Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Underappreciated Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Pro

Default The Underappreciated Steve Mason

Amazes me how criminally underrated Steve Mason is in fantasy at present. Or maybe I am just crazy.

In a 12 team dynasty startup draft just days ago he was the 29th active NHL goalie drafted. He is 29 years old and over the past 4 seasons his even strength save % is comparable to guys like Holtby, Dubnyk, Crawford, Anderson and Luongo. His 4v5 save % was garbage last year and isn't great over that three year period, but there are studies that indicate 4v5 save % is fairly random from season to season and is a much less predictive stat than 5v5 save%.

Just 3 seasons ago Mason put up a Vezina-worthy showing (2.25 GAA and .928 save %), and the Jets could potentially be a very good team this year. Maybe Mason is just a stopgap for the Jets and Hellebuyck re-takes the job in a year or two, but it is hardly a foregone conclusion. If Mason can give them stability in net it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them extend him for another few years after this contract. Even if they don't, he's got plenty of hockey left in him somewhere else.

Additional Reading: "Mason Brings Elite-Level Performances to the Jets" https://jetsnation.ca/2017/07/02/mas...s-to-the-jets/

The Great One

Default Re: The Underappreciated Steve Mason

His most games appeared in the last four seasons was 61, so that's one issue. Plus only once did he have a ratio of more than 50% wins to appearances. That sours him in the eyes of poolies. I notice also that the tables don't highlight GAA, where he's been downright lousy. Some of this is likely the fault of the team in front of him, but poolies need to win leagues and Mason wasn't the guy to help them accomplish that of late. Maybe Winnipeg will be the right spot though - time will tell.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't know if you can say criminally underrated after the season he had. You're right that since he joined Philadelphia he has been pretty underrated as he's been very quietly putting up some great numbers. But last year he put up a pretty average season and he's going to a team that hasn't been able to show that it's capable of doing anything right really despite being loaded with some pretty strong players both up front and on the back end.

It's a worthy gamble for those looking for goaltending help late in the draft/on the wire but I wouldn't actively look to pick him.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    His most games appeared in the last four seasons was 61, so that's one issue. Plus only once did he have a ratio of more than 50% wins to appearances. That sours him in the eyes of poolies. I notice also that the tables doesn't highlight GAA, where he's downright lousy. Some of this is likely the fault of the team in front of him, but poolies need to win leagues and Mason wasn't the guy to help them accomplish that of late. Maybe Winnipeg will be the right spot though - time will tell.
    All of that is fair. I'm not suggesting Mason is a top 10 fantasy goalie or anything. I just think poolies have soured on him way more than is reasonable considering the results he can give. There aren't really 29 active NHL goalies that you want to take over Steve Mason in a dynasty startup, are there?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Not from a fantasy perspective... but as a Flyers fan... I was hoping he was the goalie that got resigned and not Neuvy.

Flyers have not really ever put a solid D core in front of him and always tend to take a higher # of PIMS then most teams...which could be a result for his lower 4 v 5 %.

Dobber Sports Master

I watched Mason a lot wearing orange and black. Not once, did I ever feel confident that Mason could steal a game for us. I think others might see the same thing. I dont see the numbers, I end up going by how he makes me feel during a game. That is mostly worried. Philly's defence wasn't that great last year. It was their biggest problem. Not scoring, not goaltending, defence was the issue. Provorov, a 19 year old rookie, was our best defenceman. Lawd jesus help me. Maybe he'll have a better run in Winnipeg as their dmen corps is a lot better there. I found that Mason gave up the wrong goal at the wrong time a lot.

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree that he's underappreciated.

Last year was a bad one for him though.
    I like his situation heading into WPG. He should play ~50-55 games. The Jets defense is pretty darn good.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Deity

Underappreciated, maybe. If ANYONE is underappreciated on that list, it's Craig Anderson, not Steve Mason. 20 less starts than Mason and three more victories on an arguably weaker team for the past few seasons.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I wouldn't actively look to pick him.
    Did Bondon just predict Mason's Vezina win?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Underappreciated, maybe. If ANYONE is underappreciated on that list, it's Craig Anderson, not Steve Mason. 20 less starts than Mason and three more victories on an arguably weaker team for the past few seasons.
    In a one year league I agree, Anderson is very underrated. In the dynasty startup previously mentioned Mason went off the board 29th and Anderson went 30th among active NHL goalies. Mason is 7 years younger. That makes me feel that Mason is the one being severely underrated.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

We with Mason be rated with the Jets this year....
    1- 5
    5-10
    10-15
    15-20
    20+

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I agree that he's underappreciated.

Last year was a bad one for him though.
    I like his situation heading into WPG. He should play ~50-55 games. The Jets defense is pretty darn good.
    They have what appears to be a talented set of defensemen but their team defense is pretty bad.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    In a one year league I agree, Anderson is very underrated. In the dynasty startup previously mentioned Mason went off the board 29th and Anderson went 30th among active NHL goalies. Mason is 7 years younger. That makes me feel that Mason is the one being severely underrated.
    Why just a one year? Anderson has been the better goalie for a few years now and is still better going forward in my eyes. He may be "older" but he still looks just as good today as Mason. I'd have no issues drafting Anderson ahead of Mason in a keeper.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Why just a one year? Anderson has been the better goalie for a few years now and is still better going forward in my eyes. He may be "older" but he still looks just as good today as Mason. I'd have no issues drafting Anderson ahead of Mason in a keeper.
    I guess you are immune to the age bias that affects many of us in keeper leagues. Good on you!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I guess you are immune to the age bias that affects many of us in keeper leagues. Good on you!
    When it comes to goalies, yes I am. Goalies play well into their 30s at a pretty high level.