Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Re-signed] Ryan Johansen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [Re-signed] Ryan Johansen

It's a little above market right now, but I think in a few years it will be a bargain

Dobber Sports Veteran

IMO major overpayment. But I'm sure they knew they were handcuffed, cause if they tried the 6.5 he is worth he would have held out until a trade happened. He's all about the money. How did he become my most disliked player ever not sure. My opinion really isn't valid here as I do have such a dislike.

Dobber Sports Wizard

That Scheifele contract looks damn nice right now.

Kuznetsov and Johansen have now set the market rate for top offensive centers. The market rate used to be around $6M but now it appears to be around $8M. Draisaitl will be around this number as well. Eichel and Matthews will be closer to McDavid's number, though.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think most will be surprised if Draisaitls cap hit and term aren't similar to RyJo's deal as well. That's pretty much been the train of thought heading into the summer anyway, even if RyJo hadn't got this contract.

I do agree that Eichel and Matthews will be closer to McDavid's but probably not quite as much, not unless both start to do something special as early as next season for Eichel, and the year after for Matthews. They will probably be closer to Toews/PKane money but that's still a lot for cap leagues.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Pretty good deal for a first line C.

This deal will be a steal in 4-5 years.
    RyJo is currently paid as the 8th best C in the league. This deal might turn out "fine", but it will not ever be a "steal". It's max outcome is fair market value.

Like shit, I'm not sure how hard we have to stretch and reach to consider an 8x8 contract to consider it a steal for a 65 point forward.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think most will be surprised if Draisaitls cap hit and term aren't similar to RyJo's deal as well. That's pretty much been the train of thought heading into the summer anyway, even if RyJo hadn't got this contract.

I do agree that Eichel and Matthews will be closer to McDavid's but probably not quite as much, not unless both start to do something special as early as next season for Eichel, and the year after for Matthews. They will probably be closer to Toews/PKane money but that's still a lot for cap leagues.
    Yeah, I didn't mean Eichel and Matthews would get $13M. $10M or so sounds more realistic for them, I agree.

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/stat...48534086176773

Johansen's new deal with the #Preds is a flat 8x$8M across the board. It does not include any Signing Bonuses, nor include any Trade Clauses
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Like shit, I'm not sure how hard we have to stretch and reach to consider an 8x8 contract to consider it a steal for a 65 point forward.
    Just my opinion. I just think that in 4-5 years he will not be the 8 best paid C in the league anymore because others will surpass him and the salary cap will be higher.
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Pro

The point is, 8x8 contracts should go to high-end, two way centres who consistently demonstrate effort, leadership, and the ability to carry their team. RyJo does not do that. I agree though that Nashville was in a spot in that he would have held out if he was offered what he is worth 6.5-7. It's just the kind of individual he is.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    The point is, 8x8 contracts should go to high-end, two way centres who consistently demonstrate effort, leadership, and the ability to carry their team. RyJo does not do that. I agree though that Nashville was in a spot in that he would have held out if he was offered what he is worth 6.5-7. It's just the kind of individual he is.
    Exactly. But they also knew what kind of individual he was when they traded for him. It's extremely hard to trade for an established, young 1C in this league. Nashville knew they'd have to overpay him to sign. Luckily, they've managed their cap very well and could afford to do so.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Exactly. But they also knew what kind of individual he was when they traded for him. It's extremely hard to trade for an established, young 1C in this league. Nashville knew they'd have to overpay him to sign. Luckily, they've managed their cap very well and could afford to do so.
    Completely agree. Poile knew exactly what he was getting and how to manage the player within their system and cap structure.

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Just my opinion. I just think that in 4-5 years he will not be the 8 best paid C in the league anymore because others will surpass him and the salary cap will be higher.
    Sure, but that still doesn't make the deal a steal. If people pass him to make him the 15-20 highest paid center, that still maxes out at "fair value". This is never going to be a steal lol.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sure, but that still doesn't make the deal a steal. If people pass him to make him the 15-20 highest paid center, that still maxes out at "fair value". This is never going to be a steal lol.
    I agree - the best case is that this is fair value. It won't be a steal but I think it will be fair.

With that said, I think Johansen is a more complete player at this point than some of the $6.5M comparisons. In real life, Johansen plays a higher-impact game than Monahan, Scheifele, Kuznetsov.

So while I think it's not a great deal, Johansen's contract isn't too far off.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras