Thread: Blue Jays acquire Montero from Cubs

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Blue Jays acquire Montero from Cubs

The Toronto Blue Jays have acquired catcher Miguel Montero from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations, the club announced on Monday.
    According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Cubs will pay most of Montero's salary.

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale

The #Cubs will also pay most of Miguel Montero's salary in deal to #Bluejays
    10:31 AM - 3 Jul 2017

The Cubs designated Montero for assignment earlier Wednesday after he called out pitcher Jake Arrieta for being too slow to the plate, causing opposing runners to easily steal bases on him.
    Montero was critical of Arrieta after a game in which the Washington Nationals stole seven bases off the Cubs.
    "That's the reason they were running left and right today because they (Arrieta) were slow to the plate," Montero said. "Simple as that. It's a shame it's my fault because I didn't throw anyone out. It really sucked because the stolen bases go on me but when you really look at it the pitcher doesn't give me any time so yeah, 'Miggy can't throw anyone out' but my pitchers don't hold anyone on."
    Montero is 0-for-31 throwing out runners on the base paths this season.
    The 33-year-old catcher was in his third season with the Cubs and has appeared in 44 games in 2017, he has a .286 batting average with four homers and eight RBIs.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Blue Jays acquire Montero from Cubs

Would have to think there are more trades coming as this one is kind of a head scratcher at the moment.

Dobber Sports Titan

With Martin playing less at catcher now I think it's just a bit of low risk organizational depth. I like the move.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Not a very good teammate and a selfish guy overall. Valuable as a backup as long as he's content.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Not a very good teammate and a selfish guy overall. Valuable as a backup as long as he's content.
    Joe Smith was consulted before this and spoke highly of him.

1 frustrated comment doesn't make him Papelbon. Arrieta is slow to the plate, but Monty isn't quick on the throw. Prolly got frustrated also because Arrieta did nothing to try and keep the runner at 1st. Dude i think didn't throw the a base once when Turner was on base.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

1 frustrated comment doesn't make him Papelbon. Arrieta is slow to the plate, but Monty isn't quick on the throw. Prolly got frustrated also because Arrieta did nothing to try and keep the runner at 1st. Dude i think didn't throw the a base once when Turner was on base.
    When you complain about not playing enough AFTER you've won the World Series, I would say that is a selfish player. And he's had problems at other stops too. Look a little deeper than what happened last week.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the move and love what you guys have said so far. Lucroy just came out and backhanded his SP too....betcha he won't be cut and painted in the same light as Montero.