Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's Your Favorite NHL Trivia?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: What's Your Favorite NHL Trivia?

I have several "trick" questions I like ask hockey hardcores, sometimes asking them all in a row if I want to mess with them. All answers in white next to question:

1. Who has more Stanley Cup Rings Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky? ..As of this year Lemieux, he has 5, 2 as a player, 3 as owner of the Penguins...
    2. What does the "A" stand for on the front of a jersey? ..It's "alternate captain" many people quickly and confidently say "assistant" [buzzer sound] WRONG!..
    3. What does the "H" on the Montreal Canadiens jersey stand for? ..According to the club's website it is "Hockey" as in "Club de hockey Canadien" it is NOT "Habs" are often assumed..

Also 2 questions that aren't trick questions but I still really like.
    1. Who is the only NHL player to captain 2 different franchises to the Stanley Cup.. Mark Messier. An easier one but still fun...
    2. Who has the record for most NHL games as a captain?.. Steve Yzerman the definitive leader of his era..
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just guessing, but was it Washington in the early 90s. Iafrate, Cote and Hatcher? I still remember a hockey card that had that feat on it.
    Boom! Good job ... most people assume it would be Edmonton from the 80s or Boston in the 70s (Orr ++) or 80s (Boutique ++)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I have several "trick" questions I like ask hockey hardcores, sometimes asking them all in a row if I want to mess with them. All answers in white next to question:

1. Who has more Stanley Cup Rings Lemieux or Gretzky? As of this year Lemieux, he has 5, 2 as a player, 3 as owner of the Penguins.
    2. What does the "A" stand for on the front of a jersey? It's "alternate captain" many people quickly and confidently say "assistant" [buzzer sound] WRONG!
    3. What does the "H" on the Montreal Canadiens jersey stand for? According to the club's website it is "Hockey" as in "Club de hockey Canadien" it is NOT "Habs" are often assumed

1. Who is the only NHL player to captain 2 different franchises to the Stanley Cup Mark Messier. An easier one but still fun.
    2. Who has the record for most NHL games as a captain? Steve Yzerman the definitive leader of his era
    Lemieux, Alternative, Habitants?

Messier, Doan?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Lemieux, Alternative, Habitants?

Messier, Doan?
    3/5 passing grade.
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

3/5 passing grade.
    Damn, i Know 1/2 i got wrong. And it was interesting googling the actual answer!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

1. Who has more Stanley Cup Rings Lemieux or Gretzky? ..As of this year Lemieux, he has 5, 2 as a player, 3 as owner of the Penguins...
    2. What does the "A" stand for on the front of a jersey? ..It's "alternate captain" many people quickly and confidently say "assistant" [buzzer sound] WRONG!..
    3. What does the "H" on the Montreal Canadiens jersey stand for? ..According to the club's website it is "Hockey" as in "Club de hockey Canadien" it is NOT "Habs" are often assumed..

1. Who is the only NHL player to captain 2 different franchises to the Stanley Cup.. Mark Messier. An easier one but still fun...
    2. Who has the record for most NHL games as a captain?.. Steve Yzerman the definitive leader of his era..
    Good one with the Lemieux trivia! I thought I had it for awhile.... You didn't state which Lemieux and I thought the answer was - tied at 4 each.

I've been a fan of Mario Lemieux since I was a kid and am not a french-speaking individual - my trick to spelling his name has always been to pronounce it while I was spelling it, so every time I spell Lemieux, in my head I'm saying "Lemie - ux."
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    Good one with the Lemieux trivia! I thought I had it for awhile.... You didn't state which Lemieux and I thought the answer was - tied at 4 each.

I've been a fan of Mario Lemieux since I was a kid and am not a french-speaking individual - my trick to spelling his name has always been to pronounce it while I was spelling it, so every time I see the name Lemieux, in my head I'm saying "Lemie - ux."
    Ha, fair point. I updated the original question for clarity. rep!
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

Some great nuggets here! For the older and younger generations alike!

Rep too all of you. Fun stuff.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Ace

I always liked this one...

Jaromir is an anagram for Mario Jr.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Titan

Sticking with Jagr, he is currently second all time in shots on goal, 601 behind the all time leader (I just looked this up, but I knew who the leader was before this).

If you can tell me who the leader is WITHOUT CHEATING, then you certainly deserve a big pat on the back (and some REP). It's not exactly who you think it would be.

If you don't want to look it up, I can post the answer later.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sticking with Jagr, he is currently second all time in shots on goal, 601 behind the all time leader (I just looked this up, but I knew who the leader was before this).

If you can tell me who the leader is WITHOUT CHEATING, then you certainly deserve a big pat on the back (and some REP). It's not exactly who you think it would be.

I looked it up. I was way off. I would have guessed Bobby Hull, but they didn't count shots for his first 10 years in the league. When they did start keeping shots, he took 364 and 414 his first two years. He took 556 shots one year in the WHA.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I looked it up. I was way off. I would have guessed Bobby Hull, but they didn't count shots for his first 10 years in the league. When they did start keeping shots, he took 364 and 414 his first two years. He took 556 shots one year in the WHA.
    Yeah, it is probably a little skewed based on when they started tracking, but still a fun list to look at!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post

Without looking it up I'm going to say Guy Lafleur
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

How about: Who was the first non-Canadian born Conn Smythe winner?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch