Thread: Tell me about El Nino...

The Great One

Default Tell me about El Nino...

Really had written him off after a few years of medicocity but in retrospect his statline increased in a pretty healthy manner and he does not look too shabby at all lately! Just curious because Ive basically offered Parise and a 20th overall this year for Nino and a 3rd rounder in 2019. I know Ill lose the deal short term but if Nino can producen a reasonable facsimile of what Parise would over the next 1-2 years than id call it a win. Im saying that full well knowing hes getting a raise out of arbitration this year. My thoughts are if he can be close for the next couple years at between 1 and 2 million less- thats fine. Getting an asset back in 19 is fine as far as Im concerned- in my humble estimation I should be competetive the whole way through- lol!!!

Thoughts???

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Tell me about El Nino...

I think that Niederreiter is pretty close to Parise. He's still pretty young. He'll turn 25 soon, so he's in his prime. My bet is that he will continue to improve this year and crack 60 points. He only got a bit over 15 mins per game last year. If he gets more minutes, he could go to the high 60s. I dont think he is a 70 point player, but its not inconceivable to get low 70s if all things go his way this year.

I'm not even convinced that Parise will be the better player next year. Parise misses a lot of games.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Wild have a really solid top-9 which is a good thing for their team success but bad for fantasy hockey numbers because they all eat each other's opportunities, just like they do on the Rangers.

Koivu, Parise, Granlund, Staal, Coyle, Zucker, Ennis, Niederreiter, Eriksson Ek... That's their top-9 IMO, although Marcus Foligno could get some time there as well. For that reason, I wouldn't really expect more than the 57 points Niederreiter got last season. 55 point range seems like a good fit with him.

I believe Niederreiter is only 1 year from reaching UFA status because he has already played 6 seasons, so if the Wild are going to sign him long-term, it's mostly UFA years which are more expensive. Tomas Tatar seems like a good comparable here, so let's say $5.5M.

Is it worth it to give away 20th overall pick to save about $2M in cap space and get a bit younger? That's tough to say, maybe it is. Parise may produce at 65 point pace but will miss some time most likely, so there's no huge difference between their production (assuming you can't replace him with another 65 point player while he's on IR).

From the perspective of the other GM, I doubt this is enough. He looks at Niederreiter who is a former 5th overall pick entering his prime, and then he looks at Parise who is ancient in fantasy hockey universe, and the 20th overall pick probably isn't enough for him. But if you're happy with the offer, then nothing wrong with sending it.

The Great One

J-P's analysis is superb
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

I'd try to get him without having to add 2oth ov if the other gm bites.

Dobber Sports Expert

A bit more information regarding Nino's contract talks as arbitration approaches next week.

---------------
    https://www.nhl.com/news/minnesota-confident-mikael-grandlund-nino-niederreiter-will-sign/c-290511270

The Nashville Predators avoided arbitration with forward Viktor Arvidsson, who signed a seven-year, $29.75 million contract on July 22 (average annual value of $4.25 million). Fletcher said he would like to sign Niederreiter and Granlund to comparable contracts, if possible.
    "I would expect these would be similar," Fletcher said. "Hopefully we can find a solution on a long-term basis, and if not, we always have the hearing to fall back on and we can revisit it in a year or so."
    Foligno, Niederreiter and Granlund can each sign a contract with the Wild for up to eight years, but Fletcher hasn't offered more than five, according to the Star Tribune, which reported Niederreiter and Granlund each is seeking a long-term contract worth more than $6 million per season."We're open to any angle," Fletcher said. "I guess anything's possible, but somewhere in that 3-5-year range would probably work well for everybody. That's not to preclude a longer deal, but that's not where the focus has been on our end."