Thread: The Athletic: Is Jared Coreau a better option in goal than Petr Mrazek?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Athletic: Is Jared Coreau a better option in goal than Petr Mrazek?

https://theathletic.com/71910/2017/0...n-petr-mrazek/

I really like the articles on this new website. Very in-depth and providing a different perspective.

Being a Coreau-Howard owner in one league, and a Mrazek owner in another, I found this article particularly relevant for me and thought others might also be interested. (I hope I'm allowed to post articles like this?)
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: The Athletic: Is Jared Coreau a better option in goal than Petr Mrazek?

Some deep goalie analysis in that article.
    That was my favourite part, just reading how one person sees the contrast in these two.

I believe two things with regard to Coreau & Mrazek:
    1. Mrazek appears to have the tools, reflexes, tenacity to be a better overall goalie. (upside, as we term skaters)
    2. Coreau appears more... Osgood-ian. Patient, basic, not overdoing it.

I've seen both of these types of goalies succeed.
    The right goalie can succeed in the right atmosphere.

The Detroit defense is SOOOO bad right now, that I think they need "cooler" goalies.
    Howard, Coreau - yes.

I could see Mrazek as a fit elsewhere... but it's not Detroit anymore.

Thanks for link.
    Definitely a great read, before even checking writer's bio - it was clear he knows his shit about goalies.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Athletic: Is Jared Coreau a better option in goal than Petr Mrazek?

Athletic has a bunch of great stuff. I officially subscribed this week. I won't be shocked if Coreau ends up the long term starter in Detroit.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I believe two things with regard to Coreau & Mrazek:
    1. Mrazek appears to have the tools, reflexes, tenacity to be a better overall goalie. (upside, as we term skaters)
    2. Coreau appears more... Osgood-ian. Patient, basic, not overdoing it.
    I recall hearing a lot of Rinne criticism at the end of the recent playoffs, saying that he was overly 'active' (Mrazek-esque) and needs Nashville's amazing Dmen to keep things under control around the crease. Coreau does seem a better fit, assuming Detroit's defence remains as is (which, let's be honest, it will be).

I guess it's this sort of thing where the goalies making the highlight reel saves may impress hockey fans, but not their goalie coach?
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    I guess it's this sort of thing where the goalies making the highlight reel saves may impress hockey fans, but not their goalie coach?
    I can't recall if I heard from Carey Price... or maybe it was Jon Quick in his Players Tribune article last year.
    But it was one of the better "light-bulb" type comments about goalies I heard within the last year or two where I thought "Yeah... that makes sense - goalies don't need to be flashy to be good".

And that was (somebody) saying "Most of goaltending is positioning yourself so that the puck is going to hit you - and you don't need to move to make the save."
    So - to that regard, reflexes/adjustments aren't as important as simply getting yourself to where you best need to be.

Even the greatest goalies can only hope to take up goal-face area as a hope to stop a cross-ice one-timer.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    "Yeah... that makes sense - goalies don't need to be flashy to be good".

And that was (somebody) saying "Most of goaltending is positioning yourself so that the puck is going to hit you - and you don't need to move to make the save."
    So - to that regard, reflexes/adjustments aren't as important as simply getting yourself to where you best need to be.
    Agreed , it's also about conserving energy over the course of a season and less chance of injury.