Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Forest fires surrounding my town

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Forest fires surrounding my town

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Sounds like 100 Mile House might be able to go back home in a few days. Williams Lake might be a little while yet. I know where I live the fire is still not too far from there, still about a KM away so I doubt I can go back right away. There was heavy rain yesterday which helped things a bit. I was just reading that one home owner who stayed behind threatened some fire fighters who were conducting back burns near his yard. Tensions running pretty high to say the least. Other than that there isn't much else new but hoping Williams Lake can go back by mid next week but I guess all that depends on the weather and how much % each fire is contained.
    Glad to hear that there was a heavy rain and that some people are getting to go home. Hopefully you are able to go home soon... but definitely do not rush home...wait until it is 100% safe!

Dobber Sports Master

A good soaking for a few days would be great for you guys. I hope all goes well Stuntman. How's all your family? All in a safe zone I hope.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Glad to hear that there was a heavy rain and that some people are getting to go home. Hopefully you are able to go home soon... but definitely do not rush home...wait until it is 100% safe!
    The mayor said essential services (hospital, grocery stores) may be back up and running this Monday which is fantastic news. And they are aiming for sometime after that to have everyone back home BUT it all depends on the weather this weekend and how the fires react.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    A good soaking for a few days would be great for you guys. I hope all goes well Stuntman. How's all your family? All in a safe zone I hope.
    Everyone is good. I have family up north and people are getting lots of vouchers for food and clothes. I'm near 100 mile in a small community so its quiet here. Thanks everyone for checking in on me and making sure things are ok. Appreciate it!

Dobber Sports Monster

they mayor is suppose to make an announcement at noon, so in about 40 minutes. one of our city councillers said that they have great news and welcome home everyone. yes

Dobber Sports Master

Great news mate! I hope the damage int he town was minimal or even non-existent.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Hope that you and the rest of the community can stay positive through the transition back into community and work together to get things back to how they were before.

Dobber Sports Monster

Great news mate! I hope the damage int he town was minimal or even non-existent.
    the fires never reached town but on the out lining parts of town there were several houses lost, not quite sure the number but the fire was about half a kilometre from my place. i'm still under evacuation order where i'm at but everyone living within city limits are allowed to go back home. am constantly looking for updates when i'll be allowed back home. want to get back on the treadmill....feel guilty for not walking on it lol

when we first got evacuated it was the White Lake fire that was barreling towards town and towards 4 of our mills in town and my place was in direct path as well. people keep saying that they don't realize how lucky the town is for this fire to not have reached town because at one point it was travelling at 4km an hour and was lucky the wind died down when it did.

The day we were ordered to leave, earlier on that day my brother in law was out fighting fire and heard over the radio (guy in helicopter) telling a guy on a bulldozer that they might be pulling out soon because the fires are getting out of control, then soon enough they heard "abandon your machine and RUN". They had helicopter over the bulldozers telling them where the fires were and where to knock down trees. Here the crappy thing was, before the 15th Evacuation they were getting the upper hand on all the fires then on the 15th the wind picked up big time and was hot out and all the containment went right out the window and they were all listed as full blown wildfires again.

I do see alot of people arguing back and forth on social media about going back to town or not, some are saying they spoke to people at the fire center and they are saying the politicians were advised not to lift the evac order as of yet but did anyhow. My brother in law who is helping fighting the fires doesn't believe they lifted the order this soon but all I do know is I have to wait for my area to be lifted from an order to alert. We will see how this all plays out though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have friends in Kamloops. The Ashcroft/Elephant Hill fire there is covering that city with smoke.

Air Quality Health Index - What's the Air Like Today?

Find the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) values to help you understand what the air quality around you means to your health.
    AQHI Scale - Learn more about AQHI Categories and Explanations

Kamloops Air Quality index reading right now is 47 on that scale.

Williams lake is showing at 19... perhaps Stuntman can put 19/10 in perspective to get some form of idea what 47 would be.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairqu...aqhi-table.xml
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I have friends in Kamloops. The Ashcroft/Elephant Hill fire there is covering that city with smoke.

Air Quality Health Index - What's the Air Like Today?

Find the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) values to help you understand what the air quality around you means to your health.
    AQHI Scale - Learn more about AQHI Categories and Explanations

Kamloops Air Quality index reading right now is 47 on that scale.

Williams lake is showing at 19... perhaps Stuntman can put 19/10 in perspective to get some form of idea what 47 would be.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairqu...aqhi-table.xml
    funny thing i was just looking at the air quality readings just before i seen this. weird thing it's very smoky here, thought the rating would be a lot higher than it is. people are worried that we might get evacuated again soon. But here is one picture someone took in williams lake earlier today so you guys can get some perspective.

This is at Tim Hortons a couple hours ago looking west towards the mountains

fireaugust3.png

This is what Tim Hortons normally looks like, looking south. There is that mountain you can usually see very cleary, cant see it now.

ls.jpg

Dobber Sports Jedi

funny thing i was just looking at the air quality readings just before i seen this. weird thing it's very smoky here, thought the rating would be a lot higher than it is. people are worried that we might get evacuated again soon. But here is one picture someone took in williams lake earlier today so you guys can get some perspective.

This is at Tim Hortons a couple hours ago looking west towards the mountains

fireaugust3.png

This is what Tim Hortons normally looks like, looking south. There is that mountain you can usually see very cleary, cant see it now.

ls.jpg
    man.. this is just stupid...

Dobber Sports Icon

Wow that is crazy SM - there's still haze in Vancouver, but it's not enough to obscure your view of anything. Very noticeable though.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Wow that is crazy SM - there's still haze in Vancouver, but it's not enough to obscure your view of anything. Very noticeable though.
    that's from the 95 000 hectare fire outside Kamloops in Ashcroft.

Dobber Sports Monster

Fire near my place is now 40% contained. Still evacuated from my place, today marks 3 weeks that i havent been home and now people aren't allowed to drive off road vehicles anymore and last night some guy was "celebrating" the evacuation of his part of town being over and was letting off some fireworks .... un-real then was fined something over $1000 dollars. This evacuation is driving me nuts lol ... oh well , im concentrating more on fantasy hockey. I've added looking into analytics, line combos, CREATING Line-Combination lists now lol....going to be no more stones to turn over before the season starts. I should look into stuff like 5 on 5 shooting percentages too, corsi fenwick you name it

Dobber Sports Master

Fire near my place is now 40% contained. Still evacuated from my place, today marks 3 weeks that i havent been home and now people aren't allowed to drive off road vehicles anymore and last night some guy was "celebrating" the evacuation of his part of town being over and was letting off some fireworks .... un-real then was fined something over $1000 dollars. This evacuation is driving me nuts lol ... t
    Here's me reading your post:

Dobber Sports Monster

Here's me reading your post:

yep, good thing they caught him. its stupidity like this that could burn down the whole town with how dry it is out here. I'm holding my breathe until the end of August then it gets cool and rains more. Was thinking of going to kamloops today for a trip but it was 38 degrees no thank you ... go on a trip in september when this evacuation is over and can relax