Thread: Owen Tippett signs ELC with Panthers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Owen Tippett signs ELC with Panthers

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/13...medium=twitter

Dale Tallon has also said he has a chance to make the team out of camp:

Cats0ntheprowl
    Tallon on Tippett at dev. camp: "This kid's got a chance, because he's got a scoring ability that we obviously...they're hard to find."
    Jul 19, 2017, 4:18 PM

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Owen Tippett signs ELC with Panthers

yup, he's got a chance... but a small one, very small. Give him another year, or two
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

He will battle it out with Haapala for that 2nd line spot next to Trocheck. I think Haapala will win it in the end but wouldn't surprise me if they let him play a handful of games before they send him back down.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Expert

I get this Phil Kessel vibes out of Tippett, but I also thought Nikita Filatov was the next Pavel Bure so......
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I get this Phil Kessel vibes out of Tippett, but I also thought Nikita Filatov was the next Pavel Bure so......
    can Tippett skate anywhere near as well as Kessel? One thing to have a similar release, another to have the wheels on top of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    He will battle it out with Haapala for that 2nd line spot next to Trochek. I think Haapala will win it in the end but wouldn't surprise me if they let him play a handful of games before they send him back down.
    I think Hawryluk is going to get a long look at camp
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    can Tippett skate anywhere near as well as Kessel? One thing to have a similar release, another to have the wheels on top of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Hawryluk is going to get a long look at camp
    I think Hawryluk will make it but get bottom 6 minutes and plug his way into a top 6 role when a big gun goes down with injury. Everything I've read (mostly direct quotes from Tallon) have Haapala or Tippett making that 2nd line with Trocheck... then again, it is very early in the off-season. As always... time will tell...
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Expert

Way too much spec for my liking. Whole forward lineup is up in the air. Rumors of Bjugstad moving over to wing etc.
    Only safe bet to make the team of the rooks is Mamin with Repo a close 2nd.

Malgin, McCann,Hapaala, Jayce could all very much make the team or not. I also see an outside chance of Mascherin.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    Way too much spec for my liking. Whole forward lineup is up in the air. Rumors of Bjugstad moving over to wing etc.
    Only safe bet to make the team of the rooks is Mamin with Repo a close 2nd.

Malgin, McCann,Hapaala, Jayce could all very much make the team or not. I also see an outside chance of Mascherin.
    Agreed it is too early to tell right now. But I'll leave this July 5th article for everyone's perusal:

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/ha...hl/c-290300436

Florida PanthersVerified account @FlaPanthersFollow

Henrik Haapala & Sebastian Repo are ready to make the jump from @smliiga to the @NHL.

For now, Tallon envisions Haapala being centered by Vincent Trocheck.
    "I was very impressed with our free-agent singing from Finland, Haapala," Tallon said. "I thought he was great this week. He's fast and very creative. He'd fit in nicely [on the second line]."
    As for Repo, the 21-year-old winger admittedly looks better suited for a bottom-six role, bringing a more physical, two-way game to the Panthers than Haapala, who is known more for his dynamic playmaking on offense.
    Looks more to me like Haapala and Repo have the inside tracks on the open spots in the top 6 and bottom 6 with the rest on the outside looking in. With Haley and McCann the odd men out.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mamin goes back to Russia for another year to get a shot at the olympics tbh.
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Demi-God

One things to note on ALL this stuff, its to the benefit of GMs and coaches to speak on behalf of the upside of a player.
    "We can see him on the team out of camp"... "We can see him on line #2"...
    Saying that kind of stuff works better for both team & fans because they get excited about the franchise and a player's long-term place on it.

For the same reason, you see a team place a young winger or AHL call-up sometimes on the top line.
    Its not that the organization views that player there, so much as... they want to give them (/fans) a sniff of what could be...
    Optimism is generally favoured in the North American culture - over realism.

There's only a handful of GMs/coaches that speak very realistically about their players.
    Though I think Sweeney did that last year when he drafted that one mid-first round pick and called him a good future 3rd liner (somebody's gotta remember that one!).

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    One things to note on ALL this stuff, its to the benefit of GMs and coaches to speak on behalf of the upside of a player.
    "We can see him on the team out of camp"... "We can see him on line #2"...
    Saying that kind of stuff works better for both team & fans because they get excited about the franchise and a player's long-term place on it.

For the same reason, you see a team place a young winger or AHL call-up sometimes on the top line.
    Its not that the organization views that player there, so much as... they want to give them (/fans) a sniff of what could be...
    Optimism is generally favoured in the North American culture - over realism.

There's only a handful of GMs/coaches that speak very realistically about their players.
    Though I think Sweeney did that last year when he drafted that one mid-first round pick and called him a good future 3rd liner (somebody's gotta remember that one!).
    100% with you on this, Peng.
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Agreed it is too early to tell right now. But I'll leave this July 5th article for everyone's perusal:

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/ha...hl/c-290300436

Looks more to me like Haapala and Repo have the inside tracks on the open spots in the top 6 and bottom 6 with the rest on the outside looking in. With Haley and McCann the odd men out.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mamin goes back to Russia for another year to get a shot at the olympics tbh.

My inside source tells me he is shocked if Mamin does not make the team. So far he has been close to 100%. Mamin also told the press he is not bolting to Russia no matter what.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Wizard

My inside source tells me he is shocked if Mamin does not make the team. So far he has been close to 100%. Mamin also told the press he is not bolting to Russia no matter what.
    Mamin is a good bet for bottom-6, that role is a good fit for him in the NHL. He's further in development than Repo, so he should have the edge there.

For Haapala, it's top-6 or bust for him. There's nothing he can provide from bottom-6 role.

Dobber Sports Master

they said the same about lawson crouse

Dobber Sports Sage

Where does he say that? Because he said this last week to the press:

MaximMamin tells Sport-Express there's a clause in his contract that lets him leave for the KHL if he doesn't make the NHL.
    and...
    The Olympics are a strong argument [to stay in Russia]
    Just saying...

Again, wouldn't be surprised to see him in a bottom 6 role but he isn't competing with Haapala or Tippett (who is a very long shot himself imo). He's competing with Sceviour, Haley, Hawyrluk and Repo.

Interested in knowing who your inside source is though. I don't mind being wrong.
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Monster

Might be best if they send this kid back down to juniors for 1 more year. More ice-time and not rushing a prospect is never a bad thing.