Thread: Jared Coreau

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Jared Coreau

Took a gamble and acquired Coreau in my dynasty league (in signature). Price was pretty cheap so thought I would bite. Long Term - does he have any shot of being the future in Detroit? Short Term - do you think he'll make some appearances next year? Maybe challenge Mrazek a bit?
    LookoutBergman 20-Team 32-man (+10 Farm) Dynasty: G,A,Pt,+/-,GWG,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blks,FOW

C: Hischier, Spezza, Shipachyov, Dvorak, D Strome
    LW: Meier, Labanc, Connor, Boedker
    RW: Oshie, Puljujarvi, Boeser, Prince, Stafford
    D: Ekblad, Matheson, Honka, Ceci, Oduya, Polak, Irwin
    G: Quick, Darling, Coreau
    F: Glass, Pettersson, Kaprizov, Gusev, Walman

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Jared Coreau

I've also been holding him on the hunch that Detroit would move Mrazek before the season starts.

If Mrazek is moved he will likely see 20 to 30 games. Long term I'm not sure what he is yet, goalies are so tough to predict. Skills wise I only think he is average, but I once said that about Dubnyk as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There was a nice piece in The Athletic comparing Coreau and Mrazek's styles. Coreau is a huge goalie, and that seems to be a better fit when playing behind a defensive corps as *ahem* mediocre as Detroit's. Mrazek is a more athletic goalie and hasn't been adapting to the style of play that Detroit want him to play (sitting deeper back in the crease).

The indication is that a Howard-Coreau tandem is more likely but I'll add the same caveat as others: with goalie prospects, who knows...

Here's the link to the article: https://theathletic.com/71910/2017/0...n-petr-mrazek/
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Detroit puts him on waivers, I think some other team is going to give him a chance at the NHL level. I still think they'll trade Mrazek to avoid putting Coreau on waivers but who knows if they're able to trade Mrazek at this point.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I still think they'll trade Mrazek to avoid putting Coreau on waivers but who knows if they're able to trade Mrazek at this point.
    They'll get pennies on the dollar for him. Considering that Vegas passed on him and if another team was really interested, they would've made a deal with Vegas to acquire Mrazek.

As a Mrazek owner myself, I'm really hoping he gets moved to a better team even if it means becoming a back-up for now. The goalie carousel seems to have stopped for the offseason though (Mason, Elliot, etc).
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    They'll get pennies on the dollar for him. Considering that Vegas passed on him and if another team was really interested, they would've made a deal with Vegas to acquire Mrazek.

As a Mrazek owner myself, I'm really hoping he gets moved to a better team even if it means becoming a back-up for now. The goalie carousel seems to have stopped for the offseason though (Mason, Elliot, etc).
    I'm actually starting to think they may need to eat some of his salary or give a draft pick or prospect to get rid of him... As you said, Vegas passing on him is very telling that no team in the league showed any interest in him, otherwise they would have taken him and flipped him somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by LookoutBergman View Post
    Took a gamble and acquired Coreau in my dynasty league (in signature). Price was pretty cheap so thought I would bite. Long Term - does he have any shot of being the future in Detroit? Short Term - do you think he'll make some appearances next year? Maybe challenge Mrazek a bit?
    For what it's worth Dobber Prospects don't seem that high on him: http://www.dobberprospects.com/jared-coreau/

And the Dobber Prospects Report lists his upside as "NHL Backup"

Obviously take everything with a grain of salt, because goalies are so unpredictable. The two sources above just give you a better idea of his pedigree compared to other prospects.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think he becomes much more than a backup myself, but that being said, a backup can become a starter just as quick as an injury occurs. See Peter Budaj as an example of a guy who actually because a viable fantasy asset last year. It's always a long shot when you hold a backup with the hopes of becoming a starter, but I think Coreau is worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. It's pretty sad when we are considering him over Mrazek but that just goes to show how low Mrazek's value has fallen.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I wonder what teams Coreau would fit on if he was claimed in waivers?
    LookoutBergman 20-Team 32-man (+10 Farm) Dynasty: G,A,Pt,+/-,GWG,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blks,FOW

C: Hischier, Spezza, Shipachyov, Dvorak, D Strome
    LW: Meier, Labanc, Connor, Boedker
    RW: Oshie, Puljujarvi, Boeser, Prince, Stafford
    D: Ekblad, Matheson, Honka, Ceci, Oduya, Polak, Irwin
    G: Quick, Darling, Coreau
    F: Glass, Pettersson, Kaprizov, Gusev, Walman

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LookoutBergman View Post
    I wonder what teams Coreau would fit on if he was claimed in waivers?
    At least San Jose comes to mind - I'm not sure how much they trust Dell.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    At least San Jose comes to mind - I'm not sure how much they trust Dell.
    They probably trust him quite a bit seeing as he led the NHL in both GAA and SV% for goalies with more than 10 games played. San Jose would not be a place of interest for Coreau since they have Jones, Dell and Grosenick (who had better AHL numbers than Coreau last year and signed a 2 year extension this summer).

Teams where Coreau would be a better fit are

Minnesota Wild - Coreau is a similar goalie to Dubnyk
    Edmonton Oilers - I don't think Brossoit is an NHL calibre goalie

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    They probably trust him quite a bit seeing as he led the NHL in both GAA and SV% for goalies with more than 10 games played. San Jose would not be a place of interest for Coreau since they have Jones, Dell and Grosenick (who had better AHL numbers than Coreau last year and signed a 2 year extension this summer).

Teams where Coreau would be a better fit are

Minnesota Wild - Coreau is a similar goalie to Dubnyk
    Edmonton Oilers - I don't think Brossoit is an NHL calibre goalie
    Giving your backup only 20 games doesn't scream "trust" to me in today's league where backups regularly play 30 games per season even when the starter is completely healthy all season long. I have no idea how much they actually trust him but that low GP number always worries me.