Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the cost of Sidney?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default What is the cost of Sidney?

Having a debate with a friend on what is "enough" for Sid.

I had put him on the block in the league in my signature, with the best offer being Seguin + Nylander and I thought about it but in the end did not pull the trigger. My ask to anyone that has inquired is a top 15 player, a top 50 player (both of which need to be younger than 27) and a high-mid 1st round pick. So in essence, if the GM had added a 1st to that offer I would have seriously had to consider it (And the talks aren't totally dead on that front). Although this is totally unrelated to the actual question lol

Back on track to the question though, a friend of mine and I were discussing the value of Sid in fantasy hockey over a few beers yesterday and we could not agree on what is fair - obviously league categories and sizes play into it and where the teams involved are in the standings. Most of the leagues I play are fairly standard, G/A/PTS/PPP/SOG/HIT/FOW being the prominent stats, all of them have about 20 player starting lineups and differentiate based on position.

What you you ask for Sid or what would you be willing to pay for Sid?

Pretty general question, not really related to any particular league so use any assumptions you want. Just want to see how much it would take for you individually to consider moving him.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: What is the cost of Sidney?

I traded Sid in a league earlier this summer for Stamkos and Werenski. It was a partial keeper league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I actually think his value is very close to what you (FF) think. That's what would be needed for me to think about it. Glad you posted because I wad asking myself the same question.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Dynasty, I traded Sid, Zetterberg & Boychuck -- I got -- Trouba, Werenski, Vatrano, Horvat, McCarron, '18 & '19 1sts, '17 & '18 2nds.

Crosby was the only star on my team. My team was baron, D in shambles, I needed to stock. Not a traditional high return for Sid, but at the time it's what I needed.

Vatrano was then flipped for Gurianov & Max Jones (same owner)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Holy smokes, I must be OVER valuing him. I would not move him for anything less than TWO studs, especially in a partial keeper. Seguin and Nylander + 1st is a good start but I would prefer something like Seguin and Panarin/RyJo/Forsberg/... + a pick or 2 (could be a 2nd and a 3rd if the first is closer to 1st overall).

I get that the price seems high, but so is the return! If you aren't forced to move Sid, why would you sell him at par, let alone under sell him!?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Holy smokes, I must be OVER valuing him. I would not move him for anything less than TWO studs, especially in a partial keeper. Seguin and Nylander + 1st is a good start but I would prefer something like Seguin and Panarin/RyJo/Forsberg/... + a pick or 2 (could be a 2nd and a 3rd if the first is closer to 1st overall).

I get that the price seems high, but so is the return! If you aren't forced to move Sid, why would you sell him at par, let alone under sell him!?
    for me... its a multi-cat league, with FO% I locked up my D with two perennial 45+pt Dmen.. and added Horvat who I'm huge on and believe he's got a couple more steps to go. with the lack of everything on my roster, this was a sum of all parts did in fact improve my team.. and did so immediately. I went .500 down the stretch vs. .300 in the H2H league.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    for me... its a multi-cat league, with FO% I locked up my D with two perennial 45+pt Dmen.. and added Horvat who I'm huge on and believe he's got a couple more steps to go. with the lack of everything on my roster, this was a sum of all parts did in fact improve my team.. and did so immediately. I went .500 down the stretch vs. .300 in the H2H league.
    Don't get me wrong, on paper it's easier to evaluate player A vs player B and C but depending on the different league contexts, what seems normal in one scenario may not be the case in another.

Hehe, FWIW, I would have probably gone crazy if I had to give up Crosby to restructure my team!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Sid just got moved in my points only partial keeper (9 teams, keep 4F, 2D, 1G. Roster is 10F, 6D, 2G). GM was getting anxious to go younger, and to be fair he has a very strong young core of 4 keeper F's now in Kuch, Drai, Scheif, Laine

His return was Laine + a first round pick this year (effectively a pick in round 8 (around 64th overall) after you subtract keepers) + 2nd round pick next year.

I feel like he almost got too much for Sid. I realize Sid's strength, but having a young player like Laine for the next 10+ years is worth a lot as Sid gets old and has small trade value in a partial keeper. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, on paper it's easier to evaluate player A vs player B and C but depending on the different league contexts, what seems normal in one scenario may not be the case in another.

Hehe, FWIW, I would have probably gone crazy if I had to give up Crosby to restructure my team!
    I did... in most scenarios, what you're asking for is the normal expected return. And should be. If you don't have to sell, then you can set your price and hold until it is met.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think trading Crosby has changed in fantasy.

I think Sid likes winning - and to do more of that, he has developed himself into an all-around force. It wouldn't surprise me if he fails to hit 90 points again but wins another cup or two.

