Thread: Carlson or pietrangelo

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Question Carlson or pietrangelo

A lot of people have these two ranked fairly closely (myself included) in terms of expected points next season.
    I am curious who you would prefer on your roster long term. Who has the higher ceiling? When does Parayko start to steal the show in St. Louis?

In my pool last year AP ended up with 96.7 as opposed to Carlson 80.3
    I know that these names come up beside each other in several posts in the past but its always with respect to who will get more points next year. I think that both names have the potential to be solid keepers for years to come so I am more curious on who you prefer down the road.

Thanks!
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Carlson or pietrangelo

I'll go with Carlson here by a hair.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Carlson should regain #1 PP duties and rebound but has injury problems... AP should continue where he left off last season (18 points in 20 GP) as the #1 PP QB for the foreseeable future and perhaps even end up with a Norris candidate type year.

I like both to pace for ~50-55 points this season. Matter of preference and risk management really...

I prefer AP personally... but both have the ability to explode for 60+ if the stars align for them.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Immortal

Carlson to rebound here.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd want Pietrangelo.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's close, but I'd take Carlson by a hair.

The Great One

I honestly think Pietrangelo will outpoint Carlson by 10-15+ points. Yeo LOVES to lean on his #1 rearguard and Pietrangelo produced huge numbers (18 points in 20 games) after the coaching change. Meanwhile, Carlson has one season with more than 40 points (yes - I realize he had a great part of another season, but still, 40 points is 40 points). If Carlson was going to be an elite fantasy guy, he's already have been one by now. And with Washington's offense in danger of losing a step, that won't help him get better.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the feedback. From this and the other threads I have read there seems to be two opinions: "Carlson by a hair" or "My gut says Carlson" and "AP will continue to thrive under Yeo."
    I was definitely in the Carlson camp, but that late season push by AP under Yeo has certainly made it a much tougher decision.
    I think at this point I am leaning towards AP simply because I dont think Carlson has it in him to compete with AP if he picks up where he left off last season, while I think their floors are comparable.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by COLT.45 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. From this and the other threads I have read there seems to be two opinions: "Carlson by a hair" or "My gut says Carlson" and "AP will continue to thrive under Yeo."
    I was definitely in the Carlson camp, but that late season push by AP under Yeo has certainly made it a much tougher decision.
    I think at this point I am leaning towards AP simply because I dont think Carlson has it in him to compete with AP if he picks up where he left off last season, while I think their floors are comparable.
    At worst Pietrangelo will produce along the lines of what Suter did in Minnesota, which is better than Carlson has done in all but one season. Plus, St. Louis' offense should be a lot better than what Minnesota brought to the table in the Yeo era, so that will be a rising tide that lifts all boats, including - and especially - Pietrangelo. I really do think the ingredients are there for Pietrangelo to score 55+ points. Let's also not forget that he's already a two-time former 50+ point guy, as opposed to someone we think could finally see things line up to break the 50 point threshold for the first time.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Carlson... Washington PP will score a lot again, and he will be back on the #1 unit.

I feel Parayko will steal the #1 PP unit duties this year or St.Louis will play two D-men on it. AP and Parayko.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Carlson... Washington PP will score a lot again, and he will be back on the #1 unit.

I feel Parayko will steal the #1 PP unit duties this year or St.Louis will play two D-men on it. AP and Parayko.
    this is my thinking as well. I favor Carlson over Pietrangelo but not by much.

Dobber Sports Genius

Carlson.....very close
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

The Great One

I'm honestly astonished by these replies. Do all of you realize Carlson averaged more PP Time per game last season than Pietrangelo on a team that scored 28 more goals, and yet in his last 20 games of the season Pietrangelo - under a coach who'll be at the helm for the entire 2017-18 season - nearly scored half as many points as Carlson did in 72 contests for a team that, on paper, got worse rather than better in the offseason? And Parayko actually was worse under Yeo than under Hitch, and saw both his overall and PP production go down.

Dobber Sports Pro

Carlson gets my vote, back to being the #1 guy on one of the most potent PP in the league.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Superstar

as much as I love Carlson the choice is AP because of the consistency and lack of injury concern. John is phenomenal but there is no looking past the last couple seasons injuries when AP is consistently giving owners full seasons w/ production.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov