Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Forest fires surrounding my town

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Forest fires surrounding my town

This is really getting insane. I live in BC and this is heartbreaking to see happening to the people and the land that is my home. Feels pretty helpless. Imagine the poor wildlife too...just unreal.

Also infinite respect and thanks to the people on the front lines trying to contain this. There's a good chance one of our own is in there (no idea if he is, but Steve Laidlaw fights forest fires in the summers).

(Edit)

Here's some good info on how you can help or get help (don't send money to crowdfunding sites seems to be underlined here):

http://globalnews.ca/news/3584929/b-...-you-can-help/

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Stay safe Stuntman. We're only a few hours away in Vernon. The skies have been pretty smokey here the last few days.
    I recall being on evac alert a couple summers ago. A lot of anxiety. Fortunately never had to evacuate.
    Wishing you, family , neighbors and friends all the best. Be safe.
    33 here today, expecting 32 tomorrow with some wind.
    thanks grapes. wish i was on the bc coast where it's cool lol. the smoke has seemed to let up the past couple hours but still pretty heavy.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    This is really getting insane. I live in BC and this is heartbreaking to see happening to the people and the land that is my home. Feels pretty helpless. Imagine the poor wildlife too...just unreal.

Also infinite respect and thanks to the people on the front lines trying to contain this. There's a good chance one of our own is in there (no idea if he is, but Steve Laidlaw fights forest fires in the summers).

(Edit)

Here's some good info on how you can help or get help (don't send money to crowdfunding sites seems to be underlined here):

maybe he is fighting this fire or the one near cache creek. i wonder if they fight the fire at night time or wonder if its too dangerous to water bomb it when its dark ..

man just went downtown and a few of the gas stations are shut down cuz they have no more gas and went to Safeway there was no cases of water, Save on Foods had one left so i took it. Everyone is loading up on water gas and other groceries

Dobber Sports Monster

now the area around the super 8 hotel is getting evacuated. thats just on the outside of town now. getting close it sounds. geez

Dobber Sports Monster

WIN_20170709_08_59_29_Pro.jpg

took this picture outside our hospital. all the patients here and one of the local seniors homes are all evacuated. i see lots of people went north because the smoke is too much to handle. just read the newspaper is saying we are getting fire fighters from vancouver as well.

https://www.facebook.com/birthingdiv...1297643742782/

this is video about 80 km west of williams lake. apparently this fire is threatening some homes right now.

this is a picture of highway 97 . this is what youre looking at if youre fleeing williams lake

fire97.png

Dobber Sports Pro

The best way to help is to donate money to the Red Cross. They have the infrastructure and volunteers (although hard to get them mobilized sometimes) that can deliver aid where and when required. Donating to one credible agency is more efficient. Money is best because items need to be sorted, handled and transported which uses valuable volunteer resources, and the items donated are not necessarily what is needed at a given time.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    The best way to help is to donate money to the Red Cross. They have the infrastructure and volunteers (although hard to get them mobilized sometimes) that can deliver aid where and when required. Donating to one credible agency is more efficient. Money is best because items need to be sorted, handled and transported which uses valuable volunteer resources, and the items donated are not necessarily what is needed at a given time.
    Thanks SD - it's doesn't take long, I'm sure even small amounts are appreciated:

http://www.redcross.ca/

Dobber Sports Monster

I am from a reserve about 90 km west of williams lake (900 or so people live there) and they're getting evacuated because of a fire out there. And my nephew got evacuated from the hotel he was staying at in williams lake here and was crying when he called us. They were staying there because of the evacuation at Sugarcane reserve. Geez this is terrible

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks SD - it's doesn't take long, I'm sure even small amounts are appreciated:

http://www.redcross.ca/
    Good idea - I should have posted the link.

Dobber Sports Monster

closest evacuation order to me is only a few km away. but i see the fire in 100 mile house (about an hours drive from williams lake) has ordered an evacuation of the whole city. Approx 2000 residents.

might be leaving my town tomorrow morning

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    closest evacuation order to me is only a few km away. but i see the fire in 100 mile house (about an hours drive from williams lake) has ordered an evacuation of the whole city. Approx 2000 residents.

might be leaving my town tomorrow morning
    Wow SM, I just read through this entire thread and I'm shocked to hear the extent of this from your on-site perspective! Didn't know it was this bad as I've been in the states for the past 10 days and just got back.

Stay strong buddy, hopefully they will be able to stabilize things soon!

Be safe and keep us posted!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Wow SM, I just read through this entire thread and I'm shocked to hear the extent of this from your on-site perspective! Didn't know it was this bad as I've been in the states for the past 10 days and just got back.

Stay strong buddy, hopefully they will be able to stabilize things soon!

Be safe and keep us posted!
    thanks bass. im glued to a computer (as always lol) looking for updates on fb. every day is the same now, people posting false information, people arguing on williams lake social media sites, people overreacting, people downplaying this whole situation. been trying to stay calm throughout all of this and am ready if i have to leave on a moments notice.

Dobber Sports Monster

found this picture on the williams lake fire

fire100.png

Dobber Sports Master

Whoa Stuntman! I am just catching up with this thread now. Scary stuff. All is takes is a wind shift and things change quickly. Stay alert mate. Must be incredibly stressful.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Whoa Stuntman! I am just catching up with this thread now. Scary stuff. All is takes is a wind shift and things change quickly. Stay alert mate. Must be incredibly stressful.
    yeah sure is stressful. got people i know arguing with eachother over when or where to evacuate. there are elderly people i know that dont want to leave and the smoke is very thick and terrible for people with breathing problems. to top that off the reservation i come from 80 km west of williams lake is all evacuated too. then in 100 mile they all got evacuated and my brother is staying about 30 km away from there and the highway back to williams lake is closed there so am stressing about that too. see what today brings.

tim hortons is still open, if i can find a positive out of all this lol