Thread: Leddy + Vatanen +Hayes for Parayko + Dvorak - is this a no-brainer?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Leddy + Vatanen +Hayes for Parayko + Dvorak - is this a no-brainer?

Looking for advice on this offer, which is about round 15 on a negotiation that was started by me offering Orlov + Coyle for Leddy. For background, I have no chance to break top 2 this year, but I am looking to climb from 5th to 3rd after a couple of rebuilding years and challenge for top in 18/19 or 19/20.

In this iteration, the other GM offered:

His Leddy, Vatanen and K. Hayes for
    My Parayko and Dvorak

My thoughts:
    - I'm of the camp that feels Leddy can do high 40s this year and I agree with Rizeee in another thread that Parayko is capped under Yeo while with Pietrangelo, and 40 is his ceiling
    - So I am Leddy>Parayko at approx +10 pts
    - Dvorak > Hayes for now to the end of time. I hate losing him, but I can't really argue with Vatanen + Hayes for Dvorak can I?
    - I am not a huge Vatanen guy but he might be worth the wait and has name brand trade value
    - Hayes would likely be swapped/dropped as I can't see where he fits in my roster.

Is this a no-brainer or am I looking at this wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Leddy + Vatanen +Hayes for Parayko + Dvorak - is this a no-brainer?

Just a clarification, you would need to drop another player to have this trade work, right?
    What's your plan there?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Magnificent One

Not sure I see the benefit here. You mention that you are going to drop Hayes but one of your points is Hayes + vat is worth Dvorak. So yeah if you already need to make drops adding a third piece doesn't seem worth it.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Just a clarification, you would need to drop another player to have this trade work, right?
    What's your plan there?
    We are in pre-protection mode so no roster limits until late August or so. But ya, Vatanen would take Dvorak's slot and Leddy, Parayko's- so I would be one over protection if I bring in Hayes too. I would have until September to sort that but could see him as an asset to add on to a different package.

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Not sure I see the benefit here. You mention that you are going to drop Hayes but one of your points is Hayes + vat is worth Dvorak. So yeah if you already need to make drops adding a third piece doesn't seem worth it.
    Ya point, that was inconsistent. Hayes seems like a throw-in from his side (I didn't ask for him), i might be able to flip it out for a pick or perhaps look at Barzel (but that would force me to bump Sprong from the protection list.)

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

The Great One

I refer Dvorak for the second part, even if I do get the Leddy side (not sure I agree it's a 10 point swing though) for the coming season
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, I agree that I don't see Leddy being much ahead of Parayko this coming season, especially not 10 points. Past next season I would definitely prefer Parayko.
    I think that's what I have a tough time with this deal. Try and consolidate Vatanen/Hayes into a better return as one player or a good pick instead.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Definitely the approwch I'd take

So this shows the benefit of these boards, this is a completely different response than I expected and one that has forced me to rethink matters, particularly how high people seem to be on Parayko.

So is this a 3-4 year perspective? I agree with RizzeeDizzee's view in the Defence forum, that at least in the short term (17/18 perhaps 18/19) its hard to see how Parayko can substantively top his numbers last year with Alex P getting the lion's share of PP and St. Louis playing a 4-1 under Yeo (AP had 70% of PP time in Q4 last year after Yeo arrived). This is where I see the + 10 flowing from- Leddy has no competition for PP1 on the 4-1 Islanders (and getting 65% or so time all year last year), and I am betting Weight has some better offensive management than Capuano- there is some room to gain there. A jump from 46-50pts is not unreasonable- Parayko, a bump up from 35, maybe 40? I am landing on 38 or so.

Anyway, I am not arguing a case to justify making a deal (I will likely go through with something like this, but perhaps no longer with Dvorak), I just usually find my views similar to yours EB and Sulla, so this is a bit of a surprise. Thanks again for replying, enjoyed considering the responses.

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Polecon View Post
    So this shows the benefit of these boards, this is a completely different response than I expected and one that has forced me to rethink matters, particularly how high people seem to be on Parayko.

So is this a 3-4 year perspective? I agree with RizzeeDizzee's view in the Defence forum, that at least in the short term (17/18 perhaps 18/19) its hard to see how Parayko can substantively top his numbers last year with Alex P getting the lion's share of PP and St. Louis playing a 4-1 under Yeo (AP had 70% of PP time in Q4 last year after Yeo arrived). This is where I see the + 10 flowing from- Leddy has no competition for PP1 on the 4-1 Islanders (and getting 65% or so time all year last year), and I am betting Weight has some better offensive management than Capuano- there is some room to gain there. A jump from 46-50pts is not unreasonable- Parayko, a bump up from 35, maybe 40? I am landing on 38 or so.

Anyway, I am not arguing a case to justify making a deal (I will likely go through with something like this, but perhaps no longer with Dvorak), I just usually find my views similar to yours EB and Sulla, so this is a bit of a surprise. Thanks again for replying, enjoyed considering the responses.
    We have been wrong before, and that's the fun in this. Leddy probably is a little underrated, but just like there being AP in STL, there are also many other D in NYI, so Leddy could be pushed into a defensive role behind Boychuk or to shelter Pulock.
    Definitely a good debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    We have been wrong before, and that's the fun in this. Leddy probably is a little underrated, but just like there being AP in STL, there are also many other D in NYI, so Leddy could be pushed into a defensive role behind Boychuk or to shelter Pulock.
    Definitely a good debate.
    I hadn't even considered Leddy as an option until I got involved in the Leddy v. Gardiner discussion from earlier this month. His underlying numbers are very interesting.

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G

The Great One

They are - issue is whether he ever gets a chance to expand on those numbers with Pulock in the wings