Thread: Mike Smith for staal and Pickard?

The Great One

Default Mike Smith for staal and Pickard?

Team and league in sig.

I need help up front after trading toffoli and im halfway hoping pickard has starter potential down the line.

I just made a pretty brutal trade so I wan5 to get this one right

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Mike Smith for staal and Pickard?

You're trading a 35 yr old starter for a young goalie and a decent centre. Depending on how badly the other guy needs a goalie though you may be able to get a little more.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I'm asking for Stastny too - basically for free or a very low quality asset. At 7 million and a low sog/low pim player he's almost worthless but I'm shallow upfront and have a ton of cap to spend. He could always just be demoted next year if I need the cap. So that's the initial ask waiting to hear baxk

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sure I'd do this if I was competing this year. I'm not sold on Pickard now or long term, to me he's a throw in. It's essentially Staal for Smith.

Staal had an excellent year last year, but it was his first fantasy relevant season since 2013. He also shot 3 points higher than his career average and was the second highest shot% of his career. Lots of red flags there pointing to regression.

Smith is an average goalie who has found himself in a good situation this year. I'm not sure about your league, but most of mine starting goalies are freaking expensive. Although he's 35, he's an OK goalie, in a good spot, with an excellent off night schedule - so a perfect #3.

If I were competing, I'd hang onto Smith. If I wasn't competing, I'd want a younger asset than Staal. I personally don't think he tops 55 this year.

The Great One

Pickard is a back up on what will be a poor team - what's the set up that starters have such low value?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Monster

hang onto smith he should have a decent year

The Great One

What about byfuglien and Pickard for my smith, a 3rd in 18 aND a 3rd in 19?? The picks are all entry draft. I'd take on salary but could afford it. Team and league in sig...

Dobber Sports Veteran

That's a way better deal. I'd do that, Buff is a stud with those categories

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you can get Byfuglien then you do that easily. Mike Smith does not seem like the answer in Calgary and I wouldn't be shocked at all if Lack gets more starts than him by the end of the season.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandals View Post
    If you can get Byfuglien then you do that easily. Mike Smith does not seem like the answer in Calgary and I wouldn't be shocked at all if Lack gets more starts than him by the end of the season.
    I disagree myself - he's a great puck handler with probably one of the best top 4 in the entire league. I think he's quality myself but buff and Pickard makes sense for me still I think

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I guess we will see. I guess Smith has had decent numbers even on bad Arizona teams but something about him has never really sat well with me. But yes, Buff and Pickard is an easy upgrade in my mind.

Dobber Sports Ace

Do It
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 5hole View Post
    Do It
    Hey 5hole was surprised to see this thread active again. I ended up going the other way and put my money where my mouth is so to speak- lol! I ended up acquiring Lack as insurance for \gauthier (car prospect) and trading crawford instead- lol! The verdict seems to be that I got the short end of the stick nut I brought in Saaros (whom Im very high on), E Lindholm (whom Im very high on), Neal whom Im very happy with basically as a throw in) and Dano (whom I think is a great boom/bust prospect to own right now). So yea I gambled for sure- but I thought it was funny defending Smith on these forums so much and trying to ship him out- so I went the other way- lol! See how it plays out. I DO think now is the time to move Crawford- but this season will dictate if Ive gotten ahead of myself in this regard or not...