Thread: Prospect goalie depth entry level

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Prospect goalie depth entry level

Teams seem to starve for goalies in my keeper league but not take advantage of prospect goalies. Oettinger and Depietro are gone and coming up in the early 3rd round pick (44) who is next to take?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Prospect goalie depth entry level

It is difficult to recommend picking a goalie from the most recent NHL entry draft. 18 year old goalies are so far away from the NHL that it is seldom a good pick to make. I would look at the goalie list in Dobber's Prospect guide to see the rankings there. Also, look at the depth charts at thegoalieduild. If the teams in your league are not taking advantage of prospect goalies then it is likely that there are much older prospects who are closer to the NHL that would still be available. Some names to consider (in no particular order)

Ville Husso
    Thatcher Demko
    Anthony Stolarz

Dobber Sports Titan

Welcome to the forums!

After Oettinger and DiPietro, Lukkonnen is the next name on the list, and I think he ends the top tier of goalies in this draft.

If other prospect goalies are available, then go with the ones closer to the show. In addition to Chuckcouples' 3, I'll add a list for you to watch:
    Parsons, Jarry, Woll, McNiven, Gillies, Gustavsson, Sorokin, Ullmark, Shesterkin, Samsonov, Fitzpatrick, Gudlevskis, Husso, Hart, etc.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've tried to find goaltending through holding goalie prospects, and man it is not easy! Like chuckcouples said, you should put a lot of weight on closeness to the NHL. If you grab some of the goalies from this past draft, you'll be waiting literally 3-6 years just to hear their names again, and there will be another transition period as they rack up 5, 10, 25 game NHL seasons in succession. You'll have a hard time knowing how valuable the guys you're holding really are.

A good approach would be to diversify with 2 or 3 prospects that have a good combination of talent, time to NHL, and opportunity. Then either tough it out through the few seasons as they break in, or use their value that has grown as part of a package to get an NHL starter.

Dobber Sports Ace

Dobber's Prospect Report is a good resource for this. Look at the goalies listed - they're selected for their fantasy relevance, which includes estimated of arrival.

I wouldn't draft any goalie in their draft year. But rather look and see what cream is rising to top - draft or trade for the cream on its way up. Otherwise, it's a shot in the dark.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

After Oettinger and DiPietro, Lukkonnen is the next name on the list, and I think he ends the top tier of goalies in this draft.

If other prospect goalies are available, then go with the ones closer to the show. In addition to Chuckcouples' 3, I'll add a list for you to watch:
    Parsons, Jarry, Woll, McNiven, Gillies, Gustavsson, Sorokin, Ullmark, Shesterkin, Samsonov, Fitzpatrick, Gudlevskis, Husso, Hart, etc.
    I'd add Soderstrom to that list.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I'd add Soderstrom to that list.
    Yeah, I wasn't going to hit all of them, otherwise where do you stop? Nedeljkovic could easily be added too, and it snowballs from there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Anyone have any thoughts on Vladar?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on Vladar?
    Potential star goalie, according to Dobber Prospects: http://www.dobberprospects.com/daniel-vladar/

But he's only 19 so there's a lot of development before he sees any time in the show. He's the only junior goalie on a team I've just inherited so I'll be curious to see how it goes.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry