Poll: I drive a....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dobberville's Car, Truck, Motorcycle and whatever else you drive thread.

The Great One

Default Re: Dobberville's Car, Truck, Motorcycle and whatever else you drive thread.

I have a 2004 PX Vespa with about 22,000 kms on it. Rebuilt engine at around 18,000.

I also have a 2002 Cavalier that Im running to the ground. That has about 150k on it.

Will be looking for a truck when the Cavalier goes......Living downtown Toronto I do 90% of my commuting on foot.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Dobberville's Car, Truck, Motorcycle and whatever else you drive thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post

Will be looking for a truck .....Living downtown Toronto I do 90% of my commuting on foot.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Currently in a 2007 Infiniti G35x that I bought new. Sadly, I've re-entered the market in the last few weeks looking to update given its advancing age, mileage and hard miles at that (a fair amount of highway miles to be sure, but lots of chugging around NYC too). I'm undecided yet on the direction I'll head for the next car, but probably will end up doing a certified pre-owned something to save a few bucks but still get a nice warranty.

Insofar as the G35x is concerned, I wish it wasn't time to part ways. Absolutely love it. Biggest drawback is pretty weak gas mileage (coupled with calling for premium fuel). But man is it fun to drive. Like a perfect blend of everything in its class at the time I bought it -- and I test drove EVERYTHING.

--A bit over 300 HP.
    --Great torque ratio (at least that's what i think it's called); no matter what speed you're going or gear you're in, the thing just springs to life and wants to get up and run as soon as you hit the accelerator.
    --Smooth, quiet ride with a great purr from the engine audible in the passenger cabin when you step into it.
    --Handles well.
    --Slightly larger overall and roomier cabin than the comparable offerings from BMW, Lexus, Acura, Vovlo, etc. (many of which I found to be quite cramped).
    --Nicely appointed interior (leather, wood accents, power everything, touch screen LCD NAV -- can't remember if any other vehicles in the class had the touch screen back then, but it was a fairly mind blowing feature at the time recalling that the iPhone wasn't even released until almost a year after the 2007 model year vehicles and the iPad almost 4 years later).
    --10 speaker Bose sound system, including a rear deck mounted sub.
    --An absolute tank in the snow, helped along by the all-wheel drive.

I'm by no means a car guy or gear head, so there are definitely sportier things out there that probably wouldn't suit my taste. But for someone like me who wanted a bit of performance with a bit of luxury, I found it to be just a great car that I've really enjoyed driving for the past 10 years.

Fun thread!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Planning on leaving the GTA within a year

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Planning on leaving the GTA within a year
    With the amount of F-150s, and Rams on the road right now (had massive sales and lease deals within 2yrs), you could get a used truck for a solid price i think in a yr. I was constantly looking the last 2yrs for a good deal, saw one and jumped all over it, but turns out that's what the norm is now and it's actually leveled off a ton for these trucks.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    With the amount of F-150s, and Rams on the road right now (had massive sales and lease deals within 2yrs), you could get a used truck for a solid price i think in a yr. I was constantly looking the last 2yrs for a good deal, saw one and jumped all over it, but turns out that's what the norm is now and it's actually leveled off a ton for these trucks.
    Nice to know.

Hopefully the timing works out then.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I just went to Cleveland in my truck and it only cost my like $90cad in gas round trip thanks to america having cheap gas, and all highway driving. It was ridiculous, I thought I did the math wrong at first.

I asked my friend who was the other driver (Hyundai Tuscon) and he said he did about $80cad in gas on the trip. Couldn't believe the slight difference (like $10 over 850km in driving....). The newer (mines a 2014) trucks are great on gas on the highway! Well not great, but not horrible! My 2010 Malibu would have likely been the same.
    Thanks for sharing! I always smile when people assume that a V-8 gets worse mileage than a 4 cyl. It depends on where you're driving them. On the highway, those big ol' V-8's are generally chugging along (depending on how they're geared), often under 2,000 rpm, while the 4 banger is over 3,000 rpm. Try that for an extended period of highway driving, and bang, the V-8 is just as economical as a 4 cyl. I learned this first hand in Germany when I transitioned from my Mustang GT (V-8) to my MR2 Turbo (4 cyl). The MR2 was a horrible gas pig at 175 km/hr and higher, I could swear that I saw the gas gauge moving! I'm lucky to not drive enough to worry about gas mileage.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it's unwise to spend more than 10% of your net worth on a vehicle, so I currently drive a 1999 P.O.S with no plans to change that any time soon.

