Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Took a year off from Fantasy Hockey

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Took a year off from Fantasy Hockey

Hey there guys.

Just wanted to post this because it's a new thing for me and been bugging the crap outta me.

Really I shouldn't say I "took a year off" but that's what it feels like. Still set my rosters and was online in my leagues daily. What happened was when I found out my wife was pregnant last April I just completely shutdown my usual hockey activity. Probably down by 90%. I didn't read ramblings or watch highlights.... I bought the guide but never read the damn thing. Never checked in here on the forums.

Now I'm back. Things are good and I'm ready to start committing to fantasy again. I came on here the other day thinking I would drop a few posts. Problem is I can't do that because I have zero confidence in any advice I'd be giving people.

I can't be the only guy on here that has sat a good chunk of time out on the sideline and came back not having a clue what the hell he was talking about anymore. I guess all I can do is get to reading the guides and ramblings and hope I find my mojo again.

Enjoy the offseason guys. Glad to be back.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Took a year off from Fantasy Hockey

Glad to have you back and congrats on the baby news!!

Give yourself a break, you'll be back in the "loop" in no time. The guide is a great start IMO! Lurk around here until the start of the 2017-18 season and you should be good to go for your draft and then some!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Monster

Welcome back. I did that before but was for like 3 or 4 years (still went in the odd pool) then it took me a couple years to get to know all the prospects and feel confident in knowing my players so I know what it's like.

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome back. My wife wishes I would take a year off, or two, or more from fantasy sports LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

heh , I dont have kid myself but the wife and I babysit our little 2 year old God child (great nephew) for a few days at a time and its exhausting !

Dobber Sports Ace

It's funny because I think it's a point people forget/don't understand. Some of us are 60 with grandkids, some are parents with grown children, some parents with young kids, some 19 y/o kids without a responsibility in the world, and everywhere in between. Some are in one league, others in 10.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Taking a break can sometimes be good. I've taken a bit of a step back over the past couple years and it was kind of be nice/put things into perspective.

Still love it though and can never see myself fully stepping away from fantasy hockey!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

Last yr I over thought my draft, and seemed like every round I was getting frustrated because "my guy" was getting taken. So this yr I plan on doing less and seeing how I do. I did have a really good draft tho...with only like 2 poor picks....hmmmm.... Nevermind I'm over doing it again this yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

When I read the title I was going to come one here and insert a funny remark about how 'it is a year that you will never get back'

But I was wrong, you had a better year because you got some exciting news... having kids brings more enjoyment than any fantasy sport could every bring! Congrats!

I did a similar thing when my wife and I had our son.... I was MIA for several months and it does take a while, but it will come back to you. You will be tearing up the forums with your knowledge again real soon.

Just take some time, read some ramblings, do some studying and you will be posting and inputting your knowledge on us in short time.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good for you for taking the time off for your family. You have your priorities in order.

Dobber Sports Jedi

welcome back... don't 'not post' because you feel out of the loop.. just put a disclaimer on every post that you're out of the loop it'll get you back in the saddle faster
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Slug,

Don't worry about. I haven't taken any real long breaks since I joined and I still don't know what the heck I'm talking about half the time. LOL!!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

No one here knows what they are talking about! hahaha Its all mostly guess work anyway.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Welcome back bud!

I've cut my fantasy sports considerably in the past few years. I used to play 5 or 6 hockey leagues, 2 or 3 baseball leagues and 2 or 3 football leagues every year. With my career progressing, building a house with my better half, and travelling more, I have totally cut baseball out of the lineup, down to 1 football league a year (and may drop that this year) and down to 3 hockey leagues. I have no plans on leaving any of those (esp. not EFHL!) but there is nothing wrong with taking some time off. As much as we don't want to admit it sometimes, there are wayyy more important things in life than fantasy sports.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    No one here knows what they are talking about! hahaha Its all mostly guess work anyway.
    lol i was going to say "IM GUESSING HALF THE TIME ANYWAYS"

ah but anytime my thinking is way off I get corrected any how. it's nice to get the overall opinion around here.