If that's the case, his fantasy value changes. If you value predictability like me, I value him as the 2nd best fantasy asset because he's a LOCK to hit between 80 and 90 points each year for the next 5-7 years. No one other than McDavid can say that.

However, I think the offer needed to land Crosby is sliding down. Depending on the league format of course, you could make a case that he's worth 2 players at an average of 60 points - if Crosby is 85 points and the waiver wire player is 35 points. Now, you have to believe that Crosby is no longer a 100 point player to make this decision.

I don't have Crosby (wish I did) but the best value I could offer from my team would be: Mackinnon/Johansen/Barkov + JVR/Lindholm/Zibanejad
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Superstar

two young top six forwards and a relatively high draft pick.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Having a debate with a friend on what is "enough" for Sid.

I had put him on the block in the league in my signature, with the best offer being Seguin + Nylander and I thought about it but in the end did not pull the trigger. My ask to anyone that has inquired is a top 15 player, a top 50 player (both of which need to be younger than 27) and a high-mid 1st round pick. So in essence, if the GM had added a 1st to that offer I would have seriously had to consider it (And the talks aren't totally dead on that front). Although this is totally unrelated to the actual question lol

Back on track to the question though, a friend of mine and I were discussing the value of Sid in fantasy hockey over a few beers yesterday and we could not agree on what is fair - obviously league categories and sizes play into it and where the teams involved are in the standings. Most of the leagues I play are fairly standard, G/A/PTS/PPP/SOG/HIT/FOW being the prominent stats, all of them have about 20 player starting lineups and differentiate based on position.

What you you ask for Sid or what would you be willing to pay for Sid?

Pretty general question, not really related to any particular league so use any assumptions you want. Just want to see how much it would take for you individually to consider moving him.
    Usually the answer is : Do not trade Sid.

But if you have to trade him, I'd stay away from picks unless it's a top2 pick. Something like a top15 player + a top25 + top75 is fair. The way I see it is that you are in a position of power when you have Crosby. There's no point in trading him unless someone makes it worth your while.

Again, this depends on your set-up. In a keep10(or less) league, the only way I'm trading Sid is if I get to upgrade my keepers significantly. I saw a post here that someone traded Sid for Stamkos + Werenski. For me (depending on who he'd have to drop to make space for the extra player) it's not enough. Especially that Stamkos's value is really low right now because of his injury and Werenski seems like a huge sell high.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Dynasty, I traded Sid, Zetterberg & Boychuck -- I got -- Trouba, Werenski, Vatrano, Horvat, McCarron, '18 & '19 1sts, '17 & '18 2nds.

Crosby was the only star on my team. My team was baron, D in shambles, I needed to stock. Not a traditional high return for Sid, but at the time it's what I needed.

Vatrano was then flipped for Gurianov & Max Jones (same owner)
    I'm not sure I'd look at this deal as a model trade to make..... oof! Sorry your team got to the point where you had to make a deal like that.

As for Sid's value, I wouldn't even consider something that was any less than Seguin+Nylander. I think that's a pretty impressive starting point for negotiations to be honest.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I picked up Crosby in a trade just as the season ended. I traded away Radulov, E.Staal, Ghost, Hellebuyk and a 2nd round pick for him. It gave me space to then bring up Marner from my farm and not drop Fabbri, who was on the IR most of the season.
    Yahoo: H2H Keeper (6F,3D,1G)
    G,A,PPG,PPA,+/-,Shots,Hits, W,GAA,SAV%

FWDS: A. Barkov, M. Marner, A. Panarin, J. Robertson, N.Ehlers, J.Bratt , PL Dubois, B Hagel, D. Mercer, B.Jenner
    D: A. Ekblad, J. Klingberg, J. Trouba, , S. Gostisbehere, F. Hronek
    G: Bobrovsky, Jarry, Hart

Yahoo2: H2H Keeper(14-only, up to 2G)
    G,A,+/-, SOG, GWG,PPP,SHG,HIT,BLK,
    W,GAA,SV,SO,

FWDS: N. Mackinnon, M. Rantanen, E. Pettersson, JT Miller, A. Panarin, V. Tarasenko, T. Meier, Z. Hyman , B. Boesner, T. Toffoli, D. Perron
    D: Q. Hughes, Z. Werenski, J. Klingberg, J. Chychrun, M. Matheson
    G: Demko, Hart,, Levi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good input guys, I've Repped where I could.

The guy has upped the offer, and I'm very tempted by it. Seguin, Nylander, 9th overall thus year and next year's 1st for Sid, Eaves and a prospect to be named and a couple of late picks (5th rounders)