View Poll Results: Which deal (or lack therof)?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gillies/12th overall for Korpi/23rd overall and a bunch of "dartboard" picks

2 33.33%
  • Nino/M Johansen/9th overall for Korpisaalo, Parise, 20th overall, 23rd overall and a 1st in 18

2 33.33%
  • Stand pat with korpi and the depth picks

2 33.33%

Thread: Help settle a... cicvilized discussion REP!!!

The Great One

Default Help settle a... cicvilized discussion REP!!!

I had posted an add saying Im looking to move later (dartboard) picks which Im not at all confident in choosing from- along with Korpisaalo who is reasonably intriguing in our format with my 23rd overall to move up in the draft. I also stated i wouldnt mind a deal that had Parise outgoing.

Would you:

A) Move Parise, Korpisaalo, the 20th, and 23rd this year plus a 1st rounder next year (could be anywhere from early to late)
    for
    Nino Niederreiter, Marcus Johansen and the 9th

B) Move Korpisaalo, the 23rd overall this year, 6th and 7th rounders this year, 6th next year and a 5th in 19
    for
    Gillies and the 12th overall (own smith and lack so would be trying to corner the market)

C) Stand pat- keep the depth picks (which id have no idea what to do with) and keep korpisaalo who i obviously like but am not married too.

Ive got a lot to say about this but will abstain until i get some commentary back :P

Cheers- REP!!!

The Great One

Default Re: Help settle a... cicvilized discussion REP!!!

You could always do some research on those later picks lol

in all seriousness that seems like a lot to give away in either scenario
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    You could always do some research on those later picks lol

in all seriousness that seems like a lot to give away in either scenario
    Im confident the picks arent an issue- multiple GMS in this league have told me that they are pure "dartboard". Outside of the top 30 THN prospects reported- the rest arent even guaranteed to be drafted. Its essentially the NHL draft in a 14 team league.

In any case I guess Ill count that one as option C- stand pat- lol!

TBH- maybe I should have just included the first two options. I was going to make one move either way- just curious which one the consensus would have been...

Dobber Sports Wizard

I wouldn't do either deal but if you must do either one, then the Gillies one is much better option.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'll choose option B just because I think option A really sucks. Although if you want to corner the market in Calgary, you gotta et Parsons, since he's most likely to be the long term starter.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'll choose option B just because I think option A really sucks. Although if you want to corner the market in Calgary, you gotta et Parsons, since he's most likely to be the long term starter.
    Yup- working on Parsons and see my response to Jouko for the other half...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I wouldn't do either deal but if you must do either one, then the Gillies one is much better option.
    I hear ya but this is not a standard draft at all- this is a pure dynasty. Ive been told by many GMs in this league that outside of the top 30 youre taking a gamble that even THNs top 100 will get selected by a team. Most teams in the 6/7 range usually just take a goalie on a prayer or something similar. The only pick of consequence imo (outside of the 1st and 2nd rounders) is the 5th and even that will be a stretch to find value ( 14 team lague = 70ish in this years entry draft- so again some value- but a very long shot). 6 and 7s are 84- 98 respectively (again only this years entry draft). I was tripping over myself to move thos cause I would have squandered them. So far the difference between 23rd and 12th this year seems very significant (in most mocks- truly intriguing talent seems to dry up around 20ish- in my estimation anyways...)

Also as a last addendum- Ive got a well stocked farm and it seems relatively easy to acquire late picks back if I had a hankering and again- at this point I dont think I will. Honing in on Gillies Parsons has certain value but outside of that Im really happy with Saaros as my 3rd goalie and goalie of the future. Im rolling Andersen, all of Calgarys starts and Saaros- Korpi was good (Im a fan) but moving up 11 spots and getting one half of calgarys future seemed like a worthwhile investment.

In any case I asked for advice and am very receptive to receiving it- just wanted to clarify exactly what those picks entail....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I hear ya but this is not a standard draft at all- this is a pure dynasty. Ive been told by many GMs in this league that outside of the top 30 youre taking a gamble that even THNs top 100 will get selected by a team. Most teams in the 6/7 range usually just take a goalie on a prayer or something similar. The only pick of consequence imo (outside of the 1st and 2nd rounders) is the 5th and even that will be a stretch to find value ( 14 team lague = 70ish in this years entry draft- so again some value- but a very long shot).

Also as a last addendum- Ive got a well stocked farm and it seems relatively easy to acquire late picks back if I had a hankering and again- at this point I dont think I will.

In any case I asked for advice and am very receptive to receiving it- just wanted to clarify exactly what those picks entail....
    The late picks have little value but Korpisalo has more value than Gillies and trading up just 11 spots. And the other deal was much worse.

I play in leagues that have 20+ teams and 5 rounds of prospect draft, so I know the value of those late picks. You can find some nice sleeper prospects there if you spend some time on it.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The late picks have little value but Korpisalo has more value than Gillies and trading up just 11 spots. And the other deal was much worse.

I play in leagues that have 20+ teams and 5 rounds of prospect draft, so I know the value of those late picks. You can find some nice sleeper prospects there if you spend some time on it.
    I hear ya- I love korpi and gave it a lot of thought on my end- Im also closing in on a deal for Parsons (hopefully) who along with Smith and Lack would set me up long term on a very defensively solid Calgary team. Maybe Im wrong with this deal (time will tell) but my bigger question was to see if option A was a vastly better option than B. Im getting the sense my gut was right and that it wasnt...