Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 7

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 2017 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 7

My Team: Graham Quackers

So... I dislike when people build-in "pre-excuses" for their fantasy football season, but that's how I'll start.
    On Friday afternoon, I spent an hour at work planning my draft strategy and decided I needed a rock at RB, with limited competition, somebody healthy.
    I identified Melvin Gordon, RB (LAC) to be there at #5 overall, and vowed to take him.
    Fast forward 6 hours, my kid had a birthday dinner, followed by my wife needing me to clean up, + slow internet = missed my opening round pick.
    Cursed, loudly. (Temporarily mad at wife who says "Is this really a big deal?...")
    Meh, guess... not.

Round 1: Odell Beckham, JR (WR-NYG) -auto-drafted. (Wanted Melvin Gordon).
    But from there, the picks are all mine.
    Round 2: Amari Cooper (WR-OAK)... felt "the end" coming of the top two tiers of WRs, about 10 guys - you never want to miss the end of a tier.
    Round 3: Aaron Rodgers (QB-GB). I usually try to "value draft" a QB, but part of missing out on RB meant needing lots of slots, so drafting just ONE QB and then ONE TE, I realized, would allow me this luxury.
    Round 4: Jimmy Graham (TE-SEA). I like Graham in that top 4-5 TEs, see above note.
    Round 5: Jarvis Landry (WR-MIA). What I like about Landry (among the guys available) was his Bye Week 11. OBJ is Bye 8, Cooper is Bye 10... and...
    Round 6: Mike Gillislee (RB-NE). Not huge on this pick, but I set a reminder to get NE RB2 as well... there will be TD there... and ground carries with leads.
    Round 7: Chris Hogan (WR-NE). Hogan has a Bye in 9. That gives me 4 WRs with BYEs in 8/9/10/11. Done with WR - and I can roll this all year, barring injuries.
    After this, I went with RBs in SEVEN, 7!!!!, straight rounds:
    8th: Rawls (SEA)
    9th: Sproles (PHI - Blount sucks)
    10th: McFadden (DAL - hoping he's a starting two RB for a few weeks with Zeke hopefully still suspended)
    11th: Burkhead (NE, insurance on Gillislee)
    12th: Jam.Williams (GB)
    13th: C.Sims (TB, since dropped for OAK-D, playing week #2 vs. NYJ)
    14th: Jon.Williams (BUF, since dropped for McManus, K-DEN)
    15th: Buffalo (D), opening week vs. NYJ

Do I like my team?
    Meh, I suppose. I would've much preferred a solid RB1, esp with OBJ injured possibly week #1.
    But, I really like my strategy on the fly, needing just one QB (until Week 8), one TE (until Week 6).

Yahoo projections actually put me with a top 3 grade (B+), draft day projection, and power ranking.
    The "numbers" shake out really well in this 14-team league, with Rodgers having such a great differential above the waiver-level QB.

We all know RBs will go down, and I have set up a system where I have five of them on my bench.
    Out of the gate, Week #1, I have a Yahoo projection score of 103.46pts - tops in league... so for now, barring injury, team looks solid.
    I'm counting on McFadden getting the DAL-RB start... and I really need to beat the league's projected weak team, Fightin' Newfs, to get a good start.
    Hopefully I'll figure out the RB-mess within 3-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 19, 2017 at 8:02 AM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I really need to beat the league's projected weak team, Fightin' Newfs
    Hey. I resemble that remark.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Icon

Pengwin7, looks like there's a glitch in the Yahoo system regarding roster moves. We're supposed to be limited to 3 moves per week, but I just made an add/drop and it still shows me as having used 0 of 3 moves. One team has already made 4 moves.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

^ I believe that was me. Sorry crew, I wasn't really paying attention. Can reverse the 4th move or whatever, I've been pretty scattered across a lot of leagues this past week.

The Wolverine

The move limit may not kick in until week one begins. Not sure though.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    The move limit may not kick in until week one begins. Not sure though.
    Pretty sure that's usually how it works
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Unreal, my kicker shit the bed. Brady shit the bed. I shit the bed. My cat shit the bed.

Ugh.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Unreal, my kicker shit the bed. Brady shit the bed. I shit the bed. My cat shit the bed.

Ugh.
    Seems to have been a theme this week. I feel like an inordinate number of players came up short so far this week. At least you didn't start Dalton! (he was thankfully on my bench)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think a lot of people had down weeks.
    In Tier I, 13/14 teams are red (below their Yahoo! projections).
    Only "Team Kareem Hunt" is above.

For my own team, I had:
    i) My WR3 get his game moved (MIA-Landry)...
    ii) My WR1 (OBJ) was a game-time decision, and I couldn't adjust because I had men's league hockey at 7pm.
    iii) My RB2 for the week, Darren McFadden, was inactive because the Zeke Elliott camped pulled some strings to get him into week 1 and further - super.

When I checked yesterday at 5:00pm, I had a Yahoo projected lead of 100-70 over my opponent.
    I check it today and it says 77-72. Ooof.
    Just need the Broncos (& McManus) to put up about 17+pts on the Chargers (who my opp is rolling for his D).
    Though... just watch... the fickle fantasy football gods will somehow allow the Chargers to score two defensive touchdowns and beat the Broncos.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think a lot of people had down weeks.
    In Tier I, 13/14 teams are red (below their Yahoo! projections).
    Only "Team Kareem Hunt" is above.

For my own team, I had:
    i) My WR3 get his game moved (MIA-Landry)...
    ii) My WR1 (OBJ) was a game-time decision, and I couldn't adjust because I had men's league hockey at 7pm.
    iii) My RB2 for the week, Darren McFadden, was inactive because the Zeke Elliott camped pulled some strings to get him into week 1 and further - super.

When I checked yesterday at 5:00pm, I had a Yahoo projected lead of 100-70 over my opponent.
    I check it today and it says 77-72. Ooof.
    Just need the Broncos (& McManus) to put up about 17+pts on the Chargers (who my opp is rolling for his D).
    Though... just watch... the fickle fantasy football gods will somehow allow the Chargers to score two defensive touchdowns and beat the Broncos.
    Exact same in Tier II, and I posted similarly in there. Fortunately, Team Kareem Hunt is me. And picking the Rams defense didn't hurt either. But otherwise, underperformances across the board.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Fantasy teams aside, it was a bad week of football.

Dobber Sports Deity

I had a great week from Stafford but the rest of my team sucked ass to this point. I still have both RBs to go yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

I like those fantasy gods. But they never work out in my favour. My guess is both Defensive TDs would be called back because of phantom holding calls.

As for everyone having a down week, the most common reasoning I heard is that teams rest their players so much in exhibition, that this is really like the pre-season for many of these teams. They need a game or two to get the timing back, and just to get back into the general swing of things.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Guru

About eight minutes into the game, Denver threw a pass that a Chargers defender had in his hands for an easy pick six and dropped it. I figured if Denver scored then, I was done. Sure enough, Denver marched down the field and scored a touchdown. Game went off for most of the night at that point.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    About eight minutes into the game, Denver threw a pass that a Chargers defender had in his hands for an easy pick six and dropped it.
    Crazy - I was thinking the exact same thing at that play - I know the exact play you are talking about - total pick six, guy just bobbled it.
    I barely escaped this week... really rolled the dice on not picking up a OBJ replacement, thinking I had a statistical likelihood that McManus (DEN) would give enough compared to LAC-D.
    I was surprised the score was so close. When I went to bed after Q3 last night, I was up about 6-7pts... but apparently LAC got a fumble a pick... 3 more sacks in the 4th Q!!!