Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: July Prospect Rankings -- Good Sleepers

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: July Prospect Rankings -- Good Sleepers

Nikita Gusev not in the top10 is ridiculous if you ask me. Russian factor or not. 1.25 pts/game in the KHL is just freaking insane. Yes SKA was loaded this year but he's 5 years younger than Shipachyov and had pretty much the same results.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Nikita Gusev not in the top10 is ridiculous if you ask me. Russian factor or not. 1.25 pts/game in the KHL is just freaking insane. Yes SKA was loaded this year but he's 5 years younger than Shipachyov and had pretty much the same results.
    Is 'How close are they to playing in the NHL' factored into the rankings?

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandals View Post
    Is 'How close are they to playing in the NHL' factored into the rankings?
    I don't know but Kaprizov just re-upped for 3 years in the KHL. The Wild have never actaully met in person and he's ranked 14th.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't know but Kaprizov just re-upped for 3 years in the KHL. The Wild have never actaully met in person and he's ranked 14th.
    Well there goes that theory then. No idea what's going on with Gusev in that case.

Dobber Sports Monster

Well there goes that theory then. No idea what's going on with Gusev in that case.
    if he doesn't want to sign with Vegas he might wait to come to the nhl until he is 28, then he can re up with any team in the league and not sign an entry deal. might make more sense for him if he wants to stay home a little longer and make good money

Dobber Sports Guru

Is this true? Source?
    I hadn't heard this about Kaprisov.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber Sports Wizard

Gusev isn't a top-10 talent. He might be a 55 point player in the NHL if he ever gets there. He's 25 already so unlikely to continue developing much anymore, and he benefited a lot that he got to play on a line with Shipachyov who was the main reason why that line was so successful.

Besides, Shipachyov had 1.52 PPG while Gusev had 1.25. I wouldn't say "pretty much the same results", that's a significant difference. Dadonov and Gusev had pretty much the same results since both benefited from playing with Shipachyov.

Dobber Sports Icon

You may want to read the article before using it to support an argument. Information in the linked article says that no new contract has been confirmed. There is also a quote from Kaprizov saying that he has time to think his options over.

Dobber Sports Star

Kyle Wood

Surprised how low he is ranked given that he tore up the AHL in his rookie season and there is a hole on a weak right side in Arizona. 14 goals (11 on the PP) and 39 points is solid and he has a bomb of a shot. With only Clendenning in his way as 3rd pair RD he has a chance to stick. If he does, I am sure they will find a way to utilize his rocket from the point.

Always like a new coaching situation to throw some variance into things and who knows, he might thrive in Tocchet's system.

Bit of a dark horse, but the opportunity is there. See below for a decent article on Arizona's top 4 prospects, which highlights Wood:

http://thehockeywriters.com/coyotes-...rospects-2017/
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Not sure why Weal is still so far down the list.
    Agreed: The only thing is due to his late surge, combined with the surprising media coverage his contract got, he may not be a complete sleeper.

Although he wasn't called up until late in the year, he looked great as a middle 6er with Philly (11P in 16GP).

He scored as well as any other Flyer in the final month, all while averaging under 15 mins a game and getting next-to-no PP time.

Given a shot to start as a middle 6er, Weal has great potential in 2017-2018, may even as high as the 40-50 pt range if a few things go his way.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Kirill did tell a Russian source he has time to think it over, it's not final, which counts for something. The fact the Wild has never met him isn't entirely by choice: apparently Team Russia was under strict instructions from the KHL to not let the Wild get near him during the WJCs, so they had to settle for his girlfriend and agent.

It's the money side that's working against the Wild: his ELC would max him out around $1.3M for 3 years, while the KHL could pay him whatever. I know he's now part of the big-3 KHL clubs who have money, I can't help but think that the continuous money problems combined with the weak Ruble has to make some difference.

While it does seem possible that the 3yr contract may happen, that doesn't seal the deal. If he wants to leave, it has been theorized that the Wild could buy out his contract, since there's no agreement between the 2 leagues, but this does seem a little farfetched as it could be pricey.

Dont give up on Kaprizov: he may take a while to get here, but the lack of agreement with the KHL has an upside, as the Wild own his rights indefinitely as of right now. Besides, an experienced 23-year old star still has lots of time to shine in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Kyle Wood

Surprised how low he is ranked given that he tore up the AHL in his rookie season and there is a hole on a weak right side in Arizona. 14 goals (11 on the PP) and 39 points is solid and he has a bomb of a shot. With only Clendenning in his way as 3rd pair RD he has a chance to stick. If he does, I am sure they will find a way to utilize his rocket from the point.

Always like a new coaching situation to throw some variance into things and who knows, he might thrive in Tocchet's system.

Bit of a dark horse, but the opportunity is there. See below for a decent article on Arizona's top 4 prospects, which highlights Wood:

http://thehockeywriters.com/coyotes-...rospects-2017/
    I've been high on this guy since October of last year. His point production in the A was pretty impressive, PP or not. His skating needs to improve and I would imagine that will be what keeps him back from significant NHL time this year, if at all.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher11 View Post
    Kirill did tell a Russian source he has time to think it over, it's not final, which counts for something. The fact the Wild has never met him isn't entirely by choice: apparently Team Russia was under strict instructions from the KHL to not let the Wild get near him during the WJCs, so they had to settle for his girlfriend and agent.

It's the money side that's working against the Wild: his ELC would max him out around $1.3M for 3 years, while the KHL could pay him whatever. I know he's now part of the big-3 KHL clubs who have money, I can't help but think that the continuous money problems combined with the weak Ruble has to make some difference.

While it does seem possible that the 3yr contract may happen, that doesn't seal the deal. If he wants to leave, it has been theorized that the Wild could buy out his contract, since there's no agreement between the 2 leagues, but this does seem a little farfetched as it could be pricey.

Dont give up on Kaprizov: he may take a while to get here, but the lack of agreement with the KHL has an upside, as the Wild own his rights indefinitely as of right now. Besides, an experienced 23-year old star still has lots of time to shine in the NHL.
    NHL teams cannot buy out players from their KHL contracts, that would be salary cap circumvention. The player has to buy out the contract himself which is really expensive for him if the NHL team can only offer an ELC which is why we don't usually see any young players doing that. Players aged 27 and more could buy out their KHL contract because their NHL teams can offer them more money as they're not restricted to ELC anymore.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

That makes more sense then:

I heard this idea thrown around in the Minnesota media, based upon how an NHL club bought out a prospect who was under contract in a non-traditional European hockey market (Spain I think) a while back, but I didn't recognize the name of the player. They made it sound like this was a legally grey area which could potentially be exploited, since Kaprizov wasn't under any form of contract in the NHL yet.

If if it was in fact the player and not the club in Spain(?), I'm sure he was making next to nothing on his contract, whereas Kaprizov, if he does indeed extend, will make more than an NHL ELC for sure.

I am am curious as to what people think the KHL would offer Kaprizov for AAV though.

For all those Kaprizov owners, at least Kaprizov didn't seem eager in his interviews to say anything definitively yet.