Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Re-signed] Connor Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [Re-signed] Connor Hellebuyck

Not a contract maven, but did they do this so they can make it easy to trade hellboy? He'll still be a RFA and not a UFA I believe, and is relatively cheap. That was my 1st thought when I saw the deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Bingo! I have been saying for some time now that I think Comrie is the long-term answer in Winnipeg, not Hellebuyck. I guess time will tell if I am wrong there or not, but I think the Jets know what they have in Comrie.

Either way, this contract is a good deal for Hellebuyck, not so much for fantasy owners who have to roster him. That's a lot of cap for a guy who is probably playing 2nd fiddle to Mason this year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Not a contract maven, but did they do this so they can make it easy to trade hellboy? He'll still be a RFA and not a UFA I believe, and is relatively cheap. That was my 1st thought when I saw the deal
    I think at this point, they just wanted to avoid arbitration and the gap between the player and the team wasn't big enough to go through with that whole process. They can sign him to an extension on January 1st I think. And yes, he's still a restricted free agent after the one year contract.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sounds like people have soured on Hellebuyck? This time last year he was the next big thing. I still think he's going to be the answer in winnipeg. Their team has to play a more structured system or else no goalie will succeed there. Key injuries to their D core haven't helped either. When I look at Hellboy's stats in everything other then nhl he's succeeded and even his nhl stats haven't been terrible. Then I look at comrie's stats and he leaves me less then impressed (2 full seasons in the AHL +3.00gaa .906sv%) .Maybe i'm wrong and he does leapfrog helly eventually but I'd be shocked. Even the great Carey Price posted a handful of less then desired statistical seasons during the first half of his career. IMO if Hellebuyck doesn't end up being "the guy" then it'll be someone outside the organization that does.

*that being said as a Hellboy owner I'll still try to grab comrie in my waiver draft as a handcuff
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche_Ambush View Post
    Sounds like people have soured on Hellebuyck? This time last year he was the next big thing. I still think he's going to be the answer in winnipeg. Their team has to play a more structured system or else no goalie will succeed there. Key injuries to their D core haven't helped either. When I look at Hellboy's stats in everything other then nhl he's succeeded and even his nhl stats haven't been terrible. Then I look at comrie's stats and he leaves me less then impressed (2 full seasons in the AHL +3.00gaa .906sv%) .Maybe i'm wrong and he does leapfrog helly eventually but I'd be shocked. Even the great Carey Price posted a handful of less then desired statistical seasons during the first half of his career. IMO if Hellebuyck doesn't end up being "the guy" then it'll be someone outside the organization that does.

*that being said as a Hellboy owner I'll still try to grab comrie in my waiver draft as a handcuff
    In the short-term his value in my opinion has soured. I picked him in a 1 year league last year and ended up regretting it. He showed flashes of his #1 Starter potential but often followed up good games with terrible ones. This should help his development since all the pressure won't be on him and can focus on his development. Long-term he should be a fantasy stud.

The Great One

Definitely soured, and though I get the Comrie love, I'm not ready to abandon Helly yet. Have to say thoigh does go to show everyone who had the next big goalie prospect last Summer should have heeded all the advice to get out early... Wonder if we have another fall from grace for a goalie this year?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think the issue starts and ends with the team committing to a better overall defensive effort.

Its probably going to be on coach, who we all know will ultimately take the fall for the failure to reduce high quality chances against.

Mason is a NHL caliber goalie and Hellebuyck could probably use a little more seasoning as far as preparation and consistency goes.

Hopefully the Jets go with the hot hand.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

I haven't soured on him; I was always higher on Comrie.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

People have definitely flip flopped on Hell but honestly people flip flop on goalies all the time because it's really hard to get it right. A lot of the time you'll see guys just tear up junior and the AHL and for some reason they can't make it happen at the NHL level. I don't think it's that uncommon to see a situation where the golden boy flounders while the guy that was pocketed behind him goes on to have a great career. Just 7 years ago Markstrom Lehner and Bernier were supposed to be the next pillars of goaltending for the next decade and now look at them. Majority of goaltending is mental which can't be projected.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I haven't soured on him; I was always higher on Comrie.
    I guess I just don't understand why people believe in Comrie. As mediocre as Hellebuyck's stats have been at the NHL level... Comrie's has been worse at the AHL level
    player cats:
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood

notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Master

I guess I just don't understand why people believe in Comrie. As mediocre as Hellebuyck's stats have been at the NHL level... Comrie's has been worse at the AHL level
    Manitoba is a horrible squad, so the numbers will definitely suffer. I am with you though as I do think the more talented of the two is Hellebuyck, but as others have said, predicting goalies is so hard. I am doing a major face palm for picking him over Vasilevskiy, but the reverse outcome could easily have happened and I would be the one laughing.

