Thread: 3 Prospect Picks - 3rd, 7th and 8th - Who to Target?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default 3 Prospect Picks - 3rd, 7th and 8th - Who to Target?

I for one look forward to our prospect draft every year, as it means the season will be coming soon!

After rebuilding for a few years, I am probably going to be trying to compete this year.

With that said, the spoils of trades last year has left me with 3 prospect picks. We have a 10 team league, and our prospect draft is different than our regular draft.

In this draft, we are eligible to draft any player who is still considered a rookie, and roster them on our farm team for up to 3 years, at which point we must activate them. We can also activate any of our players on our farm at any time, and they are considered a free keeper for the during the off season they are activated.

With this out of the way, I know for sure Nico will be picked 1st. After this, I assume I will have my pick of Nolan Patrick and Clayton Keller.

After this I am totally unsure of what to do. I have all of this current draft class available to myself, plus most of 2016's (excluding Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, and Nylander). There are also a few intriguing names from 2015 who still qualify and are available, such as Chabot, Eriksson Ek, and Boeser. I have also been keeping an eye on Demko as an option.

As you can see I have way too many options, but you all have not steered me wrong so far, so any input would be more than helpful.

As a start, here is how I rank my targets:

Nico H
    Clayton Keller
    Nolan Patrick
    Sam Steel
    Brock Boeser
    Tyson Jost
    Elias Pettersson
    Cody Glass
    Casey Mittelstadt
    Gabriel Vilardi

FYI; The league for this is the one in my description.
    10 Team Keeper League - No Cap - 7 Keepers + Activated Farm Players on Year

Scoring(Points) - +/- - 1, A - 2.5, G - 3, Hits - 0.5, PIM - 0.5, PPG - 0.5,GWG/SH - 1, GAA - 0.5, SO - 1, SPCT - .05, W - 2.5

11 or 12 Active F - 4 or 5 Active D - 2 Active G - 4 Bench - 2 IR

Team

F - Galchenyuk, Pastrnak, Johansen, Kucherov, Huberdeau, Wennberg, Aho, Nylander - Free Keeper

D -

G -

Farm (Yrs left to be activated) - Eichel (1), Laine (2), Puljujarvi (2), Rantanen (2), P.L. Dubois (2), M. Murray (2), Patrick (3), Boeser (3), Jost (3)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: 3 Prospect Picks - 3rd, 7th and 8th - Who to Target?

I put Glass and Mittelstadt behind Pettersson and maybe behind Jost.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

You have a pretty stacked farm... is there any way to can trade 3 and 8 to move to 1 to pick the player you want?

I personally would try to move to 2nd if you were 100% sure Hischier was going 1 and take Patrick #2 overall.

Anyways as for your question

Who to target at 3... I would want Patrick... but you have to take whichever of Hischier, Patrick Keller that are aavailable at three.

For picks 7 and 8:

After those top three I rank them:

Boeser
    Jost
    Steel
    Glass
    Mittlestadt

So use that for your targeting!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Keller's at the very top of my list

Hischer
    Patrick
    Boeser
    Glass
    Jost
    Mittlstadt
    Makar
    Pettersson
    Liljigren
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Hischer
    Patrick
    Boeser
    Glass
    Jost
    Mittlstadt
    Makar
    Pettersson
    Liljigren
    Push comes to shove... this is how I rank them too.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Jedi

I should add, I would trade up to get Keller at #1... using 3 & 8... I wouldn't trade up to get Hischer at that price. I think there's going to be a sizeable gap between them
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hischer
    Patrick
    Boeser
    Glass
    Jost
    Mittlstadt
    Makar
    Pettersson
    Liljigren
    I like this ranking as well.

Keller definitely first over Hischer and Patrick.

Then Boeser, as the wait time is shorter, which gives you the option of unleashing whoever you picked at 3 along with Boeser, Nylander, Laine, Eichel and Rantanen all at the same time.

I might consider moving Makar up the list since you seem to have no d-men in your farm team, unless d-men are of less value or are easier to acquire in your league.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tdot1985 View Post
    As a start, here is how I rank my targets:

Nico H
    Clayton Keller
    Nolan Patrick
    Sam Steel
    Brock Boeser
    Tyson Jost
    Elias Pettersson
    Cody Glass
    Casey Mittelstadt
    Gabriel Vilardi
    Definitely try trading up to 2nd if you think Keller will be there - I would definitely take him over Hischier as well but if you know he's going first, then 2nd overall is good enough for you.

