Thread: Best Third Goalie Option

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Best Third Goalie Option

Who would be the best third goalie option for a dynasty points only format. Goalies points mimic team point system with an extra point for shutouts.

Mason, Steve
    Smith, Mike
    Bernier, Jonathan
    Reimer, James
    Hutton, Carter
    Grubauer, Philipp
    Howard, Jimmy
    Lack, Eddie
    Pavelec, Ondrej
    Stalock, Alex

How would you rank these 3 as options for down the road?

Coreau, Jared
    Martin, Spencer
    Lyon, Alex

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Best Third Goalie Option

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dangles View Post
    Who would be the best third goalie option for a dynasty points only format. Goalies points mimic team point system with an extra point for shutouts.

Smith, Mike
    Bernier, Jonathan
    Reimer, James
    Hutton, Carter
    Grubauer, Philipp
    Howard, Jimmy
    Lack, Eddie
    Pavelec, Ondrej
    Stalock, Alex

Coreau, Jared
    Martin, Spencer
    Lyon, Alex
    I would go with Mike Smith out of those goalies listed. He should get the most games in and is still a decent goalie.

Dobber Sports Monster

Smith, Mike
    Bernier, Jonathan
    Reimer, James
    Hutton, Carter
    Grubauer, Philipp
    Howard, Jimmy
    Lack, Eddie
    Pavelec, Ondrej
    Stalock, Alex

Coreau, Jared
    Martin, Spencer
    Lyon, Alex
    If you are looking to get points this season and try and contend I would go with Mike Smith out of those goalies listed. He should get the most games in and is still a decent goalie. If you have a rebuilding team then I would go with Philip Grubauer since he is young and is arguably the best back up goalie in the game.

Goalie prospects are often hard to predict and a crap shoot but if I had to choose one it would be Alex Lyon. Was one of the best goalies coming out of college after the 15/16 season and is now getting accustomed to the pro game in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In your experience, how well do the college tenders fair in the transition from college to the NHL? Is there developement time usually shorter than a goalie from major junior? Longer?

Dobber Sports Monster

In your experience, how well do the college tenders fair in the transition from college to the NHL? Is there developement time usually shorter than a goalie from major junior? Longer?
    Usually college goalies tend to be a bit more seasoned than major junior but then again they are 1-3 years older. Also, each goalie is different and may need more time to adjust which also makes projecting goalies a lot harder.

Dobber Sports Stud

Mike Smith, and quite easily. Yeah, he could be a train wreck like Elliott was, but the upside is huge with the team he has in front of him. Let's also not forget how horrible the Pacific division is, with several teams trending down and the Ducks with two of their top D injured for a long time this coming season.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

Another vote for Smith. He should give you a couple good years of production for a 3rd goalie.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I agree with the above, Mike Smith is a top end option. I also think Mason could get a fair amount of wins in Winnipeg.

AS for the young guy I am not very confident in ranking prospect goalies. Sorry!

Dobber Sports Stud

Coreau, Jared
    Martin, Spencer
    Lyon, Alex
    Exactly how you listed them: Coreau, Martin, Lyon. Detroit seems to be quite high on Coreau, and he has a pretty good chance of being a starting goalie there. Martin is in a good position within the Avs organization, as he is the best (only?) goalie prospect they've got, and after losing Pickard and with Varlamov being as injury prone as can be, he could move farther up the depth chart pretty fast. I don't expect anything from Lyon. The FLyers future in net is either Hart or Sandstrom.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Mason, Steve
    Smith, Mike
    Bernier, Jonathan
    Reimer, James
    Hutton, Carter
    Grubauer, Philipp
    Howard, Jimmy
    Lack, Eddie
    Pavelec, Ondrej
    Stalock, Alex

Coreau, Jared
    Martin, Spencer
    Lyon, Alex
    Smith for short term and Reimer and Grubauer long term. Reimer will see the lions share 1A 1B this year and then will be the 1 for a few more years. Grubauer has been to good not to get a starting job in 2018-2019 with another team.

Dobber Sports Pro

Amazes me how criminally underrated Steve Mason is in fantasy at present.

In a 12 team dynasty startup draft just days ago he was the 29th active NHL goalie drafted. He is 29 years old and over the past 4 seasons his even strength save % is comparable to guys like Holtby, Dubnyk, Crawford, Anderson and Luongo. His 4v5 save % was garbage last year and isn't great over that three year period, but there are studies that indicate 4v5 save % is fairly random from season to season and is a much less predictive stat than 5v5 save%.

Just 3 seasons ago Mason put up a Vezina-worthy showing (2.25 GAA and .928 save %), and the Jets could potentially be a very good team this year. Maybe Mason is just a stopgap for the Jets and Hellebuyck re-takes the job in a year or two, but it is hardly a foregone conclusion. If Mason can give them stability in net it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them extend him for another few years after this contract.

All that to say that I would go with Mason out of the choices you presented. And it is not close for me. Particularly if this is a keeper/dynasty format.

Additional Reading: "Mason Brings Elite-Level Performances to the Jets" https://jetsnation.ca/2017/07/02/mas...s-to-the-jets/

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I agree with the above, Mike Smith is a top end option. I also think Mason could get a fair amount of wins in Winnipeg.

AS for the young guy I am not very confident in ranking prospect goalies. Sorry!
    this for me too!
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)