Thread: Hypothetical Trade Question (Dynasty League)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Hypothetical Trade Question (Dynasty League)

I'm in the midst of a retool, so I've been taking a general look around the league at things that may be of interest.

Clearly, acquiring a young star like Matthews or Laine would fit the bill (there's no point in even hypothesizing about McDavid or Eichel -- there's no prying them away from their current owners). But the more I consider it, the more I realize that I still don't have my head around how to think about or possibly approach such a deal.

So let me re-frame the classic trade question a little:

For the league in my sig block, who (if anyone) on my current roster would you not be willing to move for either Matthews or Laine?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Hypothetical Trade Question (Dynasty League)

There is no one on your team that I would not be willing to move for either of those young guys.

There are some players that I would hope to add a small upgrade along with those young players rather than dealing straight across.

Those players (that i would want a small upgrade with) are:

Ovy
    Backstrom

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with this ^^^ advise.

Giroux is still a big name in many circles, but has been trending downward recently. Not sure he nets a Matthews or Laine at this stage, but perhaps would be a solid start to getting you there.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd trade your whole team for Matthews and Laine if that helps lol I know that's not the question but you get the gist of it
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Ace

I would trade anyone on your team for Laine or Matthews.

Ovechkin and Backstrom should not require any additional assets.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks folks! Rep given.

Any other opinions? It intrigues me, for example, that sentiment appears to be to trade Klingberg for Laine (or even Matthews given positional requirements) straight up. Maybe my instinct is to overvalue top-notch offensive DMen?

Dobber Sports Pro

Klingberg is the only one on your team that I'd try to stay away from trading, though if that's what the other team pushed for him I'd still do it. Basically I'd try to trade anyone with name value on your team who is 30 or older, like the guys the others have mentioned. Top of my attempts would be Ovi for sure.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

The Great One

I love your name btw!!

Yea id try to sell high on Giroux before its too late. OV belongs on a contender (sorry but not seeing your team as one :P ) Dont undersell him but Id really push for a true blue veteran for futures trade. Get prospects and multipple firsts if you can. He still has value on a competetive team(read: multicat DOMINANT) but doesnt have much use on your roster. Backstrom should be gone too in the same type of deal. Adding just one more cat (P) would give him a lot more value- but hes still valuable enough and his name should haul a worthwhile return. Do NOT move either cap for the sake of moving them- you desserve a solid return for both. If theres no interest pre-season Id reccomend waiting til the trade deadline. Once playoff lines are being drawn in the sand people will be tripping over themselves foir these two. Id try to lean AWAY from moving Theo, Prove and as has been stated Klinger. Im also partial to Hall and hes young enough that he should still fit. Nash/Sedin and Jagr are all about to fall off a cliff- get ANY value before its too late. Normally Id advocate moving Rackell but you need someone on your roster- lol! Hes due for some type of shoert term regression- sell high if you can- but as Ive said you have WAY bigger fish to fry than Rackell at this point.

So yea- Id TRY to retain Hall, Kling and especially Theodore and Provorov- but Id move anyone else on your team for those two. Id also target any foundational pl;ayers out there. make pitches for Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Gaudreau, Keller, Kane, Drai, Stammer, Kooch, tarasenko, - even tier two up and comers- Ehlers, Skinner, Forsberg, Nylander, Barkov, Huberdeau, Marner, etc. Consolidate your vets into as much talent like that as you can, add picks to build around them- and settle in for a re-build. Re-builds are easier than you think. This year if you were re-building you may have been able to get a potential franchise cornerstone (like I did :P ) in Keller. Free topline assets in Shipachyov and Dadanov. A late season callup type in Boeser and to a lesser ectent Guentzel. Daft surprioses like Tkachuk/Chychrun and a plethora of goalies- Darling/Raanta/Mason/Smith and more. Im hesitant to ever call on a full on re-bulid but your team needs it - imho - and nows one of the better times in history to make a decision like that as a poolie (wow that sounded epic!!)

But freal tho- trade off those vets and start sniping value wherever you see it popping up....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, I agree that my team is not a contender at this point and started moving out veteran pieces last season. Added guys like Hall, Rakell, Bjorkstrand, Sergachev and Theodore at the deadline knowing that the squad as it was didn't have the goods to bring home the title (knocked out in the semifinal round).

Some more pruning to be done for sure. 14 team league with a good amount of parity, so I think I'll actually be able to get it turned around fairly quickly. Thanks again for the input!