Thread: Statement on finding a stem cell donor match and what you can do to save a life

I...am your father.

Default Statement on finding a stem cell donor match and what you can do to save a life

I?m getting a lot of inquiries about getting tested for stem cells to see if you can be a match for me and I thought I would outline the process here. Thank you very much for caring. Before I begin, I should disclose to you that unfortunately neither of my sisters were a perfect stem cell match for me. That is a bit of a blow, but there are some promising leads in the world registry and when I get something concrete from my transplant coordinator I will share it with you.

Blood type does not matter. For a perfect match, they look at 10 indicators (genetic markers) and each indicator has many different possibilities. I don?t know what they are and I don?t know what my combination is. This information is way over my head. But I do know that blood type has zero impact on the process ? we can be the same or different, it doesn?t matter. One thing that does matter is race ? it?s my understanding that I can only get a perfect match from another Caucasian. But people from all backgrounds should donate and possibly save a life.

You can?t register as a stem cell donor just for me specifically. It doesn't work that way. The odds of a specific match are very small. I can't stress this enough. Tiny - almost like winning the lottery. But if 100 of you registered, I?m willing to bet that over the next decade two or three of you would match ?somebody? and save their life. Millions of people have registered as donors and yet there are still some people who never find a perfect match.
    Registering is as simple as swabbing the inside of your cheek and mailing it back. If you get selected to donate, you will go through a physical and some routine tests to make sure you are healthy. Then you get injected with a drug that stimulates your stem cell production. Then, for an hour or so, they withdraw blood and then I believe send it straight back into you ? but during its travels down the tube they pull out the stem cells. Then you?re done. Simple as that ? you?ve saved a life.

You can register and get more details here (and please do):
    https://blood.ca/?/ste?/onematch-inf...ew-registrants

Still fighting! Thanks for the continued support and love

Link for USA: https://www.dkms.org/en/register
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Great One

Default Re: Statement on finding a stem cell donor match and what you can do to save a life

Thanks for the update. Keep plugging away champ.

Stem cells. I can't even begin to think how this works. Biology isn't for me.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Statement on finding a stem cell donor match and what you can do to save a life

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Thanks for the update. Keep plugging away champ.

Stem cells. I can't even begin to think how this works. Biology isn't for me.

The technology is very cool. Stem cells are like blank cells that can become anything. They see what the body needs and they become that cell. So in my case, they weaken me and take out my cancerous bone marrow. Then they inject me with the matching stem cells. These stem cells see that I need bone marrow cells so that's what they become - they fill that need. And voila, I get cancer-free bone marrow. If my body accepts these foreign stem cells, then I'm pretty much cured. Only risk is that my body fights it. But that's the reason they weaken me so much before this happens.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Technology and science are so sophisticate these days.

Praying that you find the perfect matching donor!

Get out there and get on the donor list ya'll!!

Dobber Sports Titan

----EDIT----

People win the lottery, don't lose faith in finding a match.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Link for US-based folks, or are we ineligible?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Link for US-based folks, or are we ineligible?
    https://www.dkms.org/en/register

The Great One

I looked at the page for stem cells (https://blood.ca/en/stem-cells); it says that accept donations from healthy people between the ages of 17 to 35. I'm older than that. Am I looking at the right information (i.e., I am too old to do this)?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I looked at the page for stem cells (https://blood.ca/en/stem-cells); it says that accept donations from healthy people between the ages of 17 to 35. I'm older than that. Am I looking at the right information (i.e., I am too old to do this)?
    Yes, I'm seeing this now too. I'm not sure how strict they are with it, but I think 17 to 35 is a limitation. That would suck. I guess maybe it increases the odds of a healthy donor?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Yes, I'm seeing this now too. I'm not sure how strict they are with it, but I think 17 to 35 is a limitation. That would suck. I guess maybe it increases the odds of a healthy donor?
    I spoke to a teammate tonight at ball hockey who works for Canada Blood Services. She said the age restriction is because, for reasons unknown, that stem cells are easier to harvest and to work when they come from a young age group (and particularly men). I didn't ask her about how strict they were about the age limit. I will do that next week.