Thread: Musings on Carlson/Orlov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Musings on Carlson/Orlov

Looking into Orlov in one of my leagues and trying to decide what his outlook is, not just this year, but over the next three or so.

The conclusion I came to is that we're getting more of the same this coming season, but that his value hinges on whether Carlson stays with Washington or not. His contract is up and I think he gets at least what Shattenkirk did this offseason. If Washington couldn't fit Shattenkirk in, then they will also have a little trouble fitting Carlson. Yes it is tough to imagine that he moves on, but his longtime friend in Karl Alzner also left via FA, and it seems like the current Washington model is not going to get him a cup.

My gut feeling is that he moves on, both because Washington and he feel that a change is needed, and also just because it will be too tough to make the dollars work on top of every other large contract already on the books. Yes Lars Eller will probably be gone too, but that only frees up so much space, and they will need to replace him too.

Anyways, I'm curious to hear some thoughts on where we see Carlson past this summer, and what the consensus outlook on Orlov seems to be this coming year and past that.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Default Re: Musings on Carlson/Orlov

I like Carlson but I think bringing in Shatenkirk indicates that Washington aren't as sold on him which gives me the impression they part ways next Summer...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I like Carlson but I think bringing in Shatenkirk indicates that Washington aren't as sold on him which gives me the impression they part ways next Summer...
    You mean bringing him in just for the playoff push? Because he has since moved on.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Yeah... I think they see a better fit up top and though Shatenkirk came in and left again I think it showed a lack of faith in Carlson

The Great One

I think they'll find a way to re-sign Carlson. Kids like Vrana and Bowey will probably be on their way up in a year or two on cheap contracts. I wouldn't count on Orlov being 1PP after this year, if that is what you are asking...

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I was just tossing out the possibility. Definitely not something I would bank on, you're right, but at this moment in time, it does seem possible.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think they will find a way to extend Carlson. He had a rough year last year but was exceptional prior to that. I'm expecting him to bounce back in a big way this year.

I like Orlov as well but I think Carlson is the better all round player. I'd feel pretty uneasy about Orlov being my #1 if I were the Caps.

The Great One

I feel Carlson left wouldn't it more likely fall to Niskanen who has stepped in and done well when Carlson has been bumped due to injury etc previously

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Yeah... I think they see a better fit up top and though Shatenkirk came in and left again I think it showed a lack of faith in Carlson
    They acquired Shattenkirk because he was the best possible rental available and they didn't want their competition to get him. I don't see it being lack of faith in Carlson at all. Carlson was battling injuries at the time, so it was more of a backup option for him if he couldn't play. Carlson was still getting highest TOI after Shattenkirk arrived because they quickly realized Carlson is a much better player compared to Shattenkirk.

I would be very surprised if Carlson wasn't re-signed. He's likely getting between $5.5M and $6.5M but that's money well spent especially considering what Shattenkirk got this summer and that was considered a bargain by many. If Carlson isn't willing to take $6.5M, then maybe they start consider trading him.

The Great One

If Carlson was going to be a fantasy star, he'd be a fantasy star. He's received no shortage of opportunities for a high powered offense and other than a roughly 100 game stretch has never produced even 0.5 points per game. His game is not one that lends itself to high scoring. Meanwhile, what we saw from Orlov last season was his absolute floor, and honestly the only thing holding him back is his lack of PP time due to his shot not aligning with Ovi's one-timer. I believe Carlson will re-sign, yet I still believe Orlov puts up more points than Carlson this season and collectively over the next three. Plain and simple he's the better scoring d-man.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Iow that's a bold prediction for the thread!

Not ot sure id go that far but this season will be an interesting one and will lead to an even more interesting summer...

The Great One

I gave Orlov and Hertl away for nothing in a deep dybasty to land my toffoli for his kk

TT, Hertl. Orlov
    for
    V Rask, Camal, and Kaprizov

Im gonna cry...