Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who is the best multi-cat stud over the past decade?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Who is the best multi-cat stud over the past decade?

I think a more interesting way to look at this would be to consider not just who is/was the best in multi-cat leagues, but who has the highest gap between points-only value and multi-cat value.

Obviously Ovechkin has been amazing in multi-cat leagues over the last decade, but even without the hits/shots/etc he would have still been a first-round fantasy stud.

With somebody like Backes, his value is almost completely tied to his multi-cat production. In points only leagues he was never anything special (only topping 60 points once (and barely)), but he was always drafted in the early rounds of multi-cat leagues. His production in those categories elevated him from being borderline waiver-wire material to an early pick and one of the most sought after fantasy pieces.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Ovy is legendary when it comes to multi cat. Look at his 2008 season:

110 pts, 528 SOG, 72 PIM, 243 Hits, 46 PPP

....and all from the LW

Has there ever been a better fantasy year than that since Mario or Gretzky ??
    For forwards, probably not. If you include goalies, then yes.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ovi, unquestioned. But moving on from that Simmonds is often criminally underated. Another one is Pacioretty, in the earlier Price days everyone on the Habs would finish with amazing +/- ratings. Patches was a category winner between his goals, massive shot rate, and amazing +/-. Pavelski is another one people forget about, just amazing across the board.

For defense: Big Buff, Burns, Weber (must have at least one of these in multi cat leagues).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Ovy is legendary when it comes to multi cat. Look at his 2008 season:

110 pts, 528 SOG, 72 PIM, 243 Hits, 46 PPP

....and all from the LW

Has there ever been a better fantasy year than that since Mario or Gretzky ??
    Depending on how you rate points vs. peripherals, there's probably about 20 seasons between 1990 and 2006 that are better than that. Especially if you include +/-, which is almost always a multi-cat stat.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Depending on how you rate points vs. peripherals, there's probably about 20 seasons between 1990 and 2006 that are better than that. Especially if you include +/-, which is almost always a multi-cat stat.
    They didn't even track hits and blocks until just over 10 years ago
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Sure, but I'm pretty comfortable saying Selanne having a stat line of

132 PTS. 45 PIMs, 49 PPP, 389 SOG si probably an equivalent season to the Ovechkin one listed, even without hits.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If there's been someone more valuable than Ovechkin, then there's something weird with the categories that are used...
    Ya I can't see how it's not Ovie....but maybe he was looking for a mid round guy not the #1 overall

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sure, but I'm pretty comfortable saying Selanne having a stat line of

132 PTS. 45 PIMs, 49 PPP, 389 SOG si probably an equivalent season to the Ovechkin one listed, even without hits.
    That's nothing compared to some from the 90s. Kevin Stevens in 1991-92 might be the best of all time: 123 points, 254 PIM, 42 PPP and 325 SOG, and I'm sure his Hits would've been through the roof too.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

07-08 Daniel Carcillo. Never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    That's nothing compared to some from the 90s. Kevin Stevens in 1991-92 might be the best of all time: 123 points, 254 PIM, 42 PPP and 325 SOG, and I'm sure his Hits would've been through the roof too.
    Sure, that's really just making my point lol.

Was just contending that while that Ovechkin season was ridiculous, there probably have been a decent amount of equal or better ones that weren't Gretzky/Mario.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I stand corrected. I can't recall that season, I had just turned 1 year old in 91 lol