Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I deep enough on D to compete?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Am I deep enough on D to compete?

So here is the thing. We play points-based for the whole season, and the max limit is 82 games for a roster spot. I obviously need to reach that for all six D. My top6 is very good IMO:

Dougie Hamilton
    Seth Jones
    Zach Werenski
    Oscar Klefbom
    Colton Parayko
    Aaron Ekblad.

In the bench, I only have three guys who are just about to break in the league:

Charlie McAvoy
    Ryan Pulock
    Mikhail Sergachev

So the question is, can my bench fill in for the eventual injuries, or should I try to acquire someone. Defenders come at a premium in our league, and I am definitely competing next year. Thanks in advance!
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Am I deep enough on D to compete?

And to add a little more info, we have only two waiver picks for the whole season, and the pickings are slim, basically Stecher, Slavin, Petry.

Dobber Sports Icon

On the whole it looks OK. .but I'd be looking to package up a one of your bench guys and Ekblad for an upgrade.
    McAvoy looks like the real deal so certainly he would fill in nicely for injury time.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

The Great One

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your top six is likely to disappoint versus your lofty expectations. Ekblad, while skilled, will be deployed in tougher situations so as to allow the one-dimensional Yandle to do what he dos best. Expect no more than 35 points from him. And Parayko will suffer from Yeo doing what Yeo does, which is leaning on one d-man (Pietrangelo) over all others. In the 20 games after Shattenkirk was dealt Pietrangelo had 18 points and was far and away the leader in PP minutes, while Parayko actually saw his scoring an PP rate drop. Jones and Werenski could combine for 90 points, if the Columbus PP can rebound from a terrible second half. I like Klefbom and Hamilton though.

Long story short - your defense is not bad, but likely not stellar, especially in a 9 team league. Sorry, but I figured you wouldn't benefit from me sugar coating it.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ace

Your top 4 are great IMO.

But like others have alluded to, perhaps try to package Sergachev/Pulock/Parayko/Ekblad and upgrade your bottom two d-men.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, a reality check is always a good idea The D is certainly not the best in the league, but it should be improving somewhat, as the oldest guy on the D is 24.

Im figuring it is something like 4th best in the league if healthy, and that should get me close enough, as for example the centermen are probably the best in the league.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'd approach Letang owner offer Ekblad/McAvoy.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Wouldn't Letang like quadruple my injury concerns?

Dobber Sports Superstar

yes but the primary concern should be the prowess of the top 6 and adding him really deepens the blue line for ya. Although you own all nice names none of them besides Hamilton have touched fifty points, Letang healthy can score like a top six forward and the price will never be as discounted as it is in summer once season starts and he starts racking up points as usual the price will be too high.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I expect McAvoy to contribute somewhat. I'm less sure about Pulock in the NHL and Sergachev this season. I'd add another D-man if you want to max out your GP, but wait until someone obvious comes up and pluck them from the FA wire rather than make a deal for what might potentially only be a safety valve.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

With all due respect, having D with an average age of 24 is actually not that great. Peak performance for most comes later (my recent cage match column suggests just over age 28), and many produce great into their 30s. Plus, you scoff at Letang due to injury concerns when you should realize that Letang will outproduce all but Hamilton even if Letang plays only 60 games.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I also think McAvoy could be a play here. He looked amazing in the playoffs in all situations (barring the 1st game or 2 jitters), and if he keeps playing like that, he could eventually give Krug a run for his money (albeit probably not this year). At the very least, I think he will QB the 2nd PP unit, so barring a sophomore slump he could be a great sleeper/breakout candidate.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    I also think McAvoy could be a play here. He looked amazing in the playoffs in all situations (barring the 1st game or 2 jitters), and if he keeps playing like that, he could eventually give Krug a run for his money (albeit probably not this year). At the very least, I think he will QB the 2nd PP unit, so barring a sophomore slump he could be a great sleeper/breakout candidate.
    IMHO, there is little to no chance of this actually happening in 2017-18, and I live in Massachusetts so I know the situation well. There is a better chance McAvoy plays 35+ games in the AHL in 2017-18 than he scores 35+ NHL points.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    IMHO, there is little to no chance of this actually happening in 2017-18, and I live in Massachusetts so I know the situation well. There is a better chance McAvoy plays 35+ games in the AHL in 2017-18 than he scores 35+ NHL points.
    I'll gladly bow to local knowledge, but Really? The AHL? Even after that playoff performance? I just can't see him being sent back to Providence for anything less than making a pass at Bergeron's wife.

I Love Chara, but he looked to be fading by the day last season, which makes me think McAvoy is a lock for the 2nd unit. We saw how Boston's blue line got decimated in the post-season. If something happens to Krug, McAvoy could be their offensive go-to guy again. I like Carlo and Miller, but I don't think their offensive upside is nearly as goodbye as McAvoy's.

It's really just a crazy what-if scenario, but especially by the 2018 season, dont you think that he could be a serious threat from the blue line? For this season, I do think he could outscore Zdeno.

I really like this kid, and I'll go so far as to make my long-shot, dark horse prediction for the 2017-2018 season:

I think McAvoy can be the defensive name mentioned in the Calder discussion.
    I don't think he could win, but I think he could be the best defensive rookie this year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good discussion, thanks for the input.

Letang sure would probably be one of my best guys even with 60 games. But if I would trade for him with two of my defensemen, say Ekblad and McAvoy, the room for injuries for other D not named Letang would be ridiculously low. So that move would not be enough, and I would absolutely have to make another one.
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.