Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steve Bartman gets World Series ring

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Steve Bartman gets World Series ring

I don't understand why he accepted the ring.

From what I have read, the team has reached out to him on numerous occasions, offering him various things such as tickets back to the games along with other things to try and "clear the air" so to say from the whole fiasco. He declined them all until this point.

Personally I think the whole thing is just silly. From the Cubs fans vilifying him for the foul ball incident, to him getting a WS ring.

He was just a fan at the game doing something every other fan tries to do at a game. He wanted to catch a souvenir ball and it affected Alou from getting an out. Big deal. The fact that he had to go into hiding to protect himself and his family for 13 years is just plain stupid and the fact that he is getting WS ring because of this is just as silly in my eyes.

That's just me I guess. I don't see why he is willing to take this gesture from the Cubs now after numerous attempts from the Cubs organization to offer closure on an ugly incident.

Whatever.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Isn’t he not even living in Chicago and has a fair amount of money and all the attempts are like, “come to the game and we’ll pay for everything. Come be in the parade. Come to Chicago!”. He may just hate Chicago now, and doesn’t care for baseball?

But the more truthful part is he prolly realizes this is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity literally no fan has ever experienced. Ya fans go to games, throw the first pitch, even a couple have been in a championship parade. But what fan gets a ring? It’s not greedy to me, but it’s not noble….If I had won a WS, I’d be unappreciative of this move by the Cubs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm good with this (ending).
    Guy made a mistake once upon a time... and got way more grief for it than anybody should.
    The world is full of ashholes and sometimes an organization tries to make amends for all of those ashholes that may be part of it.
    I think it was the right time for all three parties (Bartman, Cubs Fans, Cubs Organization) to put this story away.
    There is no amount of apologizing that the general fan base can do to make amends.
    But, perhaps the ring is basically the gesture that allows Bartman to say "Enough, fine, even - let it be considered done."
    Moving.On.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I watched a documentary on him a year or so ago and thought he was even offered money to attend a play-off game and he declined. Doubt he ever goes back to wringley
    I watched it too and noticed there were others trying to catch that ball that day , not just bartman .

lucky they missed.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I watched it too and noticed there were others trying to catch that ball that day , not just bartman .

lucky they missed.
    A cool thought seems to be if you're going to go to a game, maybe understand you're not playing in the game and stay out of the field of play.

The Magnificent One

Something else to consider is I'm sure a lot of players last season drew added inspiration from knowing that if they won they'd not only bring glory to themselves, their team, and the city, but also on top of that would wipe the slate clean for Bartman. So in a way you could say he contributed to the win, if not directly than indirectly.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post

lucky they missed.
    These Cubs fans probably were not part of the ones that hated Bartman... they rather are the few that loved him because if it was not for him, then it might have been their life that was turned upside down for the next 13 + years. They are glad he was the one that got the ball instead of them.