Thread: At what age do forwards peak? Some hard data.

The Great One

Default At what age do forwards peak? Some hard data.

In part 2 of my series of column looking at the age when players at different position peak, and following part 1 where I covered defensemen, this week the focus shifts to forwards. Click here to read the column: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...rt-2-forwards/

It was more interesting this week, since I was able to look at the data both alone and as compared to defensemen. Sure enough there were some differences among the positions, plus some key similarities, most notably recent trends differing from overall averages.

Take a look a come back here to discuss your thoughts. Were there any surprises? Where do you think the data will go in future seasons? And do you have any early predictions for part 3 of the column, which will cover goalies?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: At what age do forwards peak? Some hard data.

I'll be honest, I quick skimmed the D article and this article... but will give you thumbs up that findings seem "in line" with general major sport athlete findings...
    Which is...
    That pro athletes tend to peak around 27 years old.
    And we know that defensemen (needing to adjust more to others - and being more lanky) tend to peak/mature a bit later.

Thumbs up, here.
    General knowledge (from big data collections) like knowing that hockey F peak around 27 and D around 28 has good value.
    Well done.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I can only imagine the amount of work that went into this, just wanted to say well done Rizzee.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Agree with the others. Good work Rizzee!

The Great One

Thanks for the positive feedback. It wasn't easy to gather all the information, but got simpler the second time around after I worked the kinks out doing it last week for d-men.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

I peaked at 30 or at least that's what my supervisor said on my last evaluation report. I'm a forward by the way.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Did you look into play styles?

Points peak vs. Game peak?

Recent trends va. Longer history? (It's changed).

Trying to determine a peak age for a F point production is the first mis-step IMO. Different styles develop at different ages. Lumping all Fs into one group is the quickest path to failure

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nail Yakupov. Jaromir Jagr. The answer lies somewhere in the middle.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great article, and a good overview of the data and stats you used. One thing I find interesting is the sudden change between the age groups of 24-27 and 28-31 between the years of 2002-03 and 2003-04. I thought that it may have been due to the draft but looking at those drafts years prior (3-5 year back) they were not that great.

Could the change have come from the fact that the Devils won the cup in 2002-03? I ask because I recall they basically won because they played the trap perfectly, and I know that the trap was basically 'banned' from being played. Well, not banned but the NHL adjusted their rules so the trap could not work. Thoughts? Or am I just grasping at straws here......

Dobber Sports Master

Rizzee,
    The amount of research you did made me dizzee,
    It must have put you in a tizzee
    Kudos for the labour which must have kept you bizzee
    Reputation for shizzee

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Immortal

Nice job RD. Very interesting stuff

The Great One

Thanks for the additional positive feedback. The offseason gives me a chance to do articles like these, plus the Cage Match Tournament, which should be coming soon.

To rataylor's point, and comments in last week's column, this is far from "perfect" data; however, to have included the nuances you suggested would've made an already herculean task even more massive. The data I arrived upon provides a snapshot of circumstances, plus allows us to see trends, which in turn is useful food for thought and apparently is appreciated by most readers.