefer Dubnyk.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Gotta go Dubnyk. I still can't trust Allen after last years mid season train wreck. Yes, as we constantly hear after the coaching change he played extremely well, but a lot of that can be attributed to better bounces and good luck. A coaching change can only account for so much. As for Vas, again, his inconsistency makes me nervous as well. I would not argue with someone who chooses either Allen or Vas, as either COULD be the best of the three, but I think Dubnyk is the safest bet for fantasy points during the regular season.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Titan

Allen may have had a poor first half, but Dubnyk's second half inspires zero confidence.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow - its the ultimate Jekyll/Hyde question!?
    Good one!

Get this:
    Dubnyk was a 1.88gaa & .936sv% goalie PRE All-Star
    Dubnyk was a 2.82gaa & .904sv% goalie POST All-Star

Get this:
    Allen was a 2.83gaa & .897sv% goalie PRE All-Star
    Allen was a 1.85gaa & .938sv% goalie POST All-Star

Its like they switched roles!!!
    Amazing!

And then there's Vas who was...
    GREAT in Oct/Nov
    AWFUL in Dec/Jan
    GREAT in Feb/Mar/Apr
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/split...ei-vasilevskiy

LOL - goalies - streaky, eh!

I don't think there's an absolutely terrible answer here!
    All goalies are signed for several years!

I think there's three ways to look at it:

1. If you want pure UPSIDE (High Risk, High Reward) - it's Vasilevskiy. I love Tampa Bay's potential... but I do worry about the D-depth after Hedman, I think they've got all the pieces to be a strong team - and sometimes youth gets to play a lot of games.
    2. If you want short-term SAFE, 2nd best upside - the goalie that won't fall falt on his face - it's Dubnyk, age 31. Minnesota is still incredibly solid, they've maintained their main 4D, so everything will feel steady for Dubnyk - and Stalock is zero threat. Minnesota IS... old - Parise & Staal are slowing down and who knows if Koivu is back after this year.
    3. If you want long-term SAFE, 3rd best upside - Jake Allen, age 27. I think STL could finish with least wins of these three teams. That said, with AP & Parayko, I have faith they'll be between 6th-10th in the West for 5+ years. This said, I just don't see a situation where they get back to 45wins OR 100+pts - I'm not a fan of their team depth.

Me, personally, I like a nice steady boring goalie on a team that I don't see having tremendous downside.
    Dubnyk is my pick.

The Great One

In a saves league, it's Dubnyk - he's so firmly entrenched and Minnesota will have one of the worst back-ups in the league between Stalock and Svedberg. Plus, Dubnyk is tied for second in the entire league in shutouts over the past three seasons.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't know how you don't go with Dubnyk here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd rank them as you listed them above.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Monster

I really like Vas but I think you have to go with Dubnyk. Good situation despite the poor second half.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks guys, I was thinking Dubnyk anyhow because of the strength of Boudreau's regular season's.
    FYI Dubnyk was a 1.4, Vas a 1.3 and Allen a 1.2 points per week last year. Dubnyk would probably be the harder goalie to re draft.