Thread: Expectations on Hischier, Patrick, Keller, Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Expectations on Hischier, Patrick, Keller, Puljujarvi

for the 2017/18 season. how many points do you project for these 4 players

The Great One

Default Re: Expectations on Hischier, Patrick, Keller, Puljujarvi

Patrick- Toews light- better real life- rookie season of 45ish,
    Hischier- going to come on fast as he started to focus on hockey relatively later in life. 55 with Hall this year but he will eventually really seperate himself from Patrick imho.
    Keller- a lot of competition but hes a beast. I feel like year one hes a bit slower (55ish?) but will figure out that he needs to shoot more and take a bigger step in year 2. I own him and Id love to be proven wrong- but thats my expectation.
    Pool Party- 30. Hes not even destroying the league hes in right now- could be a slow start or 'GULP" THE NEXT MSP ...

Dobber Sports Ace

Patrick - 35. Like Emu said, Toews-light and given the evidence, you may have to assume some injury-time + his usage isn't clear IMO.

Hischier - 45. He'll get minutes and he'll get them with Hall/Palmieri/Johanssen/Zacha. But the defense still sucks and zone entry is going be difficult. Young kids, regardless of draft position, often take time to play well in their own zone. Given that Hall only scored 53 last year, it's hard to be bullish on 50+ from Hischier.

Keller - 50. The guy has a great opportunity. Again, the question mark is usage - winger or center? I think 50 would be awesome for him and quite doable.

Pool - agree with Emu. He's not dominating - he's crazy talented but he may become a Jussi Jokinen (which isn't too shabby). The Jokinen signing was shrewd of the Oilers - that may be what Pool becomes.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Deity

Patrick - I won't be surprised to see Nolan Patrick go back to Jr this upcoming season considering how much time he missed last year. My best guess - 0 points

Hischier - It's never easy coming into the league as a center and expecting big things, even when you are the 1st overall pick. I am not sure how the Devils will start him out. They could let him slowly learn the game in a reduced level, much like the way the Leafs did last year with Matthews. They do have Henrique, Zajac and Zacha down the middle already so they don't have to drop Hischier into any type of pressure role out of the gate. That being said, he will get his opportunities. My best guess - 35-40 pts

Keller - If Tocchet is smart he will line Keller and Strome together on the 2nd line and let them start to develop chemistry that will drive the Coyotes for years. He has all the skill in the world but there's still a learning curve coming into the league. He got a taste at the end of last year but this year, playing a full season, is never easy. My best guess - 40-45pts

Puljujarvi - I love reading the comments from folks who are already starting to question Puljujarvi and his NHL potential. I guess those who are starting to doubt must now think CBJ were smart for passing on him in last years draft after all. I am not one of them. He's still a freaking teenager (JUST turned 19 in May) for god sakes. Patience people. I don't think Puljujarvi plays a full NHL season this year again and the Oilers play it smart and let him gain more traction in the AHL this season. He will get some time up in the bigs but I will be surprised if he plays all 82 games with the Oilers. My best guess - 20-25pts
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

thanks for the thoughtful and lengthy replies guys. now i have a good idea where to project them myself. i had keller around the 40 pt range but had not much idea bout the others. thanks again

Dobber Sports Stud

on an aside, I have no doubt about Puljujarvi's ability or skillset. I question how the Oilers "braintrust" handle developing players.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also think people giving up on Puljujarvi is crazy. I feel like the Jussi comparisons are almost meant as a downgrade, but that dude put up multiple 55-65 point seasons. Jokinen would be a great outcome for any draft pick. I never thought Puljujarvi had 80 point upside, so I still don't. I think he's still a 70 point upside player though. At this point I think I would rank them as

Hischier
    Keller
    Puljujarvi
    Patrick

But not for next year. I agree with Axe Puljujarvi will spend time in the AHL. The only questionable thing Edmonton has done with him is burn a UFA year for healthy scratches.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I also think people giving up on Puljujarvi is crazy. I feel like the Jussi comparisons are almost meant as a downgrade, but that dude put up multiple 55-65 point seasons. Jokinen would be a great outcome for any draft pick. I never thought Puljujarvi had 80 point upside, so I still don't. I think he's still a 70 point upside player though. At this point I think I would rank them as
    I probably agree with you. Perhaps I see Jokinen as a downgrade because Puljujarvi was billed otherwise - as a franchise cornerstone (considered only a smidge behind Matthews/Laine) that happened to fall to the Oilers. Jokinen has never been a franchise cornerstone. A great journeyman, (on his 6th team) secondary scorer whose impact on the ice would be a good achievement for Puljujarvi.

To be clear, I think he's got the talent to achieve his original billing but not in Edmonton (for reasons such as opportunity, usage, Oilers' development) - and therefore, I think a Jokinen-comparison is a next best thing. And certainly not a knock on either player.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    I probably agree with you. Perhaps I see Jokinen as a downgrade because Puljujarvi was billed otherwise - as a franchise cornerstone (considered only a smidge behind Matthews/Laine) that happened to fall to the Oilers. Jokinen has never been a franchise cornerstone. A great journeyman, (on his 6th team) secondary scorer whose impact on the ice would be a good achievement for Puljujarvi.

To be clear, I think he's got the talent to achieve his original billing but not in Edmonton (for reasons such as opportunity, usage, Oilers' development) - and therefore, I think a Jokinen-comparison is a next best thing. And certainly not a knock on either player.
    I think you are too focused on the old management style of the Old Boys Club the Oilers used to employ (KLowe, MacT). Times have changed, and so has the brain trust. The Oilers are in no rush to have Puljujarvi up with them, although they would be more than happy if he was ready this year. If he isn't, I don't see them forcing the issue. That's the old way of thinking.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."