Thread: Any trainers on these boards?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Any trainers on these boards?

Completely random post, but are there any people in here who specialize in like physical fitness? I'm looking for some advice on how to get started training (any proper programs if possible) if I want to start doing obstacle courses like on American Ninja Warrior. I'm roughly 5'7 and around 155-160 pounds. In terms of fitness level I'd say I'm around average/slightly above average...I lived a really sedentary life for a few years after I finished undergrad but I've spent the past 6 months or so really busting my ass to get back in shape.

On a related note, what's the best way to get started with doing pull-ups. I've never been good at them and still struggle with them.

Thanks for any advice that folks can provide.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Default Re: Any trainers on these boards?

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    On a related note, what's the best way to get started with doing pull-ups. I've never been good at them and still struggle with them.
    Ask Sam Bennett?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sage

I am a trainer. I recommend you invest a few bucks in some pull-up bands. You can find them on amazon and they come in progressive resistances so you can work your way up until you are comfortable with unassisted repetitions. Also, most gyms these days have a Gravitron or some other device for assisted pull-ups and dips.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I am a trainer. I recommend you invest a few bucks in some pull-up bands. You can find them on amazon and they come in progressive resistances so you can work your way up until you are comfortable with unassisted repetitions. Also, most gyms these days have a Gravitron or some other device for assisted pull-ups and dips.
    Thanks for this, yeah unfortunately the gym that I currently go to (which I get to go to for free) doesn't have an assisted device for pull ups and dips. These bands are cheaper than paying for a gym membership.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Thanks for this, yeah unfortunately the gym that I currently go to (which I get to go to for free) doesn't have an assisted device for pull ups and dips. These bands are cheaper than paying for a gym membership.
    Free is great, regardless of the presence of a Gravitron. The bands will set you back about 15 American dollars. I have had great success with them. They are a staple item in my bag of tricks. Most of my clients cant do a single pull-up when they start with me and within a few months they are able to do a decent amount of pull-ups unassisted. Best wishes to you in achieving your goals.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm no trainer but I def suggest one hundred pushups a day. In the long term if you persistently do them at least 4 or 5 days a week you will see the change in your musculature over a month let's say. Again I am no expert but I've def gotten myself in great shape over the past few years and I think proper push ups are extremely beneficial and they work the entire body. As far as nutrition eliminate as much sugar as possible this will allow for max toning.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov