Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Golden Knights Official Abbreviation?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Las Vegas Golden Knights Official Abbreviation?

Does anyone have confirmation on what the NHL's newest franchise will use as their abbreviation?

With two names, they can't use LVGK. I'd love to see VEG, but I think VGK makes the most sense.

Anyone hear anything official? I can't find anything on NHL.com or Google, although my computer skills are sketchy. A little help so I can update my Excel spreadsheets from the expansion draft and upcoming FA frenzy?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Default Re: Las Vegas Golden Knights Official Abbreviation?

They aren't the "Las Vegas Golden Knights". They are the "Vegas Golden Knights". VGK is all I have seen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    They aren't the "Las Vegas Golden Knights". They are the "Vegas Golden Knights". VGK is all I have seen.
    I have seen that as well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    That's the dilemma though, the team is located in "Las Vegas", not "Vegas", so it messes with obsessive compulsives sense of alphanumeric order. Not saying that's me, just sayin'...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    That's the dilemma though, the team is located in "Las Vegas", not "Vegas", so it messes with obsessive compulsives sense of alphanumeric order. Not saying that's me, just sayin'...
    It's located in "Las Vegas", but their official team name doesn't include the Las. As far as the team is concerned, that part doesn't exist. If that's your issue, start the crusade of the Florida Panthers (FLA) being in Sunrise (SUN)

Dobber Sports Wizard

I believe I saw VGK being used at the draft, although to me VEG would make more sense.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's located in "Las Vegas", but their official team name doesn't include the Las. As far as the team is concerned, that part doesn't exist. If that's your issue, start the crusade of the Florida Panthers (FLA) being in Sunrise (SUN)
    I will as soon as Vegas is declared a state, but Florida is a weird example, naming a team after the state when there is another team in the state? I was okay with Phoenix changing to Arizona, but it would be weird if Calgary changed their name to Alberta Flames when Edmonton is playing in the same province, but I digress.

Also, if we're dropping Las from Vegas as an official name, then why not drop Los from Angeles...you know, other than Vegas is hugely popular.

Anyway, I was genuinely interested in the official acronym. Looks like VGK is the leading candidate.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good mercy, I hope its VEG.
    For some reason VGK makes me think of vaginas, scratchy ones... every time.
    And that bothers me. Now it shall bother ye, as well.

More seriously, Fantrax has players listed with team abbrev as "VGK" - assuming they get fed this from a NHL-approved database, than VGK it is.

Administrator

Pretty sure it's already decided. VGK.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It can't be you ... you only spell comish with one M!!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think they're just the Vegas knights because you pronounce "Las" too close to "Loss" and there's too many potential puns there. It could just be m an my conspiracy theories though
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think they're just the Vegas knights because you pronounce "Las" too close to "Loss" and there's too many potential puns there. It could just be m an my conspiracy theories though
    Yes because in Los Angeles they are known as the Angeles Kings...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yes because in Los Angeles they are known as the Angeles Kings...
    maybe one owner was thinking and the other wasn't?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I do sort of wonder if going with Vegas was/is a very smart tactic.
    1. An owner/marketer would realize that teams eventually get their named shortened... the Mighty Ducks became the Ducks... the Devil Rays became the Rays. And "Vegas Nights" is a given slogan... so let's get people there - saying "Oh, I'm gonna head out there and catch a Vegas Knights game.". Sounds pretty good, right.
    2. LVGK seems a little too close to LBGT... just saying - the letter cadence is a bit odd. (No pun intended, I'm down with the community.)
    3. The football team issue. If you call them Las Vegas... then the team would be listed right next to Los Angeles in every single hockey listing. Alphabetically, being straight Vegas separates them.

Per picture above - seems they weren't always on page with being only "Vegas".

That football thing is going to be a major rift for a while.
    I'm gonna speculate that there was a conversation at some point within the past year where Raiders ownership asked Gnights ownership if they wouldn't mind calling themselves "Vegas".
    As a further note... one might wonder if the Raiders will officially be the Las Vegas Raiders... or if, they too, will (at some point) become (simply) the Vegas Raiders.

#BehindClosedDoors

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Do any team official abbreviations use letters from their mascot name? I was thinking VGK, but I think most teams are just their city, unless there is a need to differentiate (NYI, NYR). Are the Kings LA or LAK?
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393