Thread: Who will be a good starter in 2 years from now

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who will be a good starter in 2 years from now

I'm looking to get some names of young goalies that got good probabilities to be the starter of a good team in 2 yars from now. Fo an example, doyou tink Saros will bete startr in 2 years? Raanta?
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Who will be a good starter in 2 years from now

I like Thatcher Demko in VAN. They are in rebuild but will be solid in 3-4 years.
    I think Carter Hart or Alex Lyon will emerge for PHI... though I don't know which one.
    Both Jon Gillies and David Rittich appear to be the future hopes for CGY.

I like Saros, but I think Rinne has many good years still in him.
    The goalie situations in VAN, PHI, CGY are more ripe for a rising goalie to emerge, IMO.

Dobber Sports Monster

2 years isn't that long from now so most likely it'll be someone who plays in the NHL this year.

What about Calvin Pickard in LV. Are Vegas going to re-sign Fleury in a couple years or do they want to transition to a younger guy? Or do LV re-sign MAF and trade Pickard somewhere willing to take a chance? If you saw how well Picks played for Canada this summer you can see some starter potential there.

Saros, Hellebuyck are on that fringe too. Grubauer is another name that could pry free and land somewhere where he gets more starts. But where is anyones guess. There's still some hope for Mrazek; he may end up somewhere else if he doesnt grow in Detroit.

Gillies and Demko are coming soon, but they may have to wait 3 or 4 years to really get a clear shot at being the starter.

Other than that not a lot of open opportunity. AZ is a bit of a gongshow and if Raanta doesn't prove himself this year then that spot could open up.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What about Scott Darling in 2 years.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by 35KrazyKanuck View Post
    What about Scott Darling in 2 years.
    with Cam Ward coming off the books after this year most likely, Darling could be a great starter. He already has a good defense in front of him.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    2 years isn't that long from now so most likely it'll be someone who plays in the NHL this year.

What about Calvin Pickard in LV. Are Vegas going to re-sign Fleury in a couple years or do they want to transition to a younger guy? Or do LV re-sign MAF and trade Pickard somewhere willing to take a chance? If you saw how well Picks played for Canada this summer you can see some starter potential there.

Saros, Hellebuyck are on that fringe too. Grubauer is another name that could pry free and land somewhere where he gets more starts. But where is anyones guess. There's still some hope for Mrazek; he may end up somewhere else if he doesnt grow in Detroit.

Gillies and Demko are coming soon, but they may have to wait 3 or 4 years to really get a clear shot at being the starter.

Other than that not a lot of open opportunity. AZ is a bit of a gongshow and if Raanta doesn't prove himself this year then that spot could open up.
    First guy I thought of was Pickard. A few years under Fleury as the apprentice, and then he takes over.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Gotta agree with that ^^^

My bets would be (Remember goalies are voodoo and could be awful):
    Hellybuck (Likely just after 2 years of splitting with Mason)
    Saros after Rinne leaves, or as soon as next season
    Grubauer in Washington, as he should be traded soon
    I saw Pickard mentioned with good reasoning
    Husso in STL if Allen falters

A couple that may do it or may flame out (risk/reward)
    Lack in Calgary - New system, a coach who likes him, and a goalie coach that won't mess with his style (he plays deep like Smith). As long as his concussion issues are over, and Smith continues to play ~25 games a year
    Forsberg in Chicago - Acquired in the Panarin trade and Crawford is getting older. If he can translate his AHL success to the NHL (finally) then that could be big!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Veteran

This isn't about a young goalie but he's only played 4 NHL games so he'll qualify as a prospect in many leagues.

Anyway, I just joined my first dynasty league and took over a team with 3 goalies over 30 and zero prospects. I'm trying to hit the ground running and get a handle on who may get a chance to shine one of these days. I still need to do a lot more research but one guy that gives me a little fantasy-hockey chubby is Mikko Koskinen. I don't see him mentioned often around here and there may be a good reason for that.

He was drafted 31st overall in 2009 by the Islanders and could've done better during his 4 NHL games and season at Bridgeport. He had a hip injury the year before that, I'm not sure if it was still ailing him. He's currently playing with
    SKA St. Petersburg in the K alongside Igor Shestyorkin.
    As far as I understand: the Islanders lost their claim to his rights last summer and his KHL contract expires in 2018, SKA St. Petersburg will likely hand the reins to Igor Shestyorkin. He's poised represent Finland at next year's Olympics and a good tournament will remind NHL GMs he exist. I'm not sure if he or Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is the current front-runner for the starter posistion.

Take anything I just said with a grain of salt, it could all be wrong. I'd appreciate it if a knowledgeable soul could correct anything I'm wrong about or if they know something I'm missing. For all I know Koskinen could've already ruled out a return to the NHL. Maybe some gold around that neck will persuade a GM to throw some money at him and convince him to come back.

The Magnificent One

Grubauer is the one I'd target
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Scott Darling gets my vote here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Crawford is 32 years old. Not ancient by any means for a goalie. He's been a team first type of player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In my dynasty league I'm putting my bets on Darling and Hellebuyck for now.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Darling is signed for the future, Carolina will play him and they are a young team right now.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

Goalies are often very hard to predict but I would go with Thatcher Demko as being most likely a good starter. So far he has the college pedigree and just finished his first year in the pros and thought he didn't do too bad considering the comets aren't the strongest team in the AHL.

Saros should have a good chance at being a good starter in the NHL in a couple years with Rinne getting to the later stages of his career (34 years old).

Comes down to who will get the best opportunity at times, just like any player who makes the NHL, they may not be the most talented in the world but they got the opportunity to show what they got.