It's served me well for quite a few years, and when it dies I will replace it with a somewhat newer, boring vehicle. Probably an older Japanese hatchback of some kind. Something cheap and reliable.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it's unwise to spend more than 10% of your net worth on a vehicle, so I currently drive a 1999 P.O.S with no plans to change that any time soon.

It's served me well for quite a few years, and when it dies I will replace it with a somewhat newer, boring vehicle. Probably an older Japanese hatchback of some kind. Something cheap and reliable.
    This is so smart. I wish I could do this, but I just can't!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    This is so smart. I wish I could do this, but I just can't!
    Some people are really into cars, so driving beaters isn't for everyone. BUT, I wish everyone would consider the ramifications of buying these expensive beasts and make sure they're doing it for the right reasons. I'd rather work less and drive a shitty car, but if you're the opposite there's nothing wrong with that.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks for sharing! I always smile when people assume that a V-8 gets worse mileage than a 4 cyl. It depends on where you're driving them. On the highway, those big ol' V-8's are generally chugging along (depending on how they're geared), often under 2,000 rpm, while the 4 banger is over 3,000 rpm. Try that for an extended period of highway driving, and bang, the V-8 is just as economical as a 4 cyl. I learned this first hand in Germany when I transitioned from my Mustang GT (V-8) to my MR2 Turbo (4 cyl). The MR2 was a horrible gas pig at 175 km/hr and higher, I could swear that I saw the gas gauge moving! I'm lucky to not drive enough to worry about gas mileage.
    Agree. With my V8 Silverado I went from London Ontario to Brockville Ontario on a full tank. Yup right around 2000 rpm ~115-125 km/hr. BUT, had a little tailwind to help and light load - just me. My 1.6 veloster is however better. I can put a work week's worth of travel on one tank which I couldn't do with the truck. ~560km regular driving on one tank. ~6.7L/100km on highways at ~2300-2400 rpm. The truck was paid for however, this car is not. So what i save on gas, goes into my $200+ per month payments.

Going to get a truck again down the road. Miss it dearly. Not looking fwd to winter driving.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    2005 chev colorado
    Me too, always handy to have a truck. Wife drives 2015 Equinox- no complaints.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Master

2016 Black on black Dodge Ram 1500. I've had a Ram for the past few years now, and they've been great, although this newest one, albeit sporty and cool to drive, has had some minor issues and blew a belt last week. All under warranty of course but frustrating when you are on vacation.
    The best thing about it is the great gas mileage it gets. Compared to every other truck I've ever had, this one uses the least (although the "vroom" factor goes away with it).

My wife just got a Hyundai Elantra. And while it is nice to drive, it isn't my truck.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

When possible my truck cuts 4 cylinders off too, so cruising you’re actually a big V4! I was actually running like 1,400rpm too most of the way (thank you 8-speed!). The Malibu was a 2.4L I4 I think and going 120kmh you were around like 2,600rpm (when in the overdrive gear). Thing wasn’t great on the highway especially if you had 4 grown men and stuff in it trying to pass or go up a hill, thing dropped down to gear 2 pretty quickly.

My parents 2017 Escape (I4 turbo) got just under what I got on highway trips to the cottage, but with cottage traffic there’s stopping and starting. And if you stop for a bit in the new Escape the engine shuts off to save gas. I go up to the cottage on the August long weekend so we’ll see the difference in mileage. My guess is the 600-650km cottage trip will equal the 850km Cleveland trip.

Dobber Sports Titan

Has anyone installed a cat-back exhaust on their own here? Just thinking of the time needed to put this in and the ease of it.