I would push Patrick down to below Boeser on your list, and flip Pettersson and Glass. I would put Chabot up there as well, somewhere around where Jost is. I'm too lazy to think about other players who might be available, so I'm just going by the names you mentioned.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Keller
    Hischer

Boeser
    Patrick
    Pettersen
    Makar
    Jost
    Glass

Mittlestadt
    Liljigren

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think Eriksson Ek is going to be a stud, but doesn't get the respect he deserves because he's in Minnesota's system.

Keller
    Hischier
    Boeser
    Patrick
    Eriksson EK
    McAvoy
    Sergachyev
    Chabot
    Steel
    Jost
    Mittelstadt
    Glass
    Makar
    Vilardi
    Petterson
    Liljegren

Dobber Sports Deity

Is Luke Kunin available as well? Id put him ahead of a lot of this years guys.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Well so far I have a lot to think about. I appreciate everyone's input so far! I am just going to reply to some of the questions here:

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    You have a pretty stacked farm... is there any way to can trade 3 and 8 to move to 1 to pick the player you want?

I personally would try to move to 2nd if you were 100% sure Hischier was going 1 and take Patrick #2 overall.

Anyways as for your question

Who to target at 3... I would want Patrick... but you have to take whichever of Hischier, Patrick Keller that are aavailable at three.

For picks 7 and 8:

After those top three I rank them:

Boeser
    Jost
    Steel
    Glass
    Mittlestadt

So use that for your targeting!
    I should add, I would trade up to get Keller at #1... using 3 & 8... I wouldn't trade up to get Hischer at that price. I think there's going to be a sizeable gap between them
    I have reached out to the person with the 1st overall pick, but he's pretty set on picking Nico. And he thinks he wont be there if he trades down, so unfortunately unless I offer more than I am comfortable doing (I offered 3rd and 7th/8th), he is going to turn it down. Person with 2nd Overall wont trade, and really he is who I am worried about, as he is very prospect savvy and I feel would take Keller before Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    I think Eriksson Ek is going to be a stud, but doesn't get the respect he deserves because he's in Minnesota's system.

Keller
    Hischier
    Boeser
    Patrick
    Eriksson EK
    McAvoy
    Sergachyev
    Chabot
    Steel
    Jost
    Mittelstadt
    Glass
    Makar
    Vilardi
    Petterson
    Liljegren
    I actually like Eriksson Ek quite a bit, but I feel he would be available as someone to take in my non prospect draft, as a late round pick. Also, do you feel he would be playing in the top 2 lines in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Is Luke Kunin available as well? Id put him ahead of a lot of this years guys.
    Kunin is also available, and just going of Dobber's Prospect Rankings, here is who would be available still:

1 Clayton Keller ARI
    2 Nico Hischier NJD
    3 Nolan Patrick PHI
    5 Vadim Shipachyov VGK
    6 Brock Boeser VAN
    8 Kevin Labanc SJS
    9 Oliver Bjorkstrand CBJ
    13 Tyson Jost COL
    14 Kirill Kaprizov MIN
    15 Cody Glass VGK
    16 Timo Meier SJS
    17 Sam Steel ANA
    18 Anthony Beauvillier NYI
    19 Josh Ho-Sang NYI o
    20 Jakub Vrana WAS o
    21 Colin White OTT o
    22 Brendan Perlini ARI
    23 Ivan Barbashev STL
    24 Luke Kunin MIN
    25 Christian Fischer ARI
    27 Evgeny Svechnikov
    28 Casey Mittelstadt
    29 Joel Eriksson Ek
    30 Elias Pettersson
    32 Nikolay Goldobin

Scoring(Points) - +/- - 1, A - 2.5, G - 3, Hits - 0.5, PIM - 0.5, PPG - 0.5,GWG/SH - 1, GAA - 0.5, SO - 1, SPCT - .05, W - 2.5

Team

F - Galchenyuk, Pastrnak, Johansen, Kucherov, Huberdeau, Wennberg, Aho, Nylander - Free Keeper

D -

G -

Farm (Yrs left to be activated) - Eichel (1), Laine (2), Puljujarvi (2), Rantanen (2), P.L. Dubois (2), M. Murray (2), Patrick (3), Boeser (3), Jost (3)

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey Everyone, all the feedback was much appreciated. One wrinkle I have overlooked and was hoping for some input would be potential goalies. Goalies who still would qualify as rookies, such as Demko and Saros. As I have 3 years to activate them, I feel that will be enough time that I could consider both of them. Based on the rankings above, where would you slot these two in? As goalies are fairly valuable in my league, I would be tempted to slot them in as such:

Clayton Keller
    Nico H
    Nolan Patrick
    Sam Steel
    Brock Boeser
    Tyson Jost
    Thatcher Demko
    Jusse Saros
    Luke Kunin
    Mittlstadt
    Makar
    Pettersson
    Liljigren

Any input regarding the goalies and where to rank them?

Team

D -

G -