Thread: Gibson's performance this up coming hockey season

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Gibson's performance this up coming hockey season

What's your opinion on John Gibson's performance this up coming hockey season. Will he be a top 5 or top 10 goalie in the 2017-2018 season.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Gibson's performance this up coming hockey season

top 5? no. top 10 yes. don't think he can beat out goalies such as Holtby, Price, Dubnyk, Bobrovsky, Jones ect. Think he's good for 35 wins

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, certainly top 10. Anaheim is going to be much the same team in terms of quality and he should do very well there.

Dobber Sports Master

Welcome to the forum, 35KrazyKanuck,

Won't disagree with what the others are saying, but I'd love to see Gibson get through the season injury free. If he stays healthy, he could get 35 Wins.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

If he stays healthy, 35 wins is a possibility, so I'd rank him in the 10 range.

I'm not confident he can stay healthy though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, I just looked. I did not realize he had that many injuries. Certainly a concern I had not thought about.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think he manages to put together a rock star season this year. Injuries have definitely been an issue, but finger's crossed they're behind him now. Would really like to see Gibby live up to his potential starting this season.

Dobber Sports Pro

With how excellent Ryan Miller played behind a porous Vancouver D last year, I would not be surprised to see him really push Gibson & limit his starts to maybe a 50/30 or 45/35
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Dobber had some very good thoughts on Anaheim in today's ramblings, and I happen to agree that the Carlyle factor - not to mention an aging forward core - will hurt them. Of course if the team is worse that could mean Gibson has to stand on his head more, which would help his perpiherals but hurt his Wins. Long story short, I'd say more likely a top 10-15 netminder than top 5-10.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Gibson has the potential to be in the top 5, but injuries hamper his season. I own him and find that he plays lights out for a solid stretch of games, then goes down with injury.
    Replacing a starting goalie with fodder isnt easy and hurts if the absence is extended. He played 52 games last season and 40 the season prior. Not the 60-65 starts you'd hope, but he pulled out 25 wins and 6 shutouts. Peripherals are great too (2.22 gaa, 0.924 sp%). If Gibson can pull together a healthy season he could easily hit 33+ wins. I'd expec peripherals are same territory as well. This makes him a top 10.
    Miller coming in worries me a bit, but I doubt he plays a ton when Gibby is healthy. Not a 1A 1B situation in my mind.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't understands the Carlyle criticism. He's only been a head coach a few times. The first time he did really well for much longer than suggested. It was only in Toronto where he seemed to get tuned out, but that's always tough to really know what's going on.