Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympic roster question

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Olympic roster question

For those who haven't seen it, here are the rosters for Canada in exhibition tournaments leading up to the Olympics.

Roster 1:

Forwards: Justin Azevedo, Gilbert Brule, Brandon Buck, Kevin Clark, Andrew Ebbett, Bud Holloway, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun, Ben Maxwell, Brandon McMillan, Eric O?Dell, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey

Defence: Chay Genoway, Geoff Kinrade, Patrick McNeill, Maxim Noreau, Mat Robinson, Jonathan Sigalet, Karl Stollery

Goaltenders: Justin Peters, Kevin Poulin

Roster 2:

Forwards: Taylor Beck, Sean Collins, Cory Emmerton, Ryan Garbutt, Andrew Gordon, David McIntyre, Jacob Micflikier, Trevor Parkes, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Greg Scott, Paul Szczechura, James Wright

Defence: Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Shawn Lalonde, Craig Schira

Goaltenders: Ben Scrivens, Kevin Poulin*

* named to both rosters

This doesn't mean this is the Olympic roster, but it does beg a question. Could NHL teams approve AHL and junior players to play in the Olympics? Ie- Could Cale Makar or Pierre Luc-Dubois be allowed to play if they don't mean their respective teams? Or are they not allowed because they are under NHL contract?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Olympic roster question

Only players on AHL contracts will be permitted to participate in the Olympics. Anyone playing in the in the A with an NHL contract isn't allowed at this time.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...ght-candidates

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for that. I wonder if it applies for kids in juniors, college or playing overseas that have an NHL contract.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

I can't wait to see that group of studs playing at the Olympics.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Thanks for that. I wonder if it applies for kids in juniors, college or playing overseas that have an NHL contract.
    I believe anyone with an NHL contract, regardless of what league they are playing in, cannot participate in the Olympics.

Dobber Sports Genius

I still can't believe that the NHL owners don't see the HUGE benefit to themselves to showcase their players on this world stage. ?\_(ツ)_/?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I still can't believe that the NHL owners don't see the HUGE benefit to themselves to showcase their players on this world stage. ?\_(ツ)_/?
    I dont think the owners see any benefit to it at all. The league shuts down for a few weeks, costing them money, and then there's the risk that one of the leagues best players could very well get injured (Tavares) during this tournament. Studies have already proven that the NHL skaters playing in the Olympics have done nothing to promote the NHL in itself, let alone help the owners make any more money which is truly what they are in the business of doing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I mean. The league shutting down doesn't cost them money, it just doesn't make them any money. They aren't paying any of the costs.

Both the NHL and the IOC care more about winning than they do about doing what's best for the growth of the game.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean. The league shutting down doesn't cost them money, it just doesn't make them any money. They aren't paying any of the costs.

Both the NHL and the IOC care more about winning than they do about doing what's best for the growth of the game.
    And by winning, you mean making the most money they possibly can without thinking big picture/long term. I loathe the NHL and hate the IOC.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    And by winning, you mean making the most money they possibly can without thinking big picture/long term. I loathe the NHL and hate the IOC.
    Kind've. I more mean demanding the other bend to their will absolutely, as opposed to working together and compromising. But yea. Both very much embody "I'd rather $10 now and $10 later than $5 now and $25 later"

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Exactly my point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly my point.
    Well. I mean it was part of your point. The other part of your point was that it costs them money, which is the point I was responding to.

As for the making them money part....it doesn't put money in their pockets over the 2 week term of the Olympics. There's an unquantifiable market growth factor that puts money in their pockets over the long term, but because by nature it is unquantifiable, it's ignored.

Of course when they go to games in China because they want access to the China market, it's the same unquantifiable growth factor, but it's a market they've targeted so they assume the benefit is there.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Those possible rosters do not make me excited for Olympic hockey

Dobber Sports Genius

If the IOC actually opened up their pockets and paid the league handily, then I think more owners would favour participation. I still think the exposure it generates is important to the game and the NHL brand.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    If the IOC actually opened up their pockets and paid the league handily, then I think more owners would favour participation. I still think the exposure it generates is important to the game and the NHL brand.
    I think if they let the NHL put their logo on the games and let them use their content the owners would be open to going. If they added in revenue kickbacks, it wouldn't even be a debate.