Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NFL Preseaon News and Notes

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: NFL Preseaon News and Notes

Another interesting tidbit (albeit press speculation) regarding the Eagles backfield:

According to Matt Lombardo of NJ Advance Media, "it wouldn't be surprising" if LeGarrette Blount is among the Eagles' cuts.
    Lombardo also wonders if Wendell Smallwood's roster spot is in jeopardy, hypothesizing that Smallwood may need to beat out undrafted rookie Corey Clement to keep his job. Blount has started both preseason games for Philadelphia but has come out flat by rushing for just 17 yards on nine carries. It's an admittedly small sample size, though Blount hasn't shown much in camp and seems to be showing signs of fatigue after logging a career-high 299 carries with New England last season. He's also not a great fit in Doug Pederson's offense, where backs are expected to play an active role in the passing game. Blount may still have some value as a goal-line vulture if the Eagles keep him, but his fantasy arrow is pointing in the wrong direction.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...arrette-blount
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Another interesting tidbit (albeit press speculation) regarding the Eagles backfield:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...arrette-blount
    I hope he winds up back on NE just to eff with all the folks who jumped on the Rex Burkhead bandwagon in June only to abandon it for the Gillislee bandwagon.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I hope he winds up back on NE just to eff with all the folks who jumped on the Rex Burkhead bandwagon in June only to abandon it for the Gillislee bandwagon.
    Burkhead is awesome and free in drafts lol. Gillislee is way too expensive.

Dobber Sports Veteran

OBJ chopped down at the knees in preseason week 2 action. Walked off under own power and jogged to locker room, but shown on his knees in hallway awaiting medical staff. Maybe a slight limp?

In any event, hopefully nothing. But keep yer eyes peeled for updates.

Dobber Sports Veteran

OBJ chopped down at the knees in preseason week 2 action. Walked off under own power and jogged to locker room, but shown on his knees in hallway awaiting medical staff. Maybe a slight limp?

To update, apparently a ankle ailment. Still no word on severity (or lack thereof).

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9403/odell-beckham

Dobber Sports Veteran

Let's talk about Dalvin Cook for a minute.

I know he was super productive at Florida State. I know that he's likely to be the Vikes' starting RB right away. I know that he's got ability as a pass catcher. And I also know that he's been rocketing up draft boards based on the preseason, and many were particularly enamored with what they saw in preseason week 2.

I didn't see the game live, but I found and watched a highlight clip:

http://www.msn.com/de-de/sport/nfl/d...k-2/vp-AAqjKlG

It looks pretty ho-hum to me.

He did a good job of getting what was blocked. But nothing more. Not sure I see him make one guy miss. I do, however, see him trying to make a move or two in the open field but either getting tackled, or basically tripping over himself. And this was a good performance by the Vikes' O-line, unlike preseason week 1 where they basically got manhandled by the Bills' defensive front.

So what's the deal?
    Am I missing something?
    Even if Cook is the starter, isn't it possible (or even likely) that, when healthy, Latavius Murray (a MUCH bigger back) still operates as the short yardage/goal line guy? After all, I think that's generally been a strength of Murray's, no?

Curious as to other people's thoughts.

Cook is good.

Murray sux.

Every RB after the first 2 have usage or line questions.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Let's talk about Dalvin Cook for a minute.

I know he was super productive at Florida State. I know that he's likely to be the Vikes' starting RB right away. I know that he's got ability as a pass catcher. And I also know that he's been rocketing up draft boards based on the preseason, and many were particularly enamored with what they saw in preseason week 2.

I didn't see the game live, but I found and watched a highlight clip:

http://www.msn.com/de-de/sport/nfl/d...k-2/vp-AAqjKlG

It looks pretty ho-hum to me.

He did a good job of getting what was blocked. But nothing more. Not sure I see him make one guy miss. I do, however, see him trying to make a move or two in the open field but either getting tackled, or basically tripping over himself. And this was a good performance by the Vikes' O-line, unlike preseason week 1 where they basically got manhandled by the Bills' defensive front.

So what's the deal?
    Am I missing something?
    Even if Cook is the starter, isn't it possible (or even likely) that, when healthy, Latavius Murray (a MUCH bigger back) still operates as the short yardage/goal line guy? After all, I think that's generally been a strength of Murray's, no?

Curious as to other people's thoughts.

Murray might take some GL work and vulture a handful of TD's but he was just a guy in Oakland behind one of the leagues best Olines last year. He was also on the Vikings roster when they decided to trade up and take Cook in the 2nd round. Even if he does secure the goalie back role, Cook seems to be the unquestioned guy in this backfield and most likely to lead all rookie RB's in total touches this season. He was a popular bust pick after his combine performance so what he does with his opportunity remains to be seen. But from a fantasy standpoint, he's the rookie RB I feel most comfortable taking in redrafts at the price.

Dobber Sports Veteran

To update, apparently a ankle ailment. Still no word on severity (or lack thereof).

Further updating OBJ's ankle injury, nothing definitive but apparently it's not out of the question that he misses a game or two to begin the season.
    Doesn't impact his draft position at all in my view, but just a heads up....

A source told ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan that it's "not out of the question" that Odell Beckham (ankle) "could miss a week or two of the regular season."
    That would seem to be a worst-case scenario. Beckham took a big hit to the leg in Monday's second preseason game. Although he looked fine jogging back to the locker room after the game, OBJ was reportedly "very sore" on Tuesday. (That happens when the adrenaline wears off the next day.) Beckham won't play the final two preseason games. Week 1 against Dallas is the goal. Aug 23 - 8:58 AM

Dobber Sports Deity

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ng-quarterback

The quarterback competition in Berea is over, and DeShone Kizer has been declared the victor.

Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson named Kizer the starting quarterback in a conference call on Sunday.

One day after earning his first preseason start, Kizer has been given the role permanently, starting with Cleveland's Week 1 tilt with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The first-year gunslinger out of Notre Dame established a rapport Saturday night with Cleveland's first-team weapons, namely second-year wideout Corey Coleman. Though Kizer finished 6-of-18 passing for 93 yards with one interception, or what Around The NFL colleague Nick Shook called "one of the more misleading stat lines you'll see this preseason," he impressed the coach who drafted him.

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

What's with all these bad knee injuries? Is it just me or is there more so far this year than other years?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-top-r...175947771.html

The third preseason week hasn’t been kind to some teams, in terms of injuries.

The Chicago Bears might have lost their top receiver on Sunday afternoon. Cameron Meredith, who was a nice surprise last season for the Bears, caught a pass over the middle and was tackled by Tennessee Titans safety Johnathan Cyprien. Linebacker Wesley Woodyard came to finish off the tackle and Meredith’s leg planted and bent in a way you never want it to bend.

After talking to Bears coach John Fox at halftime, sideline reporter Pam Oliver said the team suspects Meredith has a torn ACL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    What's with all these bad knee injuries? Is it just me or is there more so far this year than other years?
    It's about the same as usual.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's about the same as usual.
    By the end of the pre-season yes, but there was just a lot week 3/4 of preseason.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Any one here interested in the NFL Wins pool... its super easy. super quick draft (only 4 rounds) and no maintenance through the year....

[2017] Dobber NFL Wins Pool