The Jets defence is also terrible at limiting opportunities, so I am not sure any other goalie would have fared much better than Hellebuyck. I hope he bounces back and pushes his way to the larger share of the starts and I think the Jets management is hoping for the same thing.

Definitely a "show me" deal and I do read it as an indictment as to what the Jets think of him.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Manitoba is a horrible squad
    I agree with this but do you feel like theres been many notable changes to their roster since the 2015/16 season when Hellebuyck was there. He had a 2.49gaa and .922 sv% that year.

The only notable losses in my eyes from 2015/16 season are petan,dano and morrisey. While the 2016/17 team had kyle connor and jack roslovic.

Anyways my point being if the teams considered horrible now aren't they basically the same horrible team as when hellboy was there posting solid stats?
    player cats:
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Deity

Let me explain why I feel Comrie will be the better goalie going forward.

If there is one thing young goalies need to improve their game, it's playing time. While Hellebuyck is up trying to prove he is worthy of stealing starts from Mason, Comrie will be in the AHL playing the majority of the games. Who do you think is improving their game more? The young guy battling for playing time in the NHL or the kid playing most of the games in the AHL? I know what one is benefitting more.

As we all know there are no guarantees when it comes to young goalies but I prefer the route the Jets are taking with Comrie compared to the route they are taking with Hellebuyck.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

If there is one thing young goalies need to improve their game, it's playing time. While Hellebuyck is up trying to prove he is worthy of stealing starts from Mason, Comrie will be in the AHL playing the majority of the games. Who do you think is improving their game more? The young guy battling for playing time in the NHL or the kid playing most of the games in the AHL? I know what one is benefitting more.

As we all know there are no guarantees when it comes to young goalies but I prefer the route the Jets are taking with Comrie compared to the route they are taking with Hellebuyck.
    This is true, but you're underestimating the value of being rostered by an NHL team. He's still skating and working out more than Comrie is. Practicing with the best in the world every single day, living and learning the routine, adjusting to the media, the professionalism, the sacrifices required to succeed at the NHL level... it could be argued that those intangibles mean Hellebuyck is in a better position to improve his game than Comrie. Just depends on your perspective, and what the player needs.

Dobber Sports Master

That's an interesting take.. I wonder if the same logic can be applied to what the Ducks did with Theodore and Montour. One stayed down and marinated while the other was "yo-yoed" up and down between the Ducks and Gulls.. and then you hit the playoffs and it's Montour that looks the better stud, yet Theodore was the first call-up all year long.

As much as I see the logic, I am tempted to disagree. Hockey teams are all about winning games. If Comrie was the better option all along, he would be the one being tested in the NHL and not Hellebuyck. It's the same reason NSH let Mazanec go back down while Saros came up to play behind Rinne. All I am saying is that it doesn't necessarily flow that if a player is being left to gain more playing time in the AHL, that they are the better long term project. So much of that is hard to predict. What we saw last year was the Jets thinking Hellebuyck was good enough to be their starter, at the expense of Pavelec and Hutchison. It shouldn't be overlooked that they were ready to rush Hellboy based on what they saw. He let in a lot of bad goals last year, but he was also the scapegoat for a lot of lackadaisical defensive play from the Jets. I watched a lot of games. Yes, a lot of goals went right through Hellebuyck; he was beaten clealy too many times, but the Jets did leave him hanging out to dry and with that defense on paper, should have been a lot better. If the defense improves even only a little, whoever is in net for Winnipeg will do well.

All that being said, I still don't like this contract for Hellebuyck's situation (from the outside looking in). Mason is on a 2 year deal, they could have done 2 years with Hellboy too, but did not. Perhaps it was him who didn't want more than one year, but in any event, it doesn't scream long-term investment.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

I never said Comrie has been the better goalie all along. I said I think Comrie is the better goalie long term. Go back and read my initial post in this thread.