Dobber Sports Pro

Default Keeper Help (I'll Rep)

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I have 5 guys under contract:

Kuzy (3)
    Monahan (2)
    Hall (2)
    Johansen (1)
    Eberle (1)

I have 5 contracts despite us having a 4 keeper cap heading into the season because you can have more than 4 during the year (ie: due to trade), and if you decide to carry a 5th you have to forfeit a 1st rounder. I can't sign a 5th guy that has no contract, the 5th guy can only be someone under contract. I plan to buy out Eberle, and I acquired Monahan/Johansen via trade last year.

I can leave it as is, or put 1 of Monahan/Johansen in the 4 year slot. If I put Monahan in 4, that would leave Johansen as a 1 since that's his current contract, and the other slots are filled. If I sign Johansen to 4, I'll have Monahan as a 2 (can have 2 guys in that slot in this case since they both have that contract currently). I drafted Hedman and acquired Wheeler via trade last season since I was in the running for the title. Neither guy has a contract, or can be signed at this point since I'll already be committed to 4 guys. I don't want to lose these 2 guys for nothing, but I run that risk.

Who would you build around for next year, like what would be an ideal set up, and who would you look to move/what for? I think a 2 for 1 makes a lot of sense, to bring in 1 top end keeper, or just try to move a Monahan or Johansen or someone of that ilk for picks. I am not set on keeping Hedman, but I would really like to keep Wheeler since he's probably my safest bet for 70 pts. He would also fit perfectly as a short keeper (1 or 2 years), or even up to 3 years. I can only go up to a 3 with him if I have that slot open though.

Maybe the best question is, how would you rank the group in my league format? I also drafted Price, but goalies are mostly re-drafted and if I considered keeping him, would have same problem as say Hedman and Wheeler. D are also not kept often (this past year, was Karlsson, Subban, Burns). I also have a great rookie I get to carry over into next year in Aho.

I finished in 3rd this past year, and am set up well for the draft: 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8 to fill out my team.

I will be picking late in the first (12th). I do have the option to carry 5 keepers, but I can only really accomplish that if say I packaged Hedman/Wheeler for something, or 1 of them alone.
    In the first round last year, this is how it looked: Matthews, Laine, Okposo, Letang, Pool Party, Spezza, OEL, Holtby, Hoffman, Price, Klingberg, Carlson, Schenn, Josi.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Keeper Help (I'll Rep)

That is a lot to consider...

I'd sign Johansen to the 4year deal, and keep Monahan for the remaining 2 years. It seems to be the deal that allows you to keep them the longest.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    That is a lot to consider...

I'd sign Johansen to the 4year deal, and keep Monahan for the remaining 2 years. It seems to be the deal that allows you to keep them the longest.
    That's correct, I just find there are mixed opinions of Johansen. Like if he's never more than a 15/45 kind of guy, is that really what I want in a 4 year guy? Also, he's a c/rw right now, but his rw eligibility will be stripped after 17/18 since his previous contract was expiring after that season. Is Monahan going to be a perennial 30/30 guy, or does he have more in the tank? Essentially if I go without a 1 year guy, it just means I won't be able to sign someone next after next year, since the idea is to replace someone who is expiring. However trades are always a possibility, so not so concerned about potentially not having a 1. I just worry about losing Wheeler and Hedman. I mean Wheeler could outpoint all of my current keepers.

At the end of the day, I pay a 3rd rounder for Wheeler last year, and drafted Hedman, so not the end of the world if I lose them, but obviously it would be nice to get something for them or potentially fit them into my keeper picture.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lot to unwrap there.

If you can package one of your 4 keepers with Hedman or Wheeler for a real upgrade, I would do that.

If you can package 2 of your keepers (say Johansen and Monahan), I would do that, and the keep Wheeler as well.

I don't really know if either of these are options, but that's what I would do.

If neither of those pan out, is it possible to give Monahan the 4 year contract and give Monahan's 2 to Johansen? If not, then I would give Johansen the 4, as it keeps those players the longest.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lot to unwrap there.

If you can package one of your 4 keepers with Hedman or Wheeler for a real upgrade, I would do that.

If you can package 2 of your keepers (say Johansen and Monahan), I would do that, and the keep Wheeler as well.

I don't really know if either of these are options, but that's what I would do.

If neither of those pan out, is it possible to give Monahan the 4 year contract and give Monahan's 2 to Johansen? If not, then I would give Johansen the 4, as it keeps those players the longest.
    Thanks for the feedback. Both of the possibilities you suggested are doable, just need to find someone to dance with! If I move out 2 keepers, I'll still need to bring 1 back and sign them/wheeler. If I somehow at the end of the day end up with 5 contracts after trades, like existing ones, then I could consider keeping 5 and forfeiting my late first, but I won't be able to keep 5 and keep Wheeler, because you can't sign a 5th contract, it has to be someone with an existing contract (not expiring).

I can't do Johansen as a 2 because I have that slot occupied (Hall). Only reason Monahan could fill 2 is because he has that contract, so can leave as is or top him up (to open slot) ie: 4.

I can do Johansen 1, Monahan 4, leave as is (Johansen 1, Monahan 2), or sign Johansen to 4 and leave Monahan as 2. It really just depends on what happens in terms of my keepers, I mean I won't be able to keep both of them, and Hall and Kuzy and Wheeler. Someone's gotta go! Those keeper variations I mentioned are just assuming I keep Kuzy (3) and Hall (2).
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Genius

Too many questions and too much noise all in one place. You had me for one extended stool movement and I still haven't wrapped my brain around you post. Washing my hands and continuing on with my day. Good luck Sir.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Too many questions and too much noise all in one place. You had me for one extended stool movement an I still haven't wrapped my brain around you post. Washing my hands and continuing on with my day. Good luck Sir.
    Lol, thanks for the info, and sound advice..Not
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax