Thread: Malkin's Rough Value

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Malkin's Rough Value

Hey all, This is a fairly general question (which I apologize for). I'm in a 32 team dynasty league (no salary cap) and have just entered a rebuild, which is something that I've never done before in my fantasy career, so I feel like a bit of a newbie even though I have been doing fantasy for a while. I'm hoping to move Malkin and was wondering what a fair return for him would be. My team currently has basically no depth, with only 3 or 4 true NHLers left.

My current thought is grabbing tons of young players and prospects. Rantanen and/or Neal, plus 2-3 prospects from this year's draft (Gabe Vilardi, Jesper Boqvist, Kole Lind) and 2-3 picks from next year's Entry Draft (roughly 15th overall for the best one, then 45+ for the others). Am I aiming too high? Too low?

Again, sorry for the newbie question!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Malkin's Rough Value

When I traded for Malkin this year in a 12 team I gave Dougie Hamilton/Connor Hellebuyck.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Titan

Welcome to the forums!

Generally the league dictates the return. You should be able to see what others stars have been traded for and then determine if you're being offered enough for Malkin.

Just want to clarify:
    You do have a salary cap, or no?
    And what are the categories of your league?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Trading Malkin in the offseason is never going to get you close to full value, since other GMs will harp on his injuries and advancing age. The one and only time to trade Malkin for anything close to decent value is when he's healthy and on fire. Either wait until then, or be prepared to get dimes for dollars in relation to his true value.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks! =)
    Sorry, I just fixed my original post: there is no salary cap. It is an fpts league with most categories except FOW and ATOI, and all defensemen get 1.3x fpts. Not many stars have actually moved in the last 2 years in the league, and when they have, it has been for players that are roughly equivalent (for example, Seguin for Simmonds+kickers). I'm thinking more about getting a huge amount of depth in young guys and hope that 20% of them turn into good/great players. I've seen one guy successfully do that in one of my other leagues (but it is only 12 teams, not 32, so not really comparable).