Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Montgomery vs. K. Allen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Montgomery vs. K. Allen

In a standard scoring, 10 team league, who would you rather have? (KEEP 4, 2QB League)

Trying to narrow my keepers. Right now I have them as E. Manning, AJ Green, Cooper, and K. Allen.

Outsiders are: Montgomery, Ware.

Is Montgomery worth thinking about keeping over K. Allen?

Right now I am trying to trade for McCoy and/or M. Thomas. So that decision won't even matter if I can acquire either one, or both of those guys. But just want to ask anyways
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Montgomery vs. K. Allen

Even in a non-PPR, I'd still lean towards Allen here.

He comes with his own risks, but could legitimately catch 100+ balls if he stays healthy. He's also likely to have the far better floor of the two.

Montgomery's role is far from secure or defined. At best, he's likely splitting the workload in Greenbay's backfield. But even then, I think he's unlikely to be the primary short yardage / goal line guy, which is really key when valuing the non-elite RBs in standard leagues. So Montgomery's value also takes a hit in non-PPRs.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Expert

Allen for me. I think Montgomery will be dropped ont he depth chart as the season moves along.

Dobber Sports Padawan

See how things shake out in the next few weeks but I would definitely consider Montgomery as your last keeper (I would keep him over Manning though). The more I think about it the more I think he can be a league winner this year.

-He has the talent+opportunity.
    -the Packers waited until Round 4 of the draft before they started to fill in their depth chart
    -a full offseason to prepare for a position he was just thrown into last year. And he produced

How many fantasy RB2's are in a position to produce like a RB1 on most weeks?

What's your guys' thoughts on Micheal Thomas? Do you project him to be a top end WR this year?

Thinking about upgrading from Allen to Thomas and offered my 3rd and 6th Rd pick for him. Owner said he'd probably do it

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I know it's a 2QB league, but I'd keep Allen and TyMont and drop Eli lol.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think M Thomas is absolutely an upgrade over Allen. I think you can expect low end wr1 #'s from him this season .

Dobber Sports Veteran

In a vacuum, I also prefer Thomas over Allen by a good margin. But not enough to give my 3rd and 6th to get there.

You're effectively giving up three starting calibre options for whatever the upgrade from Allen to Thomas. Give me Allen and the picks and I'll cobble together a roster that has upside, flexibility and is more likely to better withstand potential attrition due to injuries.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    In a vacuum, I also prefer Thomas over Allen by a good margin. But not enough to give my 3rd and 6th to get there.

You're effectively giving up three starting calibre options for whatever the upgrade from Allen to Thomas. Give me Allen and the picks and I'll cobble together a roster that has upside, flexibility and is more likely to better withstand potential attrition due to injuries.
    True, but K. Allen hasn't been able to stay healthy. Thomas shows a lot of promise in a high powered offence. In terms of being in a rebuild situation, I lean towards getting the better keeper, not the best overall roster.
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Probably too late to the game here, but Allen for me. He has the clearer role and higher TD potential over Ty Mont. I also believe that as GoldenDelicious mentioned Ty Mont's market share of that GB backfield should decrease as the season wears on...or even sooner. Remember, he was a shit run blocker last year. The quicker Jamaal Williams picks up the blocking schemes the quicker Ty Mont is relegated to a COP role.

EDIT: ...and Michael Thomas over Allen any day in terms of fantasy production. Again, Thomas has the clearer advantage in terms of volume or market share in the passing attack. Tyrell Williams is a thing in LAC and is an oft used RZ target for Rivers. Plus Inman and Gordon will vulture targets too.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Its crazy how this has become a discussion... who would have thought a couple years ago we would be discussing K Allen vs Ty Montgomery...

Wow, what a couple big injuries can do to a guys fantasy stock... I would take Allen and would pray to the Football Gods that he stays healthy all year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Probably too late to the game here, but Allen for me. He has the clearer role and higher TD potential over Ty Mont. I also believe that as GoldenDelicious mentioned Ty Mont's market share of that GB backfield should decrease as the season wears on...or even sooner. Remember, he was a shit run blocker last year. The quicker Jamaal Williams picks up the blocking schemes the quicker Ty Mont is relegated to a COP role.

EDIT: ...and Michael Thomas over Allen any day in terms of fantasy production. Again, Thomas has the clearer advantage in terms of volume or market share in the passing attack. Tyrell Williams is a thing in LAC and is an oft used RZ target for Rivers. Plus Inman and Gordon will vulture targets too.
    So if I could get M. Thomas for my 3rd Rd pick (I have two of them), do you think that's a good idea? I'd then have to drop Allen.

My other option is to trade my 2nd Rd pick for McCoy, and then most likely drop Eli... but McCoy is 30, Thomas is 25. I'm in mode of a rebuild mode than a "win now" situation.

You shouldn't be rebuilding in a keep 4 league. Win now baby!

I get that it's a 2QB league, but with only ten teams, I'm not sold at all on keeping Eli. Is he significantly better than replacement vale at his ADP (eg, Taylor, Dalton)? I'd rather have Allen, Thomas (trade one 3rd) , AJ Green, and Cooper. And then figure out QB later. Corner the market at the WR position.

Or if you're not comfortable with that then trade your second for McCoy and roll with McCoy, Green, Allen, Cooper. Look at it this way. Determine where your second rounder will be, say it's 4th pick of the second round (just guessing). Then list your top 14 combined fantasy players. If McCoy falls within that range (...and he better) then do the deal.

Manning doesn't do anything that makes me want to keep him. What are the odds the other nine teams keep 2 QBs?
    @SmittysRant

All of my picks are the 2nd pick of each round. So I have 2nd overall, 12th overall, 22nd overall, etc

6 of the 10 teams keep 2 QBs, all the rest (except potentially me) keep 1. So that doesn't leave a ton of great options, but you're right- they're options at the level of Eli or just under.

So the decision comes to, Thomas for a 3rd and keep 4 WR, or McCoy for a 2nd and keep 3 WR and an RB...

McCoy would most likely get drafted within the top 5 picks if he was available in the draft. So a 2nd is still good value.

It's also entirely possible that Dez, TY Hilton, M. Thomas, J. Ajayi, J Howard all end up in the draft.... along with QBs like Big Ben, Tyrod, Dalton, etc.

Lots of good options for 2nd overall ... with possibility of Fournette in there too.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Shit, I'd trade a 2nd for McCoy, a 3rd for Thomas, and I'd keep McCoy, Thomas, Green, and Cooper. That's 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks in a redraft.

As I said in my first post, owners keeping 2 QBs creates a massive market inefficiency for you to exploit.