Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Signing] Parayko - 5.5m

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [Signing] Parayko - 5.5m

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I'm sure St. Louis wanted that, but the term is likely where Parayko's camp pushed back most
    The issue for me is that the Parayko camp didn't have any real leverage here. Worst case scenario is they go to arbitration and sign a bridge contract (not sure if it was 1 or 2 years), and then Parayko is still RFA. There was no reason to panic, Parayko was not going to be UFA after his arbitration awarded contract.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The issue for me is that the Parayko camp didn't have any real leverage here. Worst case scenario is they go to arbitration and sign a bridge contract (not sure if it was 1 or 2 years), and then Parayko is still RFA. There was no reason to panic, Parayko was not going to be UFA after his arbitration awarded contract.
    Arbitration usually fractures player-team relationship. There's a lot of pressure and benefit to not going to arbitration. That in itself is leverage. You could say Slavvin didn't have a lot of leverage and he got a similar contract.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Arbitration usually fractures player-team relationship.
    Agreed - folks not already familiar with the story should google Tommy Salo and Mike Milbury when you have a few minutes to spare.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

The contract is just the cost of doing business in the NHL. Teams need to retain their top rearguards. No question. This contract is fine.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thats actually not expensive at all for a premier defenseman like Parayko, for those of us in cap leagues who track salary trends. I feel like the only people surprised by this are about 5 years behind league norms.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Agreed - folks not already familiar with the story should google Tommy Salo and Mike Milbury when you have a few minutes to spare.
    Tommy Salo always let things get out of hand when they went to his head... at least that's the scouting report Belarus went with!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

Arbitration usually fractures player-team relationship. There's a lot of pressure and benefit to not going to arbitration. That in itself is leverage. You could say Slavvin didn't have a lot of leverage and he got a similar contract.
    At least Carolina got 7 years and actually a bit smaller cap hit. And Slavin is Carolina's top blueliner whereas Parayko is just the 2nd best in St Louis. Slavin played over 2 minutes per game more than Parayko. To me, Slavin's contract is better than Parayko's contract (not for fantasy hockey purposes but for real life purposes).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    At least Carolina got 7 years and actually a bit smaller cap hit. And Slavin is Carolina's top blueliner whereas Parayko is just the 2nd best in St Louis. Slavin played over 2 minutes per game more than Parayko. To me, Slavin's contract is better than Parayko's contract (not for fantasy hockey purposes but for real life purposes).
    There's a lot of evidence to suggest Parayko is actually St. Louis' best defenceman, even if he's not used that way yet.

And again, I was really just disputing the point that there was no leverage.

Dobber Sports Wizard

There's a lot of evidence to suggest Parayko is actually St. Louis' best defenceman, even if he's not used that way yet.

And again, I was really just disputing the point that there was no leverage.
    I know that but there's no way they could have proven it at arbitration hearing. The team can just show TOI and offensive stats and that's what arbitrators understand. Usage is everything in those hearings.