Thread: RP Strategy

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default RP Strategy

Im in a league with SV and HLD as separate categories and wondering what you guys think about this strategy....

There are 4 spots for RP (2 RP and 2 P), and right now I own Wade Davis/Ziegler for Saves and Baez/Neshek for Holds.

Since I know I couldn't trade setup guys for closers, would anyone consider trading Davis for an elite setup guy and then an upgrade at another position? Then drop Ziegler and focus solely on Holds. I know they're less predictable but at this point I would have to get lucky to win Saves most weeks.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: RP Strategy

Biggest thing is knowing how many teams in the league to get a sense of if you could be decently well off with just two closers. It's not a bad strategy, but at best with this you're going 1-1 in the reliever categories. If your team is good enough that the auto win in saves puts you over the top, go for it.

As another option, I have one league where we have 5RP spots, and also count saves/holds as seperate categories. The rosters are pretty big, but I have at any one time, at least 3 saves guys, and at least 3 holds guys. That way by Wednesday or Thursday (or even before by looking at the team) I can pick which one I need more of any given week, and then I end up going 2-0 more often than 0-2. Having Devinski in a SP slot most days of the week also helps.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What are you currently doing on a week to week basis in those two categories...

if you are going 2-0 with the players you have keep it up... but since you are asking I assume this is not the case.

So if you are going 1-1 most weeks and losing the saves category on a regular basis... then I think this is great strategy. Guarantee yourself a win in holds... punt the saves and then get an upgrade at some other position.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Biggest thing is knowing how many teams in the league to get a sense of if you could be decently well off with just two closers. It's not a bad strategy, but at best with this you're going 1-1 in the reliever categories. If your team is good enough that the auto win in saves puts you over the top, go for it.

As another option, I have one league where we have 5RP spots, and also count saves/holds as seperate categories. The rosters are pretty big, but I have at any one time, at least 3 saves guys, and at least 3 holds guys. That way by Wednesday or Thursday (or even before by looking at the team) I can pick which one I need more of any given week, and then I end up going 2-0 more often than 0-2. Having Devinski in a SP slot most days of the week also helps.
    12 team league and pretty much every closer is owned. Some of committee guys aren't owned but they seem to go weeks without producing anything. I do like the RP in SP slot strategy...but any of the good ones are owned.

Some of the other closer combos are....

1st place: Miller, Greene, Madson, Rondon .....lol didn't realize he didn't have a closer. Maybe I offer Davis for Miller

2nd place: Chapman, Osuna, Holland....Phelps, Shaw

3rd place: Jansen, Kimbrel, Rivero....Nicasio, Devenski ....just elite stuff here

4th place: Britton, Norris.....Betances, Kintzler, Reed

5th place: Me. Davis, Ziegler....Baez, Neshek

6th place: Ramos, Igelsias.....Bradley, Oh, Casilla, Edwards Jr

7th place: Giles, Allen, Hand....Cecil

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

So there are more teams that have 3 closers then there are teams that have 4 set up guys... I would go with your suggested strategy and try winning the saves. And hopefully if you play the first place team in finals... one of your guys gets a vulture save and wins you that category.

Dobber Sports Titan

I guess the other factor is what kind of batting upgrade could you get for a closer? If it's something decent then yeah, just punt the category.

Just be open to whatever trade opportunities arise though, you can probably make things work either way.

Alse that guy is probably in first because he doesn't have a closer AND wants to keep it that way. So you're probably not getting a bite